ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Graham's summer 172 cup track car

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
So glad you've got rid of that horrible exhaust :wink:

What's the k-tech stealth like with a decat no silencer mid section?

I'd like to know the same, got the cat back on at the moment, and the decat waiting to go on, seen youtube videos of a raspy disgusting mess, hoping thats not the case lol

No idea yet chaps! I've only got the manifold on and it's crazy loud. I've seen the youtube videos too which don't sound brilliant but I'll get a video when the rest of the exhaust and gaskets turn up.

Only just seen this Graham, awesome work :smiley:

Cheers Dan, slowly getting there.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just catching up with this now, you don't hang about working on the car lol! Where was that driveshaft? I thought it only had the tripod bit on the wet side of the box?

Also wondering how the exhaust will sound. Bored of how quiet my ktec stealth with centre silencer and cat is after hearing a decatted PMS system :hearteyes: such want!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just catching up with this now, you don't hang about working on the car lol! Where was that driveshaft? I thought it only had the tripod bit on the wet side of the box?

Also wondering how the exhaust will sound. Bored of how quiet my ktec stealth with centre silencer and cat is after hearing a decatted PMS system :hearteyes: such want!
Well when I do work on it I try to go absolutely crazy getting everything done at once! Having played with clios a lot recently I seem to be able to rip them apart way too quick :D That D/S is the o/s one. They both have a tripod but that one has the cup external to the gearbox although mine is now damaged so I've had to get a new driveshaft which I picked up today :) Thank god I didn't have what yours did!

Oh man I'm wanting to know too. It should sound good although the PMS is really what I want so desperately. Will fit the exhaust before I go on hol if everything turns up in time :D

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well when I do work on it I try to go absolutely crazy getting everything done at once! Having played with clios a lot recently I seem to be able to rip them apart way too quick :smiley: That D/S is the o/s one. They both have a tripod but that one has the cup external to the gearbox although mine is now damaged so I've had to get a new driveshaft which I picked up today :smile: Thank god I didn't have what yours did!

Oh man I'm wanting to know too. It should sound good although the PMS is really what I want so desperately. Will fit the exhaust before I go on hol if everything turns up in time :smiley:
Lol! I don't know if an ability to rip clios apart quickly is a good or a bad thing 😂 Ahh, I forgot the offside one had that bit on the driveshaft too. But yeah, you got lucky with that. I really should get my old box repaired now thinking about it, my current temporary one is rather whiny but it goes fine...

A decat with centre silencer might be the way to go if the full hog is too loud or just raspy and s**t. Will keep an eye out for your video though :wink:

PMS could bankrupt me if I lost my sensible side. So much want for nearly everything they have and to just go full racecar!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@sburrell93 It's a good thing I think as they usually go back together...although they have been known not to!

Today I managed to get a little bit more work done on the car as now we've finished Martin's I'm stoked to get on track. It's really nice to know I don't really have much to do any more before it's ready for the track.

First job was to fit the Yanoo stiff shift 1.0. Of course I managed to break the reverse collar whilst doing this so now it's a little more tricky to select reverse but hey ho. The kit comes with the centre bushing on the gearstick and brass bushes for the bottom. I cannot for the life of me work out what the extra nut and bolt are for and had the same issue with the previous kit I fitted. As expected though the shift feels brilliant, tight and with absolutely no slop. Chuffed. Managed to completely destroy the heatshield in the process as the fixings were welded together. A project for another day.
0F3B7DEE-A4A1-403A-A433-DF48557A62B7_zpsn4ksmqnd.jpg
D524841D-A0B9-4C02-8D8A-CDE2E294FA01_zpsulor4dj1.jpg

