ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting a company car, can I really justify keeping the Clio?

172cup.Mr2TurboStiV5
So I'm getting a company car & diesel card soon so getting too and from work will be free!. I currently have the Monaco as the work horse & an mr2 turbo as the weekend toy!

i also have a 100% track car that I share with one of my best mates!

Can I really justify keeping the Monaco as well? I've just had the cambelt, water pump etc done, the bobywork is mint & I've got it set up really well suspension wise the car literally wants for nothing and drivers perfectly! This is why I want to keep it!

But for the little use it will get am I just being silly wanting to keep her!!

People's thoughts on this please as I really cannot decide what to do!

Do you want to keep it? Can you afford to keep it?

If you answered yes to at least one of the above, keep it.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
You shouldn't have to justify it.. if you want to keep it then keep it. No doubt a lot of time and effort has gone into getting it the way you want it.

Corsa Van. Meh.
I was once in the same position as you (about 8years ago mind). Got a company car with fuel card and had a 172 cup.

My intention was to keep the cup to use it on weekends. In reality I never used it as it was just easier to jump in the company car with free fuel.

Sold it in the end as I never drove it.

Only you can answer whether you should keep it or not. For what it's probably worth it would seem silly to get rid.

172cup.Mr2TurboStiV5
Well the Monaco is all paid for so it's only going to cost mot, tax & insurance to keep it on the road.

So I'm leaning towards keeping it now I guess if it never gets driven I'll just sell it then.

re the mr2 turbo there is no way that's ever getting sold!! 320bhp mid engined rear wheel drive = ALL THE FUN!!!! & it's insanely reliable & it's insured as a classic so it's so cheap to keep on the road but also kills so many cars as the grip is insane!!!

I'd keep it......I have a Megane dCi (not a company car right enough) but its used mainly for work and I still run my 172.
You, like me, probably don't need 2 cars but if you want 2 and can afford it, why not :)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I would keep it if you can afford it you never know what could happen in the future.

id keep it to one side , its all good while you have the company car but ive seen loads of people do this sell there pride and joy work horse, blow the money and then they loose the company car/job etc , and then be buggered lol

if you can afford to run it every now and then i would, or at least try and keep at first !

172cup.Mr2TurboStiV5
id keep it to one side , its all good while you have the company car but ive seen loads of people do this sell there pride and joy work horse, blow the money and then they loose the company car/job etc , and then be buggered lol

if you can afford to run it every now and then i would, or at least try and keep at first !

good advice!! I'm going to keep it for now that's for sure. & I would 100% blow the money I'd get from it straight away!!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'd throw it quicker than a bag of chips I'd found a spider in.

You've already got an MR2 and a track car, wtf are you going to do with a 10 year old Clio when the company car arrives? Very large paper weight?

It's only a car, there's about a million of them on the market at the moment, so if you ever got a hankering for it, it's not like you'd struggle to get another.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I kept my Focus when I got my CC. I've had it for years, know the car, have done 80K miles in it, it's been serviced every 10K miles, and is generally a good runner.

However, it's worth the sun total of f**k all financially, and is certainly worth a lot more to me than its monetary value, so just didn't see the point in selling it. It'll cost me about £500 a year to keep it for insurance, tax, service and MOT. For the sake of £42 a month (I actually budget £50, so £600 a year), I CBA to try and find another car should I change job. If I get a job closer to home, I wouldn't bother with a CC, so just continue to run the Focus again.

That said, if it were worth more, I'd have got rid. No point sitting with thousands tied up on the drive, in as Rob says, a very expensive paper weight.

172cup.Mr2TurboStiV5
I'd throw it quicker than a bag of chips I'd found a spider in.

You've already got an MR2 and a track car, wtf are you going to do with a 10 year old Clio when the company car arrives? Very large paper weight?

It's only a car, there's about a million of them on the market at the moment, so if you ever got a hankering for it, it's not like you'd struggle to get another.

Haha I know exactly what you are saying mate. The mr2 I sorn from December - April time ish most years anyway so I'd have the Clio for weekends etc. Think I'll reassess early next year and see how it's looking.

I also live in a flat with a million parking spaces so keeping it off the road isn't a problem.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
re the mr2 turbo there is no way that's ever getting sold!! 320bhp mid engined rear wheel drive = ALL THE FUN!!!! & it's insanely reliable & it's insured as a classic so it's so cheap to keep on the road but also kills so many cars as the grip is insane!!!

Answered your own question tbh