ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

good start for a neewbie??

soon to be 182 ;)
what ive bought is in green and what i intend to buy is in red

2 buckets (B&Q cheap ones)
meguires gold class shampoo
meguires scratch x 2.0 (headlight correction)
microfibre cloths and wash mitt
meguires quick clay detailing system
menzerna power finish 203S
meguires endurance tyre gel
ag srp
ag fast glass
demon shine
3m blue tape

i need some advice on a wax/ sealant

and any advice on the products i am going to get?

also need some application pads and polishing block or whatever theyre called

think i have listed everything

(also another thing i was looking at was dodo juice born slippy is this just a clay lube or a detailer as well or can be used for anything else?)

SRP is good to have for wheels etc, but not necessary in the above list.

You don't need Demon Shine.

Sealent for you, get Chemical Guys Blitz Spray sealent. Will last ages and looks good. Applicators, get some foam applicators in your order from I4Detailing. Polishing pad, the Orange Lake County Hand polishing pad.

DJ BS is a clay lube. This will be included in the Megs kit, so you don't need it.

soon to be 182 ;)
ive just had a look on i4d and cant find the sealent you said, and the lake country i cant find the hand ones,

what makes the lambswool mitt better than mf?

Bumder With A Buffer
Yep I got it (took ages as it was forever out of stock on Clean Your Car and whenever I wanted to buy it I couldn't warrant the £5 postage just for one item. So bought it in the classfieds section over on detailing world..Brand new for £11 posted. Bargain.

Not the best picture but it was used here..

a9a68407.jpg

ead3f41a.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
Id say so yes..For a spray sealent its pretty durable..Im pretty sure it would outlast the dodo waxes (which again I have). It still sheets after 2 months or so but doesnt bead very well..normal waxes (like dodo) bead well but dont sheet after about 2 weeks.

I suppose thats down to the properties of a spray sealent though. For the price and looks Blitz is awesome.

Yes.

Lambswool over MF (Richy will argue here) because it traps the dirt better and holds it off the surface, whereas an MF mitt holds it on the surface of the glove, thereby washing around your bodywork.

Bumder With A Buffer
I wont argue...Its just preference :) I have both

Oh BTW the car is relatively swirl free after 4 months of washing with a MF...Il be polishing and redoing with a lambswool once the weather sorts its arse out!

soon to be 182 ;)
i think ive changed my mind again jd, think im gonna buy a das-6 as id4 got some good deals, i cba atm its too cold tho

DCi 100
Surprised no one has said another bucket tbh!

First lot of stuff I bought;
3x buckets. The B&Q orange ones do fine but I got another black one so I could track of what's what.
Quik detailer megs stuff iirc.
Gold class shampoo
Wash mitt
towel
wheel brush
tire gel (used an old sponge to apply)

What does better mean?

3.02 is a stronger, more cutting polish. The 85 is then a refining polish.

The 203s is better suited to VAG/BMW paint which are hard.

DCi 100
Aye! Depends what you concider newbie though. Right from the start or new to polishing etc. :)

But with everything, the basics are the foundation!

soon to be 182 ;)
What does better mean?

3.02 is a stronger, more cutting polish. The 85 is then a refining polish.

The 203s is better suited to VAG/BMW paint which are hard.

so the one with 2 bottles of polish would be better for a clio?

soon to be 182 ;)
Aye! Depends what you concider newbie though. Right from the start or new to polishing etc. :)

But with everything, the basics are the foundation!

right from the start really, only ever used a bucket and sponge to wash my car or a pressure washer at the garage, so wanna get rid of swils etc

so the one with 2 bottles of polish would be better for a clio?

Yes I would suggest so.

The idea of removing swirls, Todd, is to do it with the least amount of paint removal possible... So detailers always start with the least aggressive polish they can. However, with a DA you will not be removing anything like enough paint for this to worry you.

The 3.02 should suit you fine, with the 85 to refine afterwards.

soon to be 182 ;)
Yes I would suggest so.