1D023917-C092-4E60-84CB-D69E6BC3C9C7_zpsifnavmae.jpg

Just as I finished the gear assembly my little parcel force friend turned up with a present. STEALTH SUPER SPORT YIPPEE. This was a total bargain to say the least. When comparing the old and new systems it's clear to see the old system was rather a weedy diameter. Oh my it's nice to be rid of the big chavtastic tail pipe. At the moment it's not fitted up properly as I need to get clamps, lambdas and wait for the gaskets to turn up but the exhaust is in place :smiley: My concern is that the link pipe is a narrower diameter than the rest of the system so will offer a small restriction. On a side note I put the link pipe and cat next to one another and thankfully will be able to make a bolt in 172 cat to fit the 182 manifold.
526BA7D8-937A-4855-948C-5CE2FE6429B5_zpsq1kbncy7.jpg
4C668DBA-FFD3-42DE-9075-E19D116768EA_zpsvhquwg70.jpg

I quickly swapped the pads over to the RC5+ items which took all of ten minutes.

Finally the last job of the day was to put my new sticker from @Martin. on the sunstrip. COOOOOLLLL!!!! :cool::cool::cool:
6B839759-0EB9-4409-99B3-E57087AEE2CE_zpsf3bqo9mb.jpg

Before I go away I should be able to get the driveshaft and harnesses sorted. Then I just need seat subframes and the battery relocated and we're ready to part, can't bloody wait.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Very quick update.
Car is pretty much ready to go on track now but I've lost all my free time now so will have to do the last bits in the evenings.

Before I went away I got some omp subframe a fitted. And the exhaust is all on the car now.

Just a quick list of the bits left to do though
  • Relocate battery with two cut off switches for batter and engine and fit bulkhead though panel
  • Fit up everything under the skuttle panel
  • All gaskets fitting in exhaust and clamp rear section
  • Fit the new r888s to the rears
  • Finish off the harness floor fittings.
  • Secure the rear coilover platforms
  • Fit the drivers seat with a slider
  • Attach a front tow strap
  • Passengers foot rest
  • Heal toe throttle

Hopefully I'll get that all done this week if the postman plays ball. Then it's time to get racing!!!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Well I barely got anything done to the car this weekend because of a few hiccups with parts. The little spacers for the harness mounts are marginally to large but not deep enough to fit in the harness fittings. I'll sort that out with mr drill soon.

I did manage to get the battery relocated though! It took me almost all day as I want to to make sure it was done properly. I engineered this little bracket out of ali to hold the positive connector block which took me a couple of hours to do properly but I'm very happy with. The wire runs through the bulkhead using a longacre bulkhead thru connector which gives a lovely finish. Earth is on the old isofix bar holes with a nice bit of bare metal sanded out of the paint. At first when I connected the battery it didn't work which was a bit of a bummer but after a quick check using the multi meters I established one of the kill switches was faulty. As a temporary measure I've bypassed it and just have the one inside the car for the moment. In the future I will need to change the cable as it's 16mm and a bit small for the starter to draw on from such a long cable length. Piccies :smile:

Earth
5F5D11F3-AD1A-4BA1-B46C-0047C44FF292_zpsqb4son6k.jpg

Bulkhead thu connector
813C4E5E-1AA2-438F-8853-5B43F587E019_zps5crvgaxt.jpg

Outside kill switch (faulty one!)
1750A288-87E6-40AB-84D1-22A94EF003CB_zpsaayht5mf.jpg

The beautiful bracket
D5A0CD62-396C-4617-963E-B897BF71E210_zpscjvucpgx.jpg

The only other bit I got done today was wack on the tow strap.
1BAFEB83-4407-46A3-83CB-D4523C730789_zpszwrhzygw.jpg

finally here are some pics of how it standard currently.
5A46D5C8-A5A4-44F1-80F5-2000387FA8B7_zpsqyclnvdo.jpg
6DA65852-5811-4D68-BB31-8BB6E4E886D4_zpsdzk8fwsb.jpg
DB5F32E8-AD4F-42D0-B665-B1BE424F8CA8_zps5hkvldmd.jpg
CEE4E57C-3F36-44AA-86EA-0237993283E2_zpsh2sanp3t.jpg

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Looks awesome mate, you using the original battery?

