ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Removal/Driveshaft Problem

Halfway through changing my gearbox. But come across a problem.... Have dropped to subframe on the passenger side etc etc. The gear box is away from the block.

But wont come right off because the drives side shaft is still in the box... Have undone the bracket that holds it to the block and have taken out the ball joint on the drivers side as well. But the shaft wont come out of the gearbox. Any tips on getting it out? Because just now the gearbox is just flapping about in the engine bay :eek:

Cheers

172 cup, Impreza P1
You need to remove the shaft from the hub completely then it should just pull out from the box with a bit of maneuvering.

Make sure you drain the gearbox oil from the passenger side before removing it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just make sure its dead straight and give it a bit of a wiggle and a tap, they are fairly firmly located.

Cheers guys finally got it out!

Do you think either of these relsese bearing are good enough to put back on the car?

IMG_20130212_140258_zps544a5221.jpg

IMG_20130212_140327_zps2bc2a6aa.jpg

IMG_20130212_140347_zpse21670ac.jpg

IMG_20130212_140411_zps94879f93.jpg

IMG_20130212_140445_zps00ff86d1.jpg

IMG_20130212_140451_zps8d7b5974.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
If you have gone to all that trouble to get the box out, change the clutch as well, it will come with a new bearing.

Can only by tell by feel really.

What should it feel like? First time doing a clutch/release bearing.

Was going to do the clutch but not really bothered about taking the box back out the car, so just going to leave it. And it was apparently done by the last owner.

Cheers guys. I know but either way am not bothered taking the box back out the car and might be getting traded in for a van soon.... And will need to order a new drive shaft as well, inner cv boot has came off on the drivers side, and it doesn't look like its possible to replace the boot easily :dapprove:

Well been putting the car back together was going well till I got to the starter motor :banghead:

Here my problem :

IMG_20130215_124305_zps840479fe.jpg

Looks like the to inserts are the same size, and when trying to bolt it up the starter is not going flush with the gearbox because of it. And just had a quick look at the old gearbox and it doesn't have the same insert sticking out, my own fault for rushing I suppose :dapprove:

Anyway to fix it apart from taking the gearbox or stater motor back off?

330i. E30 Touring.
Fiddly but think it does come out without the manifold having to be taken off. Basically impossible to get the heatshield on afterwards though

Cheers will have a go tomorrow if the weather is ok!

Will see what I van do about the heat shield though, don't fancy leaving it off with the starter being that close to the manifold :rasp:

clio sport ph 1
This how I placed a jb1 gearbox on my clio sport;) . Just pull out the inserts there are multiple holes for it!! Housing for gearbox is the same .
Starter has also multiple holes I thought not sure

Finally changed my gearbox. The car is all back together and the last thing I need to do is put the pinch bolt for the steering rack to column back in. But can't find the hole that is meant to go through :eek: And done it blind when I took it out so didn't see where the bolt come out of, which isn't helping.

This is the bolt I mean:

IMG_20130220_115244_zpsceb70082.jpg

This photo is taken from under the car, looking up at the column.

d0015dcd-1de6-4dcd-b347-14fca6a55baa_zps3908ad7d.jpg

Where should the hole be?

Cheers

There is no hole on the rack, the column connection passes over it and then the bolt goes through the connection and the flat part of the bolt you have pictured holds it :) If you cant get the bolt through the connection then you have got the connection 180 degree's out so spin it round and then it will be fine

Cheers guys.

So is it the wee black tab you can see on the top right of the column I need?

I also didn't drop the sub frame right down, only dropped the passengers side and had a few threads on the drives side if that makes any difference?

Last edited:
Right just gave it a go just now. Dropped the frame down again and got the rack and column lined up again.

But now the clamp bit won't go right over the rack. Its over it but won't go far enough over to get the bolt through it if that makes sense? And trying not to mess about with it to much or am going to have problems with the steering alignment?

Should it just slide over or does in need a bit of force to get it on?

You should be able to push it with your fingers into line. Of do you mean it's not coming down far enough onto the rack? If its the latter it's time for a new column as you've started to collapse it.

Well the column is over the rack just now. I just can't get the bolt through the hole as the rack isn't right in the column. And doesn't feel like it want's to.without forcing it on... And don't want to move stuff about to much so it doesn't mess with the steering alignment.

You won't mess with the steering alignment, not on there anyway. Has it slid all the way down? You have to manipulate the UJ To get it to the right angle. Or, you have put it on 180* out.

I meant in the way that when done the wheels might be pointing straight and the steering wheel might be upside down or something lol.

Well looks all the way down to me.... But haven't bolted the sub frame right back up either thinking about it, so that might have something to do with it as well.

Right done everything and it's still not lining up :mad:

Here is a photo from underneath:

13d869b3-1086-4512-b1ae-ab7d4c16d458_zpsa54b8c26.jpg

Everything is lining up, as in the 'nick' you can see on the rack lines up with the middle of the holes in column. But it still wont go far enough in to get the bolt through though :S

The sub frame is bolted up properly now as well.

330i. E30 Touring.
Can't you now turn the wheel to show you the bolt hole and why it won't line up?

Out the top FTW. (;

Was hard to get a photo of it. But it does look and feel like its lined up tbh and the nick lines up with the holes so surly it should fit together? :S

Last part of the job as well which is a bit annoying....

If the column is bent, is that easy or hard is it to to change?

330i. E30 Touring.
Can you not try and put a smaller punch/screwdriver through the hole first to see if that centralises it?

Could be slightly out, and that would be enough to stop a threaded bolt going through...

Wanted to take it out the top but everyone said its easier out the bottom for a first timer. So took it out the bottom and had nothing but problems, basically everything thats went wrong has!!!

Here's a photo of the side of them:

f5599b12-3e95-487f-b73e-f6bde0b54e19_zps80a9aebe.jpg

Can't really see it from the angle but there is a hole, gets bigger if you wiggle the column about as well, so will try and find something to stick through it, to try and centre it....