ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil leak? Some advice needed

clio 172
Ive got an oil leak which looks like its coming from the passenger side driveshaft seal,(the 3 bolt cv boot seal) the boot doesnt look split the leak looks like its behind the metal seal. Is this an easy job to do as ive had a look but couldn't find a guide

any help would be much appreciated

jonny

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
jack car up, clean up area and inspect for where the leak is 100% coming from. if nothing obvious run up the road and back then check again. if still nothing, get the box oil warm on a longer drive again

if your 100% satisfied its that area for the leak then the seal may be unseated or simply loose bolts. worse case the boot itself on the shaft (this is the seal) may need replacing

basic job to check is firstly try nipping the 3 retaining bolts up (dont overcook them, they are into an alloy box and can strip)

if not loose then, drain box oil from drain hole on the bottom (looks like a sump plug near the selctor on bottom of box) loosen hub nut, jack car up, remove wheel and top hub bolts to strut, undo 3 retaining bolts to the box that hold the boot/shaft/seal. remove shaft with boot/seal from box end if you have the clearance or completely if your struggling (can be a wiggle) inspect boot and clean/reseat and fit if all looks well.

refit is reversal of whats above and test again

clio 172
Thank you for that the leaks definatly coming from behind the metal seal so ill havto give it a go when the weather clears up, thanks again massive help

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
used to live in Stocky I did back in the day, just under underbank on the Manchester Road :)

clio 172
Aar i know where you mean, i live up near the high school not a bad little village tbh, does get worse every year tho and the roads are shocking