The idea of removing swirls, Todd, is to do it with the least amount of paint removal possible... So detailers always start with the least aggressive polish they can. However, with a DA you will not be removing anything like enough paint for this to worry you.

The 3.02 should suit you fine, with the 85 to refine afterwards.

ok cheers jd, one thing i noticed on detailers world was that they said about spreading the polish about at a low rpm then at a higher rpm to break it down, the das-6 is single speed isnt it?

soon to be 182 ;)
Nope, variable.

ok cheers that has just made my mind up, is how i said the way to do it? go over it slowly to spread the polish about, then go over faster moving slowly to polish, until the polish goes clear ??

Bumder With A Buffer
Thats what I have..and no it doesn't necessarily go clear..one of them (cant remember which!) is a grey colour. Its impossible for that to go clear!

soon to be 182 ;)
Thats what I have..and no it doesn't necessarily go clear..one of them (cant remember which!) is a grey colour. Its impossible for that to go clear!

ok cheers, do they give you good results then? my car is red btw so should bring it up well

Bumder With A Buffer
Its all relative to how you use the DA/how long you work the polishes in for. (plus your choice of pads). I have the menz kit one (actually the same one) and its fine. Although the menz pads are s**t and dont last. Il be updrading mine in the new year.

In "theory" the longer your work time with polishes the better. Dont be surprised if the first time you use it there doesn't look like much improvement..that will come with practice. First time I used mine I was rushing and to be honest my results weren't good. However second/3rd time around I got used to how to hold it etc and results were better.

soon to be 182 ;)
Its all relative to how you use the DA/how long you work the polishes in for. (plus your choice of pads). I have the menz kit one (actually the same one) and its fine. Although the menz pads are s**t and dont last. Il be updrading mine in the new year.

In "theory" the longer your work time with polishes the better. Dont be surprised if the first time you use it there doesn't look like much improvement..that will come with practice. First time I used mine I was rushing and to be honest my results weren't good. However second/3rd time around I got used to how to hold it etc and results were better.

OK so i should just take my time and make sure i work in the polish enough, will outside temperature make a difference?

Todd, search for Polished Bliss. Then read ALL of their guides.

There will be a test tomorrow morning and you are not allowed to post another single thread until you've read them.

soon to be 182 ;)

There will be a test tomorrow morning and you are not allowed to post another single thread until you've read them.

ive read some of the polished bliss, will wait till after crimbo now as off work as of today and cba spending time doing it

soon to be 182 ;)

read them jd, some good info on there.

have also got an update to my list of stuff ive got :)

what ive bought is in green and what i intend to buy is in red

2 buckets (B&Q cheap ones)
meguires gold class shampoo
meguires scratch x 2.0 (headlight correction)
microfibre cloths and wash mitt
160g clay bar
meguires next generation detailer (to use as detailer and lube)
ag wheel dressing
demon shine (i know it was not needed but was on offer in asda 2 bottles for a fiver so thought i would try it)
ag srp
ag fast glass
3m blue tape
kestrel das-6 kit

need opinions on:

a back to black product
sealent

Laguna Estate
I use Autosmart Trim Ultra as a back to black product. You only use a tiny amount and it's less than a tenner for 500ml on fleabay

The Autosmart stuff is quite good. My lean to product was either very small amounts of AG Bumper Care, or Chem Guys New Look Trim Gel. However, my plastics are now sorted for 18months (ish) with GTechniq C4. But I wouldn't advise a n00b using this product, no offense :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Bloody hell Todd, by the time you actually get all your bits and get round to Washing, Polishing and generally detailing your car, it will have been recycled and converted into one of these -

coke_can.gif

Bumder With A Buffer
The Autosmart stuff is quite good. My lean to product was either very small amounts of AG Bumper Care, or Chem Guys New Look Trim Gel. However, my plastics are now sorted for 18months (ish) with GTechniq C4. But I wouldn't advise a n00b using this product, no offense :)

^^^ Id like to think that the reasons behind that are not down to the fact that a noob wont know what they are doing. The fact that it lasts for so long means it would be a waste of money.

Last edited: