ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got Bored :P Look What i got!

Meg 300Cup
Given today's climate I don't believe insurance on a 182 for an 18 year old (regardless of postcode) can possibly be £2200!

Fronting by any chance?

Not Fronting, i live in a decent area, upto 8000 miles a year, 1years no claims, no mods, and dad on policy as we both drive to Manchester a few times a year
Everything on the policy is legit, if youre fronting you may as well not pay for the insurance anyway cos they wont pay out for s**t. All of my quotes have been through elephant and all of them fully comp, quoted 1100 for a C2 VTS, 1500 for a 106 GTi, 1700 for a Saxo VTS, so thought i may as well get the car i actually want.

Kinda surprised how many people are just trying to find something wrong with anything ive done, first its too much, now its too low for an 18 year old so cant really win tbh, i know this aint everyone, cost most of ya arent moaning at me lol

Last edited:
  Meg 300Cup
There is some right miserable c**ts on this forum lately, why cant you just be happy for the lad?

He's obviously over the moon he's managed to get himself a 182 at a young age, with a decent insurance quote and wants to share it with fellow clio enthusiasts.
Instead you get tw*ts like 80% of this thread contains, giving lectures about how they wouldnt pay that much, how he wont be able to handle the car or just assume because he's a relatively young driver he will fly around like a prick and hurt himself/someone else.

Do you go out and tell people with s**tty £500 1.0 corsa's that they're paying 500% of the value of their car for insurance? No I didnt think so

Just be thankful he's got insurance as there's plenty of scumbags out there that dont

Cheers man :cheers: pretty much sums it up

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The OP sounds a lot more intelegant than most 18 yr olds who like to buy 1.2's and put silly exausts on who are the ones who drive around like idiots.

Its not a surprise than any other forums i visit all slate clio sport, which is a shame because it could be a great forum and the admid/mods put a lot of hard work in. Its the users/member that spoil it.

good choice mate... dont listen 2 what any1 says about insurance its your hard earned cash at the end of the day so its up 2 u what you spend it on... Most ppl on here would have a heart attack if they knew what i paid for the remaining 5 months of my policy when i first bought my 172 cup.... For an 1 wanting to know i happily paid 369a month thats right 1845 for 5 months!!! my cash so i couldnt give a f**k as 2 what other people think as il spend it how and when i wish

good effort pal, if you're willing to pay for insurance etc then why not? insurance is bull but we pay anyway...my first was a mk3 fiesta worth £300 and i was paying £1400. work that out lol

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
good choice mate... dont listen 2 what any1 says about insurance its your hard earned cash at the end of the day so its up 2 u what you spend it on... Most ppl on here would have a heart attack if they knew what i paid for the remaining 5 months of my policy when i first bought my 172 cup.... For an 1 wanting to know i happily paid 369a month thats right 1845 for 5 months!!! my cash so i couldnt give a f**k as 2 what other people think as il spend it how and when i wish

How much was it on renewal?

Honda Civic EP2
f**king hell, if I could get a quote for a 182 at £2200 I'd snap it up straight away.

I'm paying £2200 for my 1.2 now!

The f**k did you get such a low quote?

Glacier White RS200
Fair play to you fella, sod what the haters say..half are probably jealous as they didny have the funding at 18, enjoy it matey :)
. Just go steady as its a BIG change in power.

172 Cup
Fair play, I'm 18 and im paying £2200 for my 172 cup and the car only cost £2500 it's the best thing I could have done at my age, if you save up why not :)

rcz 200gt
By eck all these youngens with your high power automibiles whats wrong with taking the tram to work when i wo a youngster we dint have bycycle cos we couldnt afford a puncture repair outfit we had to walk everywhere but not to far so as we didnt wear out our shoe leather no trips to cobbler for us all that speed you will be knockin down lampost and uprootin trees all over to much much money if you ask me. Lol if you can afford it mate enjoy it you aint lived till you been through a hedge backwards

I paid £1500 to insure a Ph1 172 when I was 19 - why? Because I bloody could lol!

And thank goodness I didn't listen to idiots on the internet telling me it was a waste of money! Was my first proper performance car and I enjoyed every mile of driving it :)

Edit:

Wtf do you do to have two lol?

This cracked me up, I'm tired so this took me a while to read this in my head lol

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Congratualtions, enjoy the car responsibly and your insurance premiums will fall over time.
BTW, the price of the car is only a small part of the overall pricing process. The underwriters will look at the type of car, profile of driver and, to put it bluntly, how likely they think it is that the driver will mow down a bus queue, kill a passenger, go through someone's front garden/wall/fence, how expensive the vehicle is to repair etc. etc.
The insurer has to pay for all that.

It's perfectly possible to have an insurance premium several times the price of the car.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at people saying £2200 insurance is acceptable on a £4000 car.

So going out and buying an £8000 car and spending £4400 on insurance would be ok??

Over 50% of the cars value on insurance is just insanity.

I know what you're saying mate, I really do and personally I despise paying for insurance - one of my pet hates.

However his 1.2 was around the £1000 on insurance...surely that would be 50% of the cars worth too no?

If the guy's happier spending his money driving a car that he wants, rather than pissing it up the wall in the fasion of other 18 year olds who are we to say different?

You only live once and all that.

Nice car mate - enjoy it and go steady otherwise that insurance price will soon be even stupider!

pimp mobile Zafira
Cracking car and the best colour mate. Not that I'm biased;). I think I'd be crying into my pillow every night if i paid out that much on insurance but it's not my money. Enjoy it mate.

