ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Road/Track 172

It's a demo car for Sitech racing so not forged yet as trying to see what standard parts will take. Justnow it has intake , exhaust, tubular manifold and a efr turbo.
He went out in the knockhill round of time attack as a one hit wonder and ended up winning his class

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Oh right! Nice to know the standard engine is on for 300. I know you're looking at about 250-260bhp on the standard turbo.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Just put a deposit down on a gripper box with 13/60 fd , god knows when I will get around to fitting it as I seem to be out the country more than in it just now.

Will the standard clutch be ok with the lsd , I've never had it slip before but some of the force would of been lost in wheel spin.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks makes for a easy switch out then , I may move the ecu and fuse box inside the car to clean up the engine bay.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Well parts a piling up while I'm away on holiday I now have a gripper box, lightweight flywheel and some rear AST suspension to fit, only problem is I won't have time to fit any of it before I have to go back to work. So looks like that might be a job for Fraser and Stu lol.

Are ARP bolts worthwhile for the flywheel or just new standards and some lock tight ?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks Tom do you mind where you got them from, I will get a set ordered up ASAP.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Jon Foz kindly dropped the box off yesterday and flywheel turned up today :)
I gave the box a quick paint as it had been painted black in the past.

1409395792.jpg

1409395788.jpg

1409395784.jpg

I will be dropping the car off to Fraser and Stu from on here for the job of fitting the parts while I bugger off to the other side of the world with work.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Hopefully thee next time I see the car it will have some extra grip.
Was actually shocked it started so easily today as its sat on the trailer untouched, for over 2 months since the last track day.

37b90ca8-d66a-487c-bb6b-ffa0951b219f.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I now hope to go racing in the SLS challange at Knockhill next year :clap:. This is a Time Attack style series where the groups are divided by power to weight.

Classes: Based on Power at WHEELS

• Pro: 450+ bhp/tonne, slicks allowed, race fuel, no blue book aero regs for rear wings etc
    A: 350-450 = 100bhp margin
    B: 270-350 = 80bhp margin
    C: 210-270 = 60bhp margin
    D: 160-210 = 50bhp margin
    E: <160

After reading the regs I need to make a few more changes, mainly saftey stuff with kill switches , fire system and also need a fuel sampeling point.

Ive just bought the Lifeline kit and kill switches from Jon Foz on here so will get that fitted over winter, the other thing I would like to do is move the ecu and fues box from the engine bay to inside the car. As I hate wiring this is a job im really not looking forward to.

1410095102.jpg

Also got this thing fired up last week for the first time in over a year so NEED to get it back on track aswell.

1409240909.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Its a 2006 intrepid chassis with 2005 Vortex 125cc engine (42bhp) , 6 speed box , 50mm axle ,tiller seat....

They are brilliant fun much more so than my old rotax max that i had, I have a spare 2006 vortex engine in the trailer thats not been ran since it was rebuilt.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Is that power output correct. 42bhp from 125cc is 336bhp per ltr NA. That F1 levels of power output.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Yip the engine thats in just now might be down on that a little as its due a piston soon , but 40/44 bhp is the norm for this class of kart they rev to 12500 rpm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KZ1_(karting)

If you think thats crazy google Aixro XR50 , they are a small rotary engine that can be picked up with one hand but make 48 bhp

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Yip the engine thats in just now might be down on that a little as its due a piston soon , but 40/44 bhp is the norm for this class of kart they rev to 12500 rpm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KZ1_(karting)

If you think thats crazy google Aixro XR50 , they are a small rotary engine that can be picked up with one hand but make 48 bhp

Thats crazy power for such a small engine! Guess with the high rpm and single cylinder, the torque output wont be that high.

I want to get my boy into karting as soon as he is old enough so will have to do my homework. He is only 2 just now so I have a few years yet. lol

Last edited:
Well Neil hired some help while he's abroad working.

Me and Stu made a start tonight on removing the old box, clutch and flywheel, ready for the new billet fly, ARP bolts, new clutch and box with gripper diff!

yta3asep.jpg

u8apegu5.jpg

ny7y5y5e.jpg

Very oily old box!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I knew the shifter seal was leaking but , dam that's a lot of oil on the inside of the housing lol
Glad the cars in good hands, can't wait to get it back on track with more grip and shorter gearing.

Need to get rid of all that messy power steering pipe work aswell, all the eps parts bought so that's the next job.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Well Neil hired some help while he's abroad working.

Me and Stu made a start tonight on removing the old box, clutch and flywheel, ready for the new billet fly, ARP bolts, new clutch and box with gripper diff!

yta3asep.jpg

u8apegu5.jpg

ny7y5y5e.jpg

Very oily old box!

Didn't realise you guys were race engineers now! Need to remember that if mine is ever ready to race lol.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Fraser/Stu just got your msg when I landed in Amsterdam will give you a shout later to arrange picking it up. Then we can see if it will lay down two lines instead of one :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Are the arp flywheel bolts stretch to yield or can you torque them up as many times as you like?

Good work on getting it all done.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Got a msg from Fraser.J. last night after he had gave it a quick test " your thing is rapid revs so quick" , so really looking forward to getting it back now. Will get one track day in to test out the difference the box has made, then pull it to bits to fit the AST rears and roll bar.
I also have electric power steering parts coming from SkidMarx.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Bonnet came up after one aero catch wasn't shut properly and the other one failed, damaged bonnet, smashed screen and dented roof. Need to check the roof tomorrow in the day light to see how bad it is.