ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox problems............

audi tt 225
are there any typical faults on clio gearboxes? my mate has a 172ff 4 yrs old 40k on the clock and gearbox has 'gone'. not sure of details, only know its bollocksed. was wondering if any one else had problem? solutions? or know anyone in north west area to see about sorting it out?????

help! thanks mark!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
a gearbox problem on a 172? never?! lol

yeah they are a common weakness, replace the box is really the only way, and then be more carefull with the next one, i went thru 2 on my 1.2 16v in a year

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
^^ Did you use a clutch of some sort? ^^

I abused my 1.2 for 7 months, never a single problem. Suppose i must have more mechanical sympathy but it was perfect nonetheless.

172 was a different story, done 37k and 3rd gear synchro was tired. Other than that was fine, took a bloody good beating too.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've done a hard 70k ish in my 172 Cup, and 182, and never had a single gearbox issue. Mechanical sympathy is the key ;)

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
yeh alot of the time the boxes start to leak oil from where the selectors go into the box at the bottom. then when the oil gets low thats when they get damaged.

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
mine is "baulking" in 1st. basically if you are sat at lights in neutral then dip the clutch and go for 1st there is a deep thud. Being low milage i guess this is common in most sports? please say yes! lol

2005 clio 182 cup f1
My 2005 182 Cup has been driven in a mechanically sympathetic manner and has gone at 75000kms. What is the life span sposed to be on a gearbox if not thrashed?

Bus w**ker
Coming up to 82k and mine is very very poorly, so much so that it's coming out on the 12th for a recon and new clutch.

I'm blaming previous owners and f**ked CV boots, because obviously I'm a f**king awesome driver. :cool: