ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding from rear on full lock

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just buy a disc/pad combo. Cheap as chips and bearings included.
Agree, have a look on ebay, I bought some genuine rear discs and pads from renaultpartsdirect on ebay for £97 delivered but there are Mintex equivalents much cheaper. If it is the bearing that has gone then worth checking the state of that rear washer that sits behind the discs as that sometimes causes the bearings to fail if it isnt fitted properly or missing.
In my case one of my rear bearings is humming so thought it would be smarter to just buy a new rear brake kit rather than mess with paying a garge to replce the bearing.
If you do find it is just one side that has a failed bearing then I can send you my working disc that still has loads of life left for cost of postage. Im doing the swap this weekend.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Worth being careful on ebay, I hear the "mintex" ones are fakes, although it shows you mintex branded packaging in the photo, you actually get unbranded ones. Wouldn't risk it. Sounds almost certainly like your bearings are fooked. You may not feel a wobble when you jack the car as the caliper and pads are holding the disc in place, so prevent any wobble. To be sure, whip the caliper off and then wobble if you feel nothing just wobbling. Rear bearings don't last long on these, especially if you give the car a punishing. It may be worth giving the outer edge and inner portions of the disc a coating in your preferred high temp paint, as the discs can last ages, as long as they don't succumb to rust, and you are prepared to replace the bearing from within the disc. Banter in the earlier part of this thread was incredible, I hope it was light hearted... enough...

02 Iceberg 172
It's possible the circlip holding the bearing into the rotor has popped, which can allow the rotor to slide over the bearing and then the caliper bolts will grind on the rotor.

I had this happen on my 172. Had a bearing replaced but the circlip didn't seat properly, drove around fine on road for a couple of months then on track it popped first thing once it got some decent lateral load on it.

If it was a fooked bearing I would have thought you would have heard that going for a while? The spacer isn't missing is it?

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Agree, have a look on ebay, I bought some genuine rear discs and pads from renaultpartsdirect on ebay for £97 delivered but there are Mintex equivalents much cheaper. If it is the bearing that has gone then worth checking the state of that rear washer that sits behind the discs as that sometimes causes the bearings to fail if it isnt fitted properly or missing.
In my case one of my rear bearings is humming so thought it would be smarter to just buy a new rear brake kit rather than mess with paying a garge to replce the bearing.
If you do find it is just one side that has a failed bearing then I can send you my working disc that still has loads of life left for cost of postage. Im doing the swap this weekend.

Doesn't the chap off here supply them cheap? The brake chap? George?

What if they're siezed beyond that, smartass?

Never seen a clio that bad, grow a pair, noodle arms

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Gus, if I do discover the bearings are f*cked i'll take you up on that offer of your old ones.

It's possible the circlip holding the bearing into the rotor has popped, which can allow the rotor to slide over the bearing and then the caliper bolts will grind on the rotor.

I had this happen on my 172. Had a bearing replaced but the circlip didn't seat properly, drove around fine on road for a couple of months then on track it popped first thing once it got some decent lateral load on it.

If it was a fooked bearing I would have thought you would have heard that going for a while? The spacer isn't missing is it?
I've never taken the discs off my car before so I don't know what to check, now i've got a decent check list to go though, cheers mate.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Dave I know there's lots of people offering help bud.

If you wanna talk to someone over the phone while your doing it then your more than welcome to give me a call/I'll call you.

Offers there bud if you was closer I'd come and help.

[emoji2]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nice one Scott, if i've taken it all apart and i'm still confused i'll give you a bell mate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454000678.434158.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nice one Scott, if i've taken it all apart and i'm still confused i'll give you a bell mate.
No problem bud.

First thing is to get the pads out, then see if the caliper moves freely on the slides by pushing/pulling back and forth.

If it does then get the outer part off, hub nut off then the disc.