Also PMd you about unlocking my airbag ECU if possible, and I recall you were after some aircon pipe seals for your DCI? Ive just removed mine so can sort you out if needed.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thank you for all the nice comments chaps. Today didn't go quite to plan and I had a bit of a lazy day. @Martin. popped over this morning on his way home so we went out for a spin with me as passenger because I'm not actually insured on the car, my rents are. DOC cover is a wonderful thing and we had some fun. Stupidly I left my keys in his car like a true plonker so haven't been able to get into the car all afternoon so decided to fit some rather sexy brake ducts from CMComposites. I did get a bit excited when I first got them and accidently chopped a bit much from the n/s fog support so had to make a small bracket to hold the outer section of the duct. A bit of time with the dremel on the front bumper, 6x16mm 4.8mm peel rivets and they're in. Absolutely love them.

6AF547F5-96AD-4966-AF4D-D5254A71C658_zps7oshtmhz.jpg
0AD0743C-C156-4907-83F5-3A48B528898F_zpsihmr5blk.jpg

CHOP CHOP
1C7AF57A-72EA-4C55-BFE7-18B25AE12F43_zpsf2rjvxun.jpg

Cut too much out, woops.
B01E15A8-E521-4D80-8DD1-766B6A5C760C_zpszt2a9lj8.jpg

One side done
BF7E1E5C-470B-4C03-9835-876494F0BE06_zpsijkm6jdm.jpg

5632C4D5-A66B-4682-BF26-B936B9909A2D_zpsj8pl0dkb.jpg

0266CE19-D490-4A3B-ADB7-06C790EC5178_zpsggjmivvm.jpg
EC2BBF5E-F77D-47F4-B6E3-8D8B3C25BDE6_zpspnluubuv.jpg
5A57A8AB-D37A-4BEE-8FCB-1AE5179576BA_zpsv4i08ivs.jpg

Also put some new battery terminals on although I really need to get new battery cable as the current one is so thin you can't start the car from it which is very annoying.
68373619-4EFC-4659-B17D-22C3FEEF3AA2_zpsjgfek1ig.jpg

....and being the idiot I am I fitted the new kill switch totally wrong but I'll sort that out one day soon.
2FC67B07-AD92-461B-8D03-5DCBE7609978_zpsv7a4fbot.jpg

I've got your keys with me today :smile:

Love the cup. Feels very fast! Would be interesting to see what power it's actually making!

Loving the ducts too, even though you butchered it to start off with, they still look properly done!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Brands Hatch :D

The first track day happened finally and oh boy was it good.

I'll start with the build up to Brands. The car was nearly finished after the last update and so I booked my first evening session for the 28th although this turned out to be the biggest stress ever.

Saturday just gone, 25th, I'd written a list of things that needed to be done to finish the car for the Tuesday and of course it didn't go to plan at all. Saturday morning I put the new lambda sensors in, finished off the interior and unseized the rear brakes. I finished looping the rack using the blanks and pipe, cut some bits in the bumper and did a raft of other bits.
05802BDF-ECBB-4993-B1DE-895E4F987E38_zpsbqse2yap.jpg
A38237CC-AC7F-425B-A3C7-82ED5CB4D4BF_zpsymoolgix.jpg
EB78A8F8-9EDA-4835-AAB9-19CF53ACDA35_zps1yaleqfg.jpg

Earlier in the week I'd ordered a 50mm battery cable but this was the demise of the weekend as it didn't turn up apart from all the extra parts I needed to fit it. As a result the battery cable had to be shortened to eliminate the kill switches as the existing 10m was way way too long for 16mm cable. After this I got myself insured with Greenlight so I can drive the car and test out any little mods I do. The big difficulties started with the steering, I drove the car for about 10 miles and noticed the steering was incredibly twitchy in the centre but was heavy after you turned the wheel a small amount. I worked out this could be one of two things, play in the rack or play in the column and after speak to a few people established it was likely the rack and not the column.

