ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to the ring so bought a 172!

Clio 172
Full refurb, shot blast and powder coat £20 per rim @citypowdercoaters. Many colours and effects available!

ED341DFA-D2BD-484E-94CB-8E5015CB196C_zpscmnra6fy.jpg

4B3678AB-122E-40A3-B7EF-852273B50EA0_zps1d4yyr3v.gif

Clio RSI
I have just bought these alloys for my clio and debating on colour, they look amazing cant wait to see them on the car. What colour is that btw ?

Clio 172
meanwhile.... more goodies have arrived!!!

2A3D9CF2-6153-4410-8134-F5A4F20C635E_zpsngowcbyn.gif

so here we have my cup shocks, cup wishbones, new droplinks and some eibach sportlines all ready for funtimes on Thursday

Clio 172
So after a Long day with a few minor issues she's all done! All the suspension is fitted along with the cup lower arms and my shiny wheels are on too.

0225D151-6D3E-468A-8954-2B1F96979002_zpsih4lvuwo.gif

Sadly no in progress pictures (due to grease). I'm painting my callipers next week so will get some pic's of the setup then.

Clio RSI
Them wheels are looking amazing, think you have made my mind up on colour choice. What drop are the springs mate 40mm ?

Clio 172
What a shed! Have you fixed it yet? ;)

Nope! and now more issues (all minor), since cadwell I've got a broken gearbox mount, exhaust rubber and bracket on the back box.

just bought a new bracket + rubber today but not sure weather to go with oe or a better gearbox mount ... They all seem quite expensive from what I've found.

Clio 172
Heres a link to my housemates Porsche 911 hot lap.

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=cz1T418Ps2Q&persist_app=1&app=m[/video]

Last edited:
  Clio 172
cleaning the throttle body out with penetrating oil and a toothbrush. There was a lot of cr@p in mine and that seemed to resolve it, well it's not been back since.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
that's doing an awful lot of leaning during cornering! is the bump stops/dust covers fitted?

cars looking good, did you go for 172 cup dampers or just normal 172 ones?

Clio 172
Went with the cup setup mate. I've got the cup wishbones aswell for the extra degree and ahalf of castor, it really helps on the exit of the corners.

And I assume you were referring to the Porsche lol, he had a few really good smooth laps by the end of the day. Still not as quick as his type-r tho

Clio 172
so I've not been posting much recently so thought id give a bit of a update,

at the end of july a random bolt had sheered and fell into my cambelt and managed to cause it to fail fortunately without taking out anything else.

thanks to mick @ diamond motors thats all been sorted along with water pump and de-phaser, whilst fitting he found that the inlet cam was retarded and the exhaust cam was advanced which was probably the cause for my low bhp on the rollers. he also advised that the front lambda sensor wasn't accurate so I bought and fitted that myself.

now I need to get it back on the rollers to confirm bhp

Clio 172
I've also acquired a Magnex cat back exhaust with twin tail pipe, so my house-mate made me pull my finger out and we got that fitted just now,

standard removed
SAM_0396_zps347f9284.jpg

old vs new
SAM_0387_zps8353337f.jpg

SAM_0386_zps9c1456a2.jpg

new fitted
SAM_0392_zpsda0a41e0.jpg

and back on the deck
SAM_0394_zps0911ccd7.jpg

Clio 172
Before fitting I had to have it welded on the flange that goes to the cat (I assume this was done when it was hammered off the car it came from) and you can now feel a little bit of air coming through so I'll need to get that looked at but otherwise its all good.

I'm just waiting for traffic to die down and go for a proper test drive and see how she sounds...:p

Clio 172
So after a quick baz I'm quite impressed, not to loud whilst cruising and a bit deeper when you've got your foot down. There seems to be a noticeable difference in power but obviously it could just be the placebo effect from the noise. I'm going to get booked in at dyno-tech and fingers crossed she will be running around 172 bhp ish. (Last time she ran a 158bhp but with a lambda issue and incorrect timing)

Nissan 350z
Glad to see you got things sorted, bet you're happy that it was indeed the timing being out that was causing the power loss and nothing else more severe! Would have been gutting to re-dyno and get another low result. Whats next then, induction?

Clio 172
Glad to see you got things sorted, bet you're happy that it was indeed the timing being out that was causing the power loss and nothing else more severe! Would have been gutting to re-dyno and get another low result. Whats next then, induction?

Yes mate, I just can't decide to go standard box or attempt to make something with a shield/box + direct feed..

Nissan 350z
I've thought about doing that too even though mine works, just as a precaution more than anything. How much of a pain in the arse was it removing and refitting the panel with the motors on?

Clio 172
I've thought about doing that too even though mine works, just as a precaution more than anything. How much of a pain in the arse was it removing and refitting the panel with the motors on?

Its not that bad but you end up kinda sat on the floor leaning over the sill (which digs into your ribs) as you wiggle around under the peddles. Fortunately I have a bendy 6mm socket so wasn't to bad for access other than the highest bolt.