Clio 182 FF
As long as you don't give clio's the reputation of the Saxo's as its terrible. So many dick heads drove Saxos not as many anymore all moved onto VW transporters down here. I had a Saxo though and was an awesome little car but never really drove it like a t**t unless someone wants to be shown up :)

Same with Clio you drive like a dick the more attention you get. Wish I had that kind of money at your age. Just don't start modifying its completely pointless unless you have a turbo as standard!

mk 2 clio
Aged 18 I could only dream of an insurance premium of £2200 on a 182.

Nice car ;)

same, i got my 1.2 when i was 19, only 3 nd half months ago, and cheapest i could get fully comp was 3200 for the year. next year its drops to 2120. on a 1.2. so 2200 on that its pretty good

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Everyone moaning at him. Shocking. Be happy for him!

If you enjoy cars, why not pay for a nice one?

I bought my 172 at 18, and paid £3000 insurance! Was worth every penny IMO. It's what got me into cars more and more so, into the Renaultsport range. I'm now 21 with a 200 cup paying £700 fully comp.

Good for you mate, wish I could get one now!

Planning on a 182 when I turn 19 with 2years NCB, insurance is only £1100 :)

Roll on october.

f**k me some killjoys on here lately.

If he can afford it so what, he isn't harming anyone. Go out and enjoy it, live for today not 10years down the line.

RB 182 FF
It's very easy for people in their late 20's/30's/40's to comment on how ridiculous it is to pay these insurance premiums but what they forget is how you felt at 18 if cars is your interest that you eat, sleep and breathe!!!!!! I personally wouldn't fork out £2200 for insurance and the highest I've paid is £700 a year but that's because Im stubborn and tight! I think £2200 is very reasonable for an 18 yr old considering it's an incredibly high risk as the 182 is a super fast car that hit's a 100mph in no time......!!! I say fair play to OP for loving cars and choosing a Renaultsport Clio, it's a cracking little car, I have a 182 and it's the best car I've owned and I've had a few bigger engined more powerful cars that don't touch the 182 for thrills! :D

Nice buy.

I've always disagreed with the people who say spending a lot on insurance is mental, if you can afford it and it's what you love, go for it. You could drop dead tomorrow, can't take money with you so may as well enjoy it while you're here! The amount I've spent on cars since I started driving would make grown men cry, but I don't regret it one bit.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
If the OP was anything like most 18 year olds the money would be going down his neck or up his nose more than likely, fair play I say. Also having these kinds of cars at an early age can actually save you money as insurance companies look at the kind of cars you have had previously as well as no claims bonus in my experience. I was 20 when I got my 172 and it would have been 1500 to insure, upon telling my insurance about my previous car (a calibra turbo powered corsa gsi) it went down to 1100. In addition having always had performance cars saved me circa £400 when I came to insure an e46 m3 at 22.

Good on the lad he obviously loves his cars (same as most of us on here no?)

BG 182
im paying 1800 for my 1.2 atm and ive been quoted around that for a 182 (more for a 172 though!) and if i had the funds i would do it in a flash! enjoy it mate :)

Renault Clio R27
It's very easy for people in their late 20's/30's/40's to comment on how ridiculous it is to pay these insurance premiums but what they forget is how you felt at 18 if cars is your interest that you eat, sleep and breathe!!!!!! I personally wouldn't fork out £2200 for insurance and the highest I've paid is £700 a year but that's because Im stubborn and tight! I think £2200 is very reasonable for an 18 yr old considering it's an incredibly high risk as the 182 is a super fast car that hit's a 100mph in no time......!!! I say fair play to OP for loving cars and choosing a Renaultsport Clio, it's a cracking little car, I have a 182 and it's the best car I've owned and I've had a few bigger engined more powerful cars that don't touch the 182 for thrills! :D

I agree entirely, I am 19 and currently pay £1900 for my R27 Clio and I don't regret it one bit. It is such a fun car to own and drive and i have no other big expenditures so why not have a nice car to drive around in :D

Megane r26
Fairplay, insurance really isn't kind at 18 now days but atleast your lucky to have something you want an enjoy unlike alot of young kids. I paid 1900tpft at 18 on my old vtr. Now I moan if its over 600 quid haha. Enjoy it while you can.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Fair play mate it looks a good car! I was 19 when I got mine I just thought to my self iv got the money in the bank.... I want a RB 182..... I work 40hours a week, I wanted something to be proud of! I say spend the money on what you want y u can!! I bet u have hardly any outgoings! Its hard having a nice fun car and paying bills at the same time!! So do it why u can!!

Swift Sport
No its not.

It is if you want to drive a 2.0. But more fool them for doing it. I pay less than that to insure 6 people and £100k's worth of cars.

Buy a cheap to insure car. Why waste money on insuring a 2.0?? Its just mental.

I agree. I owned (and wrecked) numerous low powered cars during my younger years and still had loads of fun. People assume fun needs to come from Bhp's and it's just not true.

Fair play though dude, have fun! :)

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I agree. I owned (and wrecked) numerous low powered cars during my younger years and still had loads of fun. People assume fun needs to come from Bhp's and it's just not true.

Fair play though dude, have fun! :)
I also agree with this tho! I miss my old 1.2 Clio do much! Was my baby! I was gutted when some lorry smashed into it! Heartbroken is the right word!!!

Clio 182
Good looking car mate, and £2200 isn't bad at 18 at all I was £1500 at 18 on a 1.1 106 so yours is a much better deal :)

Focus
Good on you mate, did the same at you at 19, had a 08 225 by the time I was 21, wouldn't change it for the world! Having said that I didn't pay that much on insurance, would of though as I love cars! Could get hit by a bus tomorrow so enjoy every day like its your last IMO. :)