Sunday came and I got desperate for a full DCi EPAS set up so put the call out to CS and everyone I knew. The savior @stevem42 had exactly what I was after and I collected a rack and steering column (just incase) the same day and went about fitting it that evening. To say fitting it was fun would be a total lie but I had the subframe off in 30 minutes and started to fit up the new rack. Quickly I noticed the old rack had a shot inner tie rod so decided to keep the DCI inners and outers. They loosened up nicely and didn't have any knocking. So that was Sunday done.
E3D32BEB-4146-47F3-90A9-2BCC377502BB_zpsbdrwqvds.jpg

Monday I had work and only 2 hours when I got home to adjust the camber, adjust the lower half of the epas column so the turns were the same side to side but of course this involved taking out the whole lower dash and at 10pm it was all done. The camber wasn't particularly scientific and I just adjusted it to maximum on the bolts which turned out to be 2.5 and 3.5 on the other which was odd. The day of the track day came and whilst at work my Dad got the tracking done for me although unfortunately wasn't particularly clued up on the camber settings so didn't get the 3.5 side done. Hey ho, 5 minutes out each wheel seemed to be agreed as a good setting. Done though, to the last hour, it was a total panic to make sure the car was actually driveable.
F4C878E0-2213-4F63-9AAD-52453EBBB188_zpsglr3ezom.jpg

So on to the actual track day. I didn't feel good going into it as the car was pretty much untested since I'd done all the work but as soon as I got there I knew it was a goodun.
DSC02326_zpsjgpokbxc.jpg
LHP_1254_zpsqxoqf1zc.jpg
LHP_1363_zpsgcg1vrtl.jpg
LHP_1456_zpszrvok7zk.jpg
LHP_1843_zpskbrfcchc.jpg
LHP_1905_zpscnhly2sx.jpg
LHP_2332_zpszotiygnr.jpg
DSC02332_zpscfxshyy3.jpg
DSC02356_zpslg4jmwyh.jpg

So the day was a total success. I could unfortunately feel some play in the steering still and had to do the track time with the EPAS off so this will be fixed for next time. I also managed to cook the brakes and after my first session I came in with the brakes smoking a lot but no fade so it' s just a case of getting some pipes and deflector plates on the back of the ducts. As the photos show, had a few bumper issues so will get some catches for that too. Other than that the car was perfect, performed flat out with no dramas and took a real beating with the small breaks it had between going out. Thanks to @Martin. for coming down and once again sorry for the pathetically short passenger time! It was a jolly good evening to say the least.

SchwepTek™
Really interesting read that.

Hoping to get mine out for its for day soon.

Can I ask how you finished off the harness mounts?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Really interesting read that.

Hoping to get mine out for its for day soon.

Can I ask how you finished off the harness mounts?
Quick get out there! The booking made me get mine finished despite the final rush being horrible :smile:
I used these for the insides and then bought just the spacer on it's own for the outsides http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Belt...113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4199c19201. They're bolted on the exhaust tunnel towards the back to give a good angle for the harness. The outside is in the existing seatbelt bolt hole using the original bolt. Top is of course around the harness bar.

@sburrell93 it was 94 db at 5k with the 182 mani, link pipe and supersport stealth.

Not going at full clap but a little bit of exhaust for ya :)

Last edited:
  SchwepTek™
Quick get out there! The booking made me get mine finished despite the final rush being horrible :)
I used these for the insides and then bought just the spacer on it's own for the outsides http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Belt...113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4199c19201. They're bolted on the exhaust tunnel towards the back to give a good angle for the harness. The outside is in the existing seatbelt bolt hole using the original bolt. Top is of course around the harness bar.

