ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to replace driveshaft, a couple of questions

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
I'm getting some serious knocking when on full lock turning right. From my understanding this is likely to be the outer CV joint.

After doing some reading on here, I'm led to believe it's cheaper/easier to change the whole driveshaft. At a glance, this would cost £60 from someone like Euro CarParts or similar.
I have the day off tomorrow to fit a new one so I want to be prepared before attacking it.

Am I right in saying you don't need to split the ball joint, but rather detach it from the wishbone instead?
How difficult is the driveshaft nut to remove usually? I've read 250nm but I'm not sure if my manpower and 16" breaker bar can reach that kind of torque or not....

What gearbox oil is best suited for a 1.6 mk2 ph2? And how much will I need?

Any advice is really helpful. Cheers.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Well mine fell out by accident so you shouldn't have any problems with getting it out.

You will want 75w80 gear oil.

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
WAY easier to replace the whole shaft.

Important to use a torque wrench on the hub nut, the wheelbearing wont last ling if under or over tightened.

330i. E30 Touring.
As Danny said- i'd much rather replace the shaft.

You should be able to loosen the hubnut off with a breaker bar if you're not a big girl. If poss, do it while the car's still on the ground otherwise it needs to be properly steady up on stands for that kind of pressure.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
As Danny said- i'd much rather replace the shaft.

You should be able to loosen the hubnut off with a breaker bar if you're not a big girl. If poss, do it while the car's still on the ground otherwise it needs to be properly steady up on stands for that kind of pressure.

This. That's how my jack ended up snapping. Also, use a good jack and axle stands.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Thanks for the advice chaps. I also understand I'll need an 8mm square socket and a copper washer? Or could I get away using a 3/8" drive or something similar?

330i. E30 Touring.
3/8 is a touch too big from memory. I broke my 8mm and couldn't be bothered to go to Halfords, touched the 3/8 extension a touch on all sides with the grinder and it worked fine.

While you're at ECP, pick up an 8mm sq though. Won't be much more than a few £.