ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gears not changing smoothly from cold

Liquid Yellow R27
When driving my 1.4 Clio Dynamique from cold the gears seem to not be very smooth when changing. When putting the clutch in / out it seems to be a bit jerky. Once the engine has warmed up this stops and changing gear becomes quite smooth.

I've not had the car very long (brought it second hand, it's an 05 plate). I've recently had a new gear mount fitted as the garage told me this should sort it out and that the old gear mount was pretty ruined anyway. I thought this would fix it, but it's still happening.

Also, as soon as I start driving the car from cold it seems to hold back on power a bit and drop power slightly for like a second or two. It doesn't do this again after. Not sure if this is related either, but the other night the car went into limp mode twice. Since then I've sprayed some WD40 into the electric block above the accelerator and it hasn't gone back into limp mode since.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before or knows what the fix(es) could be. Thanks for the help in advance. :)

Last edited:
  Liquid Yellow R27
Do you mean when you release the clutch after changing gear up it's jerky ?

Yeah mate, that's the one. It's jerking after changing gear, but only when the engine is cold. After driving for a while it's fine and they change smoothly.

Liquid Yellow R27
Mine does this occasionally, i just put it down to it being moody when cold. Cars can be like that.

Ah, as long as it's not something that's going to end up getting worse or turning into a bigger problem in the future. Still curious as to why it's doing it mind. Also curious as to why it went into limp mode twice in the one night. Hasn't done it since though.

Ph1 172
tbh as long as rod doesnt fly through the block then i just put it down to 'being french' lol

As long as its fine when its warm then dont worry about it. IMO anyway.

But dont listen to me i guess, im not all that technically minded lol

Liquid Yellow R27
tbh as long as rod doesnt fly through the block then i just put it down to 'being french' lol

As long as its fine when its warm then dont worry about it. IMO anyway.

But dont listen to me i guess, im not all that technically minded lol

Haha, well thanks for the advice dude. It's not really a huge problem to be honest, like I say, just worried it may turn into a bigger problem over time. I'm not very technically minded when it comes to cars either, so I have no idea if this would be the case or not lol.

Liquid Yellow R27
Anyone a bit more technical have any idea what would be causing this or how it would be fixed?

BG 182
I've got the same thing i think, read a few things suggesting it may be the pre-cat lambda on its way out.

Liquid Yellow R27
I've got the same thing i think, read a few things suggesting it may be the pre-cat lambda on its way out.

Yeah I've heard that. I don't know what to try. It's quite jerky when changing for 2nd gear to 3rd gear and 3rd to 4th gear. Only when it's running cold though.

Clio 182
I'm fairly sure it's just that the fluids are cold.

My 182 drops revs much faster when I dip the clutch when it's cold, coupled with a slightly notchy gearbox when things aren't properly warmed-through makes smooth driving for the first few minutes in the morning a bit of a challenge!

You just have to treat the gearbox like the engine when it's cold... gently, gently.

Liquid Yellow R27
I'm fairly sure it's just that the fluids are cold.

My 182 drops revs much faster when I dip the clutch when it's cold, coupled with a slightly notchy gearbox when things aren't properly warmed-through makes smooth driving for the first few minutes in the morning a bit of a challenge!

You just have to treat the gearbox like the engine when it's cold... gently, gently.

Ah nice to know it's not just me then. You're probably right dude. Just be gentle with it from cold I suppose. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :)