ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting angry!!!

immaculate clio 172
So yesterday I replaced inner tie rods, outer track rod ends and both lower ball joints on my 2005 full fat 182
Today took it to local tyre place as they one of few open on Sunday and they must have set the tracking about 6 times and still the steering wheel isn't sitting straight, the equipment they used looked ancient with red beam shining on a plate on rear wheel etc
Blaming it on play somewhere even though it drives totally fine just can't seem to get wheel straight!
Taking it to decent place with hunter hawk eye system for 2nd oppinion tomorrow

Any advice?
Thanks

Megane 225 f1
Somewhere who knows what they are doing will be able to sort it. Its just a case of adjusting the track rods to center the steering wheel.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unbolt the steering wheel, put it central, bolt back on.

Done.

immaculate clio 172
It was always central before the work was done so surely no reason why it can't be centralised now surely!

Definitely feels so much tighter to drive now with those parts renewed :cool:

Im fairly sure one of my front shocks is leaking slightly so thats a jo for near future but surely wouldn't effect setting up the alignment!

Rear shocks are almost new genuine renault cup items

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Changing the tracking and not centralizing the wheel will give you this issue. They need to do both, not just the tracking, however you need to state this as they will just do the tracking only.

172 Turbo
What they've done is aligned the car in the lazy way by adjusting one track rod end, you need to go somewhere who doesn't do this on the cheap and who will adjust both.

immaculate clio 172
Thanks for replies chaps
They definitely adjusted both track rods as i stood watching him do it

They also clamped the wheel central inside the car
Spent half the afternoon down there and steering wheel still sitting slightly off central so not sure whats going on!

Seems to drive straight and smooth

immaculate clio 172
Tracking again after changing shock!
Might aswell do both and both top mounts then in that case as not going through this hassle again if the other fails!

My only worry now is could the rack itself be knackered!

Love the little 182 but hating it at same time just now

Tempted to just replace all running gear and every bush on the whole car now 😂

immaculate clio 172
Well I've just got back from having the car aligned on the hunter ststem which took 10 minutes and can happily say its now driving arrow straight
Chap said it was still well out from the other place that attempted it
Also confirmed slight leak on front shocker but doesn't require urgent attention :smile:

Like a new car to drive now with new bits fitted, feels so much more direct on the road!

Going to order a pair of cup shocks from Renault as only £35 each, is it worthwhile me also getting new top mount kits too?