ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox refurb options

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I currently have 2 ph1 gearboxes (one in the car, one lying spare) and I'm after some advice as to what one is best to get refurbed.

I originally planned to refurb the spare I have lying, but it has a fucked diff cup bit that the N/S driveshaft slots into, and also definitely has had loads of needle bearings flying about the box (the bearings came out one of the ball bits on the end of the shaft and that knocking about had scored and pitted the diff part in the box). Apart from this though, it was a good box. The only other issue was a slight crunch into 3rd if you rushed it.

The gearbox currently on the car was one I got cheap to replace the above, After a year of track work, it now crunches into 3rd and 4th most of the time, and it has a whine in 1st and when slowing down off throttle in higher gears (assuming some of the shaft/diff bearings are on their way out). Basically, it's pretty fucked! But it has no diff issues.

So I'm trying to decide from the following:
Option 1 would be send the spare box for a refurb, but I'm assuming that n/s part of the diff would need replaced so I'm worried this could end up costing a lot more than I'd hope.
Option 2 is to get the box in the car refurbed, but it seems like there would be a lot of things (bearings/selectors/synchros) to replace with the noises/crunches it makes!
Option 3 (I don't know if this is possible), I have another random JC5 box lying (sure it's off a kangoo van or something but can't confirm the numbers). Could I take the diff part from this and fire it into my spare box, then send that for a refurb? Or is that diff part matched to other bits of the gearbox and would I just be setting myself up for problems down the line by doing this?

Any advice on what my best option is here? Also are Agency still the go to place for a refurb? Not clued up on this much!

Quite a long post with lots of questions now I look back at it. Hopefully someone can help!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Basically mate, the diff isn't an issue as that's easily remedied!
It'll need at a guess, bearings, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 3rd/4th selector ring (doubles up as reverse - don't ask) and then a few seals.

That's a bill of £350 to £450 just in parts!

Option 1 or 2 will result in the above mate. Option 3 is a non starter.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Basically mate, the diff isn't an issue as that's easily remedied!
It'll need at a guess, bearings, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 3rd/4th selector ring (doubles up as reverse - don't ask) and then a few seals.

That's a bill of £350 to £450 just in parts!

Option 1 or 2 will result in the above mate. Option 3 is a non starter.
Wasn't expecting that much lol!

So my best option is most likely to refurb the spare box I have? I'll dig out a picture of the diff bit that's damaged. As said, apart from that bit, I'm 99% sure it's a much better box. Only thing I ever remember from it was a crunch into 3rd when hammering it on track.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wasn't expecting that much lol!

So my best option is most likely to refurb the spare box I have? I'll dig out a picture of the diff bit that's damaged. As said, apart from that bit, I'm 99% sure it's a much better box. Only thing I ever remember from it was a crunch into 3rd when hammering it on track.
I think I've seen it before tbh mate. Sure you sent it me in a pm? The spare box sounds the better option for definite then if it's only 3rd.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Damaged bit of the diff as mentioned above

IMG_20150422_192717.jpg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Where were you gonna get it done mate? any where up here recommended?

The box in the Megane is whining so I'm expecting it do need a rebuild at some poin