Once that's done wind the caliper piston back, should be easy.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've changed the pads on the front before and cleaned up the callipers and I helped a mate change my rear discs and pads once, so i've a fair idea of how it all works, it's removing the rear discs i'm not sure of, although i've seen it done a few times on other peoples Clios, it's just my mate had this metal spider claw thing that pulled the disc off, but i'm assuming I can just knock the disc with a silicone mallet while rotating it and it'll come off, I saw a garage monkey do it once.

I hate you Daniel.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You should be able to bud, all the one's I've done I haven't had a problem.

I have seen some people using a puller though.
Fingers crossed that you don't have any issues.

New hub nuts are worth fitting and they need to be torqued up.

I forget the correct setting but it's been posted on here.

Edit. 175 nm. [emoji106]

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If they were changed "recently" and the noise has only started since then, I bet the spacker that did the change hasn't installed the bearing spacer. If however the current setup has been fine for many, many, many, many, many miles then it's going to be either a rear wheel bearing collapse or you've got a proper fat chick in your boot.

Go... investigate the fat chick theory

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
No the noise is new and they've been on a couple of years fitted by my mate while I watched, he builds off road Land Rovers for a laugh so knows his way round cars, the way I chuck the thing around I wouldn't be surprised if i've worn the bearings out through bell end hoonery.

02 Iceberg 172
I've never taken the discs off my car before so I don't know what to check, now i've got a decent check list to go though, cheers mate.

No problem mate - although probably unlikely just thought it worth mentioning as it has happened to me before. Hope you get it sorted quick and easy.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Right just been to see HMS GuyMartin at one of the many garages he seems to work at, rear brake pads changed, old ones were f*cked and catching on the discs hub centre thing (I believe that's the technical term), the sliders were half seized with brake dust and crap so they were cleaned up, took it for a test drive and the grinding noises were still there, turns out the tyres are catching on the arch liners.

Also fixed the dodgy passenger seat airbag connector ready for the mot tomorrow, now it just remains to be seen if it fails on knackered ball joints.

I'd be f*cked if it wasn't for the Derv Destroyer.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right just been to see HMS GuyMartin at one of the many garages he seems to work at, rear brake pads changed, old ones were f*cked and catching on the discs hub centre thing (I believe that's the technical term), the sliders were half seized with brake dust and crap so they were cleaned up, took it for a test drive and the grinding noises were still there, turns out the tyres are catching on the arch liners.

Also fixed the dodgy passenger seat airbag connector ready for the mot tomorrow, now it just remains to be seen if it fails on knackered ball joints.

I'd be f*cked if it wasn't for the Derv Destroyer.
So why have the tyres randomly decided to start catching on the arch?!

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
F*ck knows mate, there's no give in the rear discs, they're not warped and the bearings are fine, the front drivers side was catching on the aux belt cover thing, so that was zip tied in place as it was flapping about, the right rear catching under load is a mystery as it doesn't seem to be doing it on the left.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I'll give it another look on the ramp tommorow if I'm there when you get your MOT mate.

Rather odd one but it's definalty not brakes related , still would advice getting a pad fitting kit as I don't like how that rear right springs sit on the pad unlike the passenger side.

Remind me I need to adjust your handbrake aswell , little bit to much travel, possibly down to stretched cables

Another thing to eliminate that rear Noise is whip the arch liner out and see if it makes the noise after.

Reactions: Gus

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Rear beam bushes failing can cause the wheels to foul on one side and not the other as the beam will sit too far one way.

I bought a 182 with this issue. I couldn't be arsed with the grief so I put a 7mm spacer on one wheel so it looked even and put it through the auction! Lol

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It's definitely coming from the rear, after work I went into Leeks car park opposite and drove in a circle on full lock both ways, at low speed my exhaust is quiet and with no rear seats I car hear every creek and rattle from the back, it's the sound of calliper grinding on disc, the more I think about it the more it sounds like the rear bearings are f*cked and the discs are moving side to side when cornering.

Next free day I get i'll jack it up and see if there's any play in the wheels/discs.

Wait a minute, you work??!!