Ah cool thanks. Take it yours are bolt in harnesses then and not clip in? Have you got a photo of the exhaust tunnel bolts? Did have the bolts go in facing the the roof or on the side facing into the seat? Enough room for the spreader? Questions questions lol...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Ah cool thanks. Take it yours are bolt in harnesses then and not clip in? Have you got a photo of the exhaust tunnel bolts? Did have the bolts go in facing the the roof or on the side facing into the seat? Enough room for the spreader? Questions questions lol...
Mine are bolt in yeah although I would prefer to have clip on ones. It came down to cost though. I haven't got a photo! the only one I don't have. They're on the angled part of the tunnel close to the rear seat box. I'll get some photos as soon as I can but the car is garaged up ATM.

Yes though, absolutely loads of room for the spreader plates in the tunnel.

SchwepTek™
Mine are bolt in yeah although I would prefer to have clip on ones. It came down to cost though. I haven't got a photo! the only one I don't have. They're on the angled part of the tunnel close to the rear seat box. I'll get some photos as soon as I can but the car is garaged up ATM.

Yes though, absolutely loads of room for the spreader plates in the tunnel.

Cheers for that. Just waiting for delivery of spreader plates and the paint to dry inside lol....

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That reminds me, still need to get your Go Pro vids uploaded!!
Woops I forgot to attach the video to this thread.

Car is now going into winter hibernation in a barn 50 miles from me. There are a few things I need to get done on the car before it's next outing and MOT but they can all wait. Next update way into 2016!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
@GrahamS did you have to remove the dashboard to get the longacre battery connector through? I had the top off today and looks like i have to remove the whole dash!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@GrahamS did you have to remove the dashboard to get the longacre battery connector through? I had the top off today and looks like i have to remove the whole dash!

I didn't no although it's a bloody tight squeeze behind there to get the nut on the terminal. The difficulty is that a lot of the bulkhead at that level is double skinned or has a hollow behind it for the screen vents so your options are limited. Definitely possible to just have the top dash off though.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Thanks. Id prefer to do it there purely because it looks neater and is out the way! As mine has abs my options are limited until further down the bulkhead and then im worried about corrosion!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
@GrahamS one last question (promise!) did you fit the 172 track rods amd ends to your dci rack? The dci rods look longer?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@GrahamS one last question (promise!) did you fit the 172 track rods amd ends to your dci rack? The dci rods look longer?
Lol, no worries. It's good to have questions!

The skuttle is definitely the best place because it's always dry in that place and won't cause leaks if the car gets caught outside in the rain. The run to the kill switch in the centre is also reduced compared to having the thru connection lower down.

If I remember correctly the track rod ends are one the original cup type and one dci. In reality it doesn't matter though as the adjustment gives you enough for any set up you could think of. On my dci which has 172 running gear I have the DCI track rods. The racks are the same width.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
2016 Update
MOT epic fail this morning!
Last night we went at picked up the car from the barn it had been laying in for the last three months. I knew the cover had blown off before I got there and I was of course expecting the tyres and battery to be flat. It fired straight up though and after a little slipping down the track we were out on the open road again.
This morning my plans to get the car MOT ready just weren't meant to be. I went to get the cat welded into the same size as the link pipe, got to Laddingford engineering and then found out what I thought was the cat had been split and decatted...brilliant. To cut a long story short the poor quality cat fitting kit snapped a bolt, I forgot my laptop to turn off the engine light, I lost my compression tester and I found out the squib was not recoverable for a horn. It was also 2 degrees and not nice weather to be spannering in.

