ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

grinding in reverse

b/g 182, meg tourer
noticed this over the last few days. when i put it in reverse it crunches, no matter what idle speed or how fast/slow i put it into reverse.
i have found a solution, put it in 1st or 2nd or 3rd... etc, then select reverse. this stops the crunching. any ideas whats up? it cant be doing my clutch any good!

BMW E92/Audi S3
I have the same problem mate and mines started exactly when youve said yours has too :S maybe it doesnt like the weather

b/g 182, meg tourer
clutch cable tighten?

maybe... but its not doing it at all in any other gear other than reverse. but as i say its when you go straight to reverse. if you select any gear first, keeping your foor down on the clutch, then going into reverse its 100% perfect. and that cant be a permanent fix.
sounds like the clutch is not turning properly or something, and putting it into gear first gets it moving? im not sure im no mechanic

MERCEDES CLS AMG
cable has a built in self adjustment mechanism. Could be the box ( very common JC5 130 ) or the clutch release bearing / reverse synchro. Change the oil to 75w / 80's semi synth and see if that helps.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I had the same problem with 5th gear in an old Renault I used to have. Turned out that the gear linkage had moved and just needed adjusting. I'd try that if I were you. It also happened to my 1.4 RT Alize I had a while back.

b/g 182, meg tourer
I had the same problem with 5th gear in an old Renault I used to have. Turned out that the gear linkage had moved and just needed adjusting. I'd try that if I were you. It also happened to my 1.4 RT Alize I had a while back.

i will check that.

thanks for all the help guys

b/g 182, meg tourer
try putting your clutch down and then waiting about 3 seconds then selecting reverse.

keeping the clutch down for 3 seconds or so seems to stop he crunch! i have no idea why! its not like i would just ram it straight in reverse.
anyone shine a light on it. thanks again for the help

Titanium 182
mine does this as long as your completely stationary and have the clutch right to the floor just select it slowly and its fine

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
mines having a new clutch monday.
figure out how high the biting point is?
if its near the top i'd start getting ready for a new clutch. mines crunching and has been adjusted and over time got worse again.

b/g 182, meg tourer
if its near the top i'd start getting ready for a new clutch. mines crunching and has been adjusted and over time got worse again.

how much is that costing you?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

how much is that costing you?

cost 350 quid but i had other stuff done aswell. cant fault it now feels like a different car. no more crunching at all. also no more banging on acceleration but thats another story