ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greetings from Antarctica

Howdy.

Joining ClioSport is the first step in a plan I've had a lot of time to think about. As I write this I'm living and working at the Halley 6 research station on the Brunt Ice Shelf in Antarctica, 76.5 degrees south. I've been here, along with 13 others, since December 2011 and am not due to leave until the end of Feb 2013. On my return to the UK I will undoubtedly be on the look-out for a Clio 172 Cup. The job I'm returning to supplies a van, so what I need is a track-day car that will get occasional use on the road.

I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of Renaults before. I blame this state of mind on a friend's money-pit of a Renault 5 GT Turbo from 'back in the day'. I'm embarrassed to say it's taken this long to shake the stigma. I am still a self-confessed water-cooled VW fan (please don't hate me) but can't fail to recognise that VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda don't offer anything as track-ready as a Clio Cup unless we start talking big money. For this reason I feel it's time to try something new.

So, anyway, this is me saying "hello" and expecting to be doing a deal with one of you guys or girls in about six month's time!

Happy motoring :cool:

Welcome. Some questions..

1) Can you see any polar bears?

2) What do penguins taste like?

3) Do you have snow tyres?

dk

911 GTS Cab
f**king cool! I wasn't far from you in december myself (relatively speaking) when i took a 2 week cruise around the antarctic peninsula!

I am in love with the place and very jealous of you working there, such a beautiful place.

what do you do there?

and revels, polar bears are the arctic, no the antarctic........

Thanks for the welcome everybody. I'm glad my comment about VWs didn't get me banned!

Bet you've had a better summer than us.

Maybe not a 'better' summer exactly, as it's winter here, but we've definitely had less rain! So far this winter we've had temperatures down to -51.5°C and winds over 60 knots.

Welcome to the forum!! How many snowmen have you built?? plus what are you researching?

No snowmen have been built. The atmosphere is much drier than in the UK and the snow has more of a sugary consistency. Unfortunately, that means it doesn't stick together unless it's frozen, so building anything other than igloos is pretty much not going to happen. You couldn't make a snowball if your life depended on it.

I don't really research anything, I'm working for BAS as an electronics engineer. It's my job to just keep the experiments up and running - they get a pretty hard life down here. The base itself deals with atmospheric science and we have all sorts going on, from huge atmospheric radar systems to geomagnetic monitoring and infrared cameras looking at waves in the airglow layer. Anybody of my era - I'm 37 - would remember what a big deal the ozone layer was when they were at school. Halley was the base that collected the data leading to the discovery of the ozone depletion and the following banning of CFCs, etc. That's my fact of the day.

we need proof! ;)

On its way...

Welcome. Some questions..

1) Can you see any polar bears?

2) What do penguins taste like?

3) Do you have snow tyres?

I see the Polar Bear question has been taken care of! We're not allowed to eat penguins any more, so I couldn't say what they taste like. There are still recipe books around from previous winters that contain an insight from back when you could, though. There's a recipe for penguin-egg omelette that was described in the comments simply as "fishy"...

There aren't any tyres fitted to anything here - all of the vehicles (and I mean ALL) have tracks.

Not the most amazing set of photos but proof enough?

cc554e2f.jpg

4cf0d6f3.jpg

9cab3513.jpg

eba70115.jpg

1609c779.jpg

c151b9de.jpg

59179154.jpg

031a8dd9.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Welcome and wow as to your location!

If I PM you my address can you post me one of those penguins, I need one in my life!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Amazing! However, if a dog comes running into your camp being chased by some Norwegians in a helicopter get the f**k out of there double lively!!!

Welcome to the club.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Amazing pictures id love to go to antarctica

Welcome to the Club mate!

dk

911 GTS Cab
epic pictures, i am hugely jealous, would love to work there, pics are bringing back so many memories of my trip, the scenery is just breathtaking! Love the adelie penguins too, vey cute.

oh and along with polar bears, the north lights don't appear at the south pole, its the southern lights, Aurora Australis ;)

amateurs......

182 Trophy
Amazing, keep the pics coming if you have the time
ps if you've come from vw's then a 172cup will blow your mind pace wise, so raw.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Wow! That's all I can say!
I had to lol at the sign post!

Oh and welcome to the club, looks like you're into photography too by the pics :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Welcome!

Awesome photos! Looks like an epic place to work.

How much to bring me a penguin back? :D

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Very very jealous. Some lovely shots too, just a pity that photobucket seems to have sapped some of the quality!

Welcome along mate :D

Clio
lol at Cliosport taking over the world. Please become a member so Brian has to send you membership pack and you can officially place a CS sticker on Antartica. DK let us down.

Am I right in thinking you've seen the sun recently for the first time in months?

Welcome.

lol at Cliosport taking over the world. Please become a member so Brian has to send you membership pack and you can officially place a CS sticker on Antartica. DK let us down.

Am I right in thinking you've seen the sun recently for the first time in months?

Welcome.

Membership is an likely option, but I think I'll get myself in a 172 first. Also, I believe the deadline for shipping anything has now passed - we get one delivery per year! You're right about the sun, though; it set on April 30th and rose again on August 11th. Over three months of darkness does start to wear you down a bit towards the end.

Very very jealous. Some lovely shots too, just a pity that photobucket seems to have sapped some of the quality!

Welcome along mate :D

It's probably not Photobucket's fault. I've had to massively decrease the image sizes due to the very small bandwidth available here. We have a 256k up/256k down VSAT connection but it's shared amongst all of the experiments transmitting data back to Cambridge plus 13 other people. Still, I consider us fortunate to have any link to the civilised world at all, really.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

Welcome.

I'd love to send a pack to Antartica!
One went to Kazakhstan last week, been loads for Australia recently too. I'm still not sure if the woman in the post office loves or hates me but the people behind me in the queue most definitely hate me (a lot)