ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz Coilovers, £450 on eBay - any good?

White ds3
iv got these one and orderd form this guy very good took a fiew wks but if you phone he anwers every time he even phones you to keep you up to date highly recomendid

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
i have gaz on my ph1 and havent had any problems (touch wood)
you can buy better but thats always the case, there good enough to lower more than needed and have a reasonable ride quality,
ive had mine for 6 months and wouldnt change them for any others

oh yeah i have a number of someone who sells them for less than that
pm me if your interested ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Are these actually any good or they just for lowering freaks?

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Well these and others around this price range interest me, but I already have Koni dampers and springs (not sure whether adjustable or not), which seem to cost around the same as these coilovers from K Tec!!! So would I see a benefit? Are my Koni dampers and springs worth that much?? They came with the car, and seem ok. I need some new top mounts at the mo desperately though so may see what its like after I've replaced them this w/e.

Corsa Van. Meh.
^^ where abouts in essex you from mate?

Your more than welcome to come and sample a ride in mine, I have FK's. Would give you an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:
  2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
^^ where abouts in essex you from mate?

Your more than welcome to come and sample a ride in mine, I have FK's. Would give you an idea of what to expect.

I'm in Basildon, that would be superb, thanks!! Only just started to realise my top mounts are ruined, I reckon so much so that I'm actually getting some -ve camber for free!! There's knocking and squeaking etc too, so this w/e the top mounts are getting replaced, standard ones from GSF for now, solid ones later when I can afford. I'll do this first then it'd be really good to compare, thanks ClioTurbo_1. :D

Corsa Van. Meh.
I'm in Basildon, that would be superb, thanks!! Only just started to realise my top mounts are ruined, I reckon so much so that I'm actually getting some -ve camber for free!! There's knocking and squeaking etc too, so this w/e the top mounts are getting replaced, standard ones from GSF for now, solid ones later when I can afford. I'll do this first then it'd be really good to compare, thanks ClioTurbo_1. :D

I'm only in Billericay so give me a shout!

Matt

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Utter dross GAZ. Been there done that..... buy cheap buy twice (i did :()

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its not abuse. I have had the misfortune. I have substance to back up my rantings about how w**k they are lol.

Porsche Boxster987S
what exactly is so bad with the GAZ setup? im curious cause im either going to fork out for these or just get sportlines

Ditto, tbh I'm getting to the point where I don't bother replying to most of the posts. People clearly can't use the search function. Put bluntly they're cack.

They have adjustment but you only have 2 choices no matter how many clicks you go in either direction, bouncy or boneshaker. They knock rattle, squeek, clunk and generally make the handling worse than a £90 set of apex springs. That sum it up enough for you?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
what exactly is so bad with the GAZ setup? im curious cause im either going to fork out for these or just get sportlines

If you want noisy, pogo stick handling, then go for it ;)

They ruin what the Clio is good at................... handling ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They have adjustment but you only have 2 choices no matter how many clicks you go in either direction, bouncy or boneshaker. They knock rattle, squeek, clunk and knock and generally make the handling worse than a £90 set of apex springs. That sum it up enough for you?

The scars are deep, and still raw :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I want some coilovers, just can't justify spending so much on H&Rs, them or standard IMO

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd be inclined to fit some Koni/bilstein dampers with Ebaich sport lines. They'd be 100% better than cheap coilovers. I had some Prolines fitted to my Cup before the GAZ Coilovers. Really rated them. Just didnt give the drop i wanted.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I want some coilovers, just can't justify spending so much on H&Rs, them or standard IMO

Ask Kev what he thought about them on my Cup ;) Keep a look on ebay. I sourced a second hand set of H&R's for my 182 on here, then sold them to Guppy :)

Biggest waste of money I think I've ever had the misfortune of owning on a car. And I had a set of 17's on my 172 at one point :eek: if only I knew! lol

PMSL!!!

Porsche Boxster987S
I'd be inclined to fit some Koni/bilstein dampers with Ebaich sport lines. They'd be 100% better than cheap coilovers. I had some Prolines fitted to my Cup before the GAZ Coilovers. Really rated them. Just didnt give the drop i wanted.

by doing this would it go lower?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Proline - hardly...... Sportline - 30mm iirc (might be the other way round?)

Porsche Boxster987S
Proline - hardly...... Sportline - 30mm iirc (might be the other way round?)

sportlines lower it more , i know that. just didnt understand what you meant about dampners or that. im pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of thing

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The dampers will be shorter, therefore better. But imo, you'd be fine putting the sportlines on your car, with the Renault dampers. Ebaich are a quality spring. Will feel a wee bit tighter than the Cup set up, but not too hard or crashy like the Apex.

Porsche Boxster987S
The dampers will be shorter, therefore better. But imo, you'd be fine putting the sportlines on your car, with the Renault dampers. Ebaich are a quality spring. Will feel a wee bit tighter than the Cup set up, but not too hard or crashy like the Apex.

ok so you'd say i wouldnt make the handling worse by fitting sportlines?? I

Da

Less
I have sportlines on mine, there is a difference in ride quality but it's minimal.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Ditto, tbh I'm getting to the point where I don't bother replying to most of the posts. People clearly can't use the search function. Put bluntly they're cack.

Funny you should say that, just try searching "gaz". Nothing comes up.

ok so you'd say i wouldnt make the handling worse by fