ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Noise & Leakage (Vid & Pics)

Mk3 Megane 250
I'm pretty confident i hope it is just the release bearing, but as you can hear in the vid the lovely noise, it disappears when the clutch is pressed and returns when depressed.

Also the pictures, the first one, can it be confirmed if this is the plug to fill the box? (Wingnut shape) as it is weeping, also i believe it is weeping from the dirveshaft, is there a seal in there that can be replaced? and lastly where the rubber boot is, is this prone to leaking?

Car is a PH2 172

Cheers

33da93n.jpg

35jxc9e.jpg

1euxb7.jpg

And the Video

[video=youtube_share;BezSYX4zMfs]http://youtu.be/BezSYX4zMfs[/video]

Sounds like a clutch release bearing to me.

Yes that's the filler hole.
Looks to be the drive shaft oil seal
Gear linkage Is very common to leak. You used to be able to get a repair kit but I don't think you can anymore.

I fitted one and it still leaked. Thought it was user error so ordered another and some extra seals.

Took it out refitted with new seals still leaked. Gear box packed up so had it rebuilt and genuine seal put back in and its sound now.(touch wood)

Sold all the spares on. Ime a waste of time but to me the shaft leak seems to be the main contributer to your problem.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
If clutch is needing done I would change the seals for genuine OE ones at the time the box is out.

Box needs splitting to fit genuine seal.

Unless its for rebuild i wouldn't bother..

If i was you i would sort the driveshaft leak, clean all the underside of the box up and around the selector seal.

Top the gear oil up and monitor it.

Last edited:
  Mk3 Megane 250
Box needs splitting to fit genuine seal.

Unless its for rebuils i wouldn't bother..

If i was you i would sort the driveshaft leak, clean all the underside of the box up and around the selector seal.

Top the gear oil up and monitor it.
Thats the plan, managed to get a bit of it, but need to get decent cleaning stuff again, and top up. Anyone got a part number for the driveshaft seal?

MarcR maybe able to get you the part number or pm Adam@renault wolverhampton

I used brake cleaner when i used to clean mine, makes very light work of grease spray on and wipe excess off after