ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good wet track day tyre

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looking at getting another set of tyres for some wheels that are to get me to and from the track so road legal, but also used on track for wet track days as these are frequent at knockhill.

I use A048's for dry to damp days so these are just for the really wet ones.

Any recommendations? I use Toyo T1R's on my Impreza and find them ok but not sure how good they would be on track. They are a decent price too.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Here's my shortlist based on Camskill's prices for 195 50 R15 82V.

Yoko AD08 = £74.50
Michelin PE2 = £55
Conti Sport 2's = £48.80
Yoko Parada Spec 2's = £46.50
Hankook Evo V12's = £39.90
Uniroyal Rainsports = £37.40
Toyo T1R = £34.00

What's the feelings then on this lot?

Thinking about Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's myself......(these PE2 for short?) Are these the new version of the "Sport" tyre Michelin used to do.

Though as these are a road tyre and unless it's wet and raining, I guess on a damp - drying track they could be quite restrictive and hamper performance?

What about Toyo R1R's 70 each and seem to get good reviews in the wet?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I used R1-R tyres at Oulton park a couple of weeks ago in the wet and they were awesome. No loss of grip at all and the tyres still look like new. I've done two track days with them on and I'm well impressed. T1-R's are good but they wear quickly.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just checked the weather for oulton next Fri and it looks like a good chance of rain :(. 888's ftw? Or not?

Clio 172 Cup
My first lesson at knockhill was on a soaking wet day and i only had the T1R'S on and they seemed perfect, i'm talking rain stotting off the ground! And they still seemed good, i run them on the clio for going to and from places. Great value for money tyre.

172 cup, Impreza P1
My first lesson at knockhill was on a soaking wet day and i only had the T1R'S on and they seemed perfect, i'm talking rain stotting off the ground! And they still seemed good, i run them on the clio for going to and from places. Great value for money tyre.

I'm thinking it's hard to see past the T1R's at £34 a corner as 9 times out of 10 I'll be using my other wheels with the A048's.

Thanks for all the input guys!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to give them ago even just to see what my Orange wheels look like. My hankook v12's have life left in them so i can allways resort back to them.

220 Trophy
888’s are fantastic in the wet, I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t tried them - Last two times at Brands it was biblically raining and I kept the 888’s on and they were brilliant, I has so much confidence with them on and was lapping an R8. I wouldn’t want to use them hard on the road in the wet but on track they were great.

220 Trophy
Logically your brain would say they should be rubbish in the wet as they’re almost a semi-slick but like I say surprisingly they’re actually great, you can still feel when they’re up to temperature – and when they’re too hot!! and the braking is still great. This might sound like an exaggeration but I drive with them on in the wet (on track) say 90% as hard as in the dry. Because of this I ended up selling my 2nd set of wheels with ‘rain’ tyres on and just keep the 888’s on all the time now.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Michelin PE2 = £55
Conti Sport 2's = £48.80
Pretty respectable in the wet, good all round tyres

Yoko Parada Spec 2's = £46.50
horrible in the wet, would be one of the last tyres I would want to put on for wet weather use TBH, Ive tried them on wet trackdays and its just horrid, I use them as road tyres sometimes though as they have a reasonable compromise between wear and grip.

Uniroyal Rainsports = £37.40
Excellent wet weather tyres, this is what I use, they wear out very quick if you leave them on when things dry out though.

Toyo T1R = £34.00
If you look at the tread pattern its basically very similar to the rainsport, but to allow them to wear better the shoulders have narrower exit points to each tread groove, this does achieve the longer wear but its at the expense of performance when its very wet. I view them as a reasonable all round budget tyre, but the rainsport is a much better option if its only for wet use.

Lotus Elise
Uniroyals Rainsport 2s, awesomesauce in the wet like the name suggests, did the ring in torrential rain with these on my lexus. It was a huge amount of fun and they gave plenty of feedback, all you need really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The rainsports are what will be going on mine next time.

You'll be well happy with them on wet trackdays.

Still a MILE away from proper wets though, so if you are allowed to run them with whatever events you do its well worth having a set. They get destroyed in a few laps if it dries out though, last time I was out on proper wets at combe it dried out loads while I was in the queue as there was a big delay and I ended up having to swerve all over the track hunting puddles to try and keep the tyres working, lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lol. One of the guys i was with at oulton last time had them on and was very impressed with them. Ive only heard good reports tbf