Soot! Lots and lots of soot in the exhaust. I think this is a valve stem seal that's gone but am waiting to have the manifold off to see if one of the exhaust ports is sooty. I'll probably do this job myself if it is the stem seal.
07C9BC00-EF87-44A3-AC3C-E4CF7C06EA10_zpsykjghjg9.jpg

Rusty rad clips!
2492E9DF-7421-45A8-912D-B937EFBE1CA3_zps45o8mclg.jpg

Think a mouse has been at this
B1B5322B-E01D-40D7-8AD9-F441E376F610_zpsv4wngyju.jpg

Junk
E5E2216D-7F3E-4B38-BAB9-146F2BF835F8_zpsoj0tjoro.jpg

Barn dust
E5868890-3B45-40F1-8B4B-A157C64DBF5E_zpsmjvm26tr.jpg

I now have a long list of bits to do to the car before it's back on the road but unfortunately this isn't going to start taking shape until may when I finish my uni exams and am free forever :smile:

There is a serious plan though....BOOST. I've priced it up, know what parts I need and am slowly buying parts for a DIY low boost coversion so watch this space. It's probably going to start taking serious shape towards the end of summer when I'm working and I've done all the track days I want.

Thanks for looking :smile:

2016 Update

There is a serious plan though....BOOST. I've priced it up, know what parts I need and am slowly buying parts for a DIY low boost coversion so watch this space. It's probably going to start taking serious shape towards the end of summer when I'm working and I've done all the track days I want.

Thanks for looking :smile:

Great update buddy! Glad to see you're going to be cracking on with it. Could you PM me what you've come up with price/parts wise for a DIY boost conversion? im sooo tempted to boost mine this year but want to get some other mechanical stuff done first.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
It's about time for an update me thinks. I haven't been down to the car since the MOT debacle as it's about 75 miles from where I've moved to now which is a shame as I'm desperate to do some work on the car before track day season is really upon us. I have been stock piling parts in the corner of our flat though so there's a lot to be done when the time comes. Unfortunately it costs a fair amount to go and grab the car to play with it for the weekend so I'm going to spend a week on it soon sorting out everything....keep telling myself that. Annoyingly though I bloody left a bag of all my tools in the car last time I went to see it so a lot of replacements have been purchased since!

I've had a bit of a change of tune with the car recently. Previously I've taken a function over form approach but I'd really like to start putting a bit more thought into doing stuff really well and gradually making the car clean with painted bits and zinc coated nuts and bolts etc. It'll be a slow process but hopefully a nice result when it's done.

After going to Bedford in Feb and seeing some of the cars there and the speed of the track my biggest priority is to get a full cage fitted to the car. I'm probably going to get a full safety devices job but would consider a more intricate custom job. The main advantage of the SD being the bolt in ability. You can't put a price on your life so the ebay cage will be for sale at some point. It's been perfect to get me going with a good place to mount harnesses but I want to do the track day thing a bit more seriously.

Plans for the car are to rebuild the engine with new rings, all bearings, seals and a rebuilt head with f4r830 valve springs as they're about 12% stronger from my calculations. @Engine Dynamics have recently done a 230 kit with these springs and have seen good results so I'm going to future proof the engine whilst it's being built. Cams will be 438s from my 182 but when going boost I'll swap back. Eventually boost will happen but not until I've got the cage in and the rest of the car is a spot on base.

These are the bits I've got waiting to go on the car.
172 manifold, cat and decat (need 172 bits for MOT ease, 172 decat for when boost arrives, will swap back to 182 mani for track sessions whilst N/A)
Honed engine block. Will check mine when engine is apart to compare condition.
Head gasket set
Schroth 6 point harness (not sure which model)
OMP 4 point saloon harness (may convert to 6 point)
ph1 horn stalk
walbro 255 FP
3 oz f1's for future wet tyres (need a fourth)
CM Composites roof scoop.
New EPAS column
35mm battery cable and FIA cut offs
Vibratechnic engine mounts
Cup Racer Ducts and deflectors (non-gen)

There are a lot of plans for bits to go on the car like a full suspension refresh, solid mounts, new seats etc etc but all for another day, my wallet has run dry! Sorry for the essay :)

AC937642-C4E0-41A3-826D-0D4846E733DD_zpsgabwmg40.jpg
91C8F7A6-8FA9-4501-A25A-BBB1A29A51A6_zpswuwnahj1.jpg
9211A159-1872-4983-86F3-B83100851254_zpsxf1zkbai.jpg
230A2900-1E9E-4322-AE33-AB896EBBF2EC_zps36ltdsvy.jpg

172 Ph1
Nice update , shame the car is 75miles odd away .
It'll all come together soon enough . Now the sun is out - full steam ahead i suspect .

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Update 1

It's action week! I'm spending the whole week working on the car after having my final ever uni exam on Monday. Since January time there's been a huge growing pile of parts in my living room ready for me to fit but it's certainly a task to get them all done in such a short time period.

After picking the car up on Sunday from it's resting place it was a brilliant drive back. I noticed a couple of small things which I wanted to address, the main one being a misfire which has developed. More on that later. The week hasn't exactly got off to a flying start. Tuesday was almost rained off completely although it allowed me to clean the car which was suffering from a bit of barn dust. A quick dry spell thankfully saw me get the 172 manifold and cat on the car for MOT but I found the car has been binned on the o/s at some point, nothing hurting the car now but the subframe looks to have taken a knock and there is damage to the inner arch. There's also a fair build up of surface rust on parts where it's been sitting on soil for the winter so the sooner I get a house the better. Slight issue with the 172 manifold touching the subframe but hopefully the solid engine mounts will resolve that as bringing the standard o/s mount didn't rectify it yesterday.
381B1762-3693-4CFA-AF33-8F6186B922DD_zpslndrmz0d.jpg

28631C87-6A82-490B-9E31-F4B0CCF98467_zpscf4tmlzi.jpg
910A0F4C-E520-4A21-958C-101AF8A5D3B0_zpspfjrhxhv.jpg
43D7BA64-6DAD-4042-9E0C-51A6D0E4FE06_zpsu7cjsmto.jpg

Wednesday was a better day for getting things done although wasn't perfect. The misfire was really bugging me and I needed it to pass emission at the MOT so went about trying to find it. A quick pull of the plugs showed cylinder 2 was sooty and not firing correctly, I think it's the injector but am yet to try all their resistances when cold. Unplugging the lambda and all the other inlet sensors didn't make it better so it's safe to assume it's the injector, plug, leads or coilpack. Luckily I can swap these from the 182 to check. Amusingly after taking the plugs out I went to test the compression and the thing exploded sending the main unit flinging out and leaving the fitting in the head....a slight brown pants and very loud moment. Thankfully it came out with ease.
653F9A42-2B9B-41B3-A1EC-AB37205DC9C3_zpse47legvg.jpg

C0CD7722-F0EE-4E51-9CE7-BC7EA8F46BE5_zpssxwuq1ep.jpg

MOT time in the evening did see the car fail but only on minor things which I'm glad are getting sorted. Front wheel bearing is totally shot and has a lot of play in, potentially my steering issue and the hand brake being inefficient on one side. Upon further investigation a complete plonker has put the o/s handbrake cable on the wrong way round.
DF47F59D-4C44-42DB-BD1D-EA0E2F931738_zpskg7r4jl4.jpg
A8C51FE2-08A4-4772-AF0A-0471D8BC0101_zpsicfudisf.jpg

Plans for the rest of the week
  • roof scoop
  • pass MOT
  • PMS shifter
  • Harnesses
  • Cup racer brake ducts
  • Braided lines and TYP200 fluid
  • Battery cable and kill switches
  • Source replacement rad hose as it's rubbed on the block
Thanks for reading as always :) More updates later in the week.

Last edited:

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Good thread mate, lots of ideas!

Ive got 25mm2 battery cable, was that what you had before that was to thin?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Looks awesome.

What you doing with the brake ducts you have fitted? I'm after some but thought CMC had gone?