ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

got busy today

2002 172
Well today i set about putting a cold air feed in from the foglight...but looking at how much space i didnt have i decided to make my own intake system. here it is

how it started:

P9171054.jpg

halfway through:

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

and the finished article:

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

love it, happy with it, though i need a bigger filter as the one is a fiesta rs turbo one and is tiny but its all i could fit on it. guess ill have to get a mushroom filter when i get paid. the mod cost me nothing and i might aswell try bits out so i can make something from stainless to sell. cant wait to get it on throttle bodies :)

53 Clio's & counting
also that filter seems to sit right behind the radiator mate,so surely apart from sucking in the hot air in the engine bay its going to be having the hot air from the rad too?

2002 172
yes, the first is just for refernce as i always forget to taking starting pics. the tubing will not close under full throttle as it has strong plasticaround it to stop it closing.

2002 172
also that filter seems to sit right behind the radiator mate,so surely apart from sucking in the hot air in the engine bay its going to be having the hot air from the rad too?

probably will but find me a better place to put the filter?

phase 1 172
what material is that and where did you get it?

as for location it might be worth extending it behind the front light where the standard air feeds are, that way its away from the radiator and the coolant hose

2002 172
a friend gave me it a while ago to use as a cold air feed on my old ibiza turbo. i think it may be pond hosing? i would extend it but there will still be heat anywhere under the bonnet to be honest. the plan will be when i get time to relocate the filter in a box, somewhere away from everything.

53 Clio's & counting
i was gonna say matey for noise its great but if its power then prob the std filter would be better? under bonnet heat is such a killer :(

phase 1 172
if you`ve got enough go jap style and lower it further into the engine bay and creat a shield from road spray

2002 172
the plan was to either fit a slight shorter radiator as ill need this for my itb's anyway. or to put the filter behind the bumper shielded fr everything with one air feed going straight to its box, like a bmc. trying different things to develop something and market it.

BMW M5 & E36
Not been on that place in ages! Saw a silver 182 with black 172 at the top McD's a few nights back, was in a grey Elise. You?

2002 172
why spend £400? this cost me nothing, had 3 filters laying around in the garage doing nothing? 2 were too big. this one is probably too small but fits and is quite secure. the £400 a maxogen costs is £400 wasted towards my itb's. ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
why spend £400? this cost me nothing, had 3 filters laying around in the garage doing nothing? 2 were too big. this one is probably too small but fits and is quite secure. the £400 a maxogen costs is £400 wasted towards my itb's. ;)

Fair enough..

When are you getting your throttle bodies fitted?

2002 172

Fair enough..

When are you getting your throttle bodies fitted?

few months yet as the biggest cost is management and mapping.

ValverInBits
if you could sort it so the filter went between the battery and the back of the headlight that'd be better

2002 172
all in time, got too cold on my drive doing it today, hands were purple when i finished. though i will have all next weekend to fabricate something. then the next step will be to produce the same in polished metal, with mandrel bends. see what kind of a market there would be.