ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

got shortened front shocks, do I need rears aswell?

318i e46, 323ti e36
Basically a while back I got some 60mm spax springs. Having got them fitted I eventually realised that when I turned full lock left or right I could hear a pinging noise my mechanic thought I needed to replace the top mounts so I did but in the end we found that the spring was moving on the oe shock. I've now brought some shortened front shocks (gmax hopefully not as bad as everyone says) and I'm. Wondering whether shortened and uprated at the front and not the back will make the ride worse. As I said I'm only trying to get rid of the knocking.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Mate, Have you got the Spax lowering springs at the rear too?... The OE dampers have a set travel (based on the standard ride height). When you lower the car the damper goes into bump (approximately the same amount you have lowered the car). Therefore you reduce the available 'bump' travel and increase the 'rebound' travel of the damper at the new lowered ride height.

If the rear goes into an extreme 'bump' condition, the damper (in worst case) can run out of travel and bottom out, instantly increasing the rear axle roll stifness (as the spring won't be absorbing the force anymore) leading to a nice amount of 'snap oversteer' ..... see you in the ditch

Also if the car goes into full rebound (now greater than standard) the spring could potentially fall out of it's seating on the body or axle. (again worst case)

By getting the shorter dampers the mid point of 'bump' and 'rebound' travel is reset to the mid point of the damper, thus giving you back the OE damper travels!

Hope that helped.

318i e46, 323ti e36
Yeah I have got them on the rears but basically what your saying is the front shocks will improve the ride because the bump and rebound distances are corrected by the shortened shock? obviously ill be getting shortened for the rears eventually I was just wondering whether it's urgent that I get them. Bearing in mind I've been lowered on oe shocks for a good year now and got used to the ride and slight unpredictability of the suspension at times

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
If the dampers are bottoming out then YES, correcting the bump rebound distances will affect the ride quality
If the dampers aren't bottoming out then NO, correcting the bump rebound distances won't affect the ride quality
It doesn't really matter where the piston is inside the damper tube, it will still work as designed.

Correcting the shock length and travels in this case is more for safety reasons, hence your comment "the unpredictability of the suspension"
You don't want the damper running out of travel under any conditions.... Or like I said, see you in the ditch lol. :grimacing:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
There is no relevance on 'bolt spacings' on clio rear dampers, so I don't know why they have written that!.. If they are for Clio Mk2 rear axle and shortened then I'd say there fine and ignore that comment on the website.

as you say it would be more critical on the front as there are multiple spacings:
52mm: 1.2 8V
58mm: 1.2 16V - 1.4 8V - 1.4 16V

54mm: all 172 - 182 non cup
60mm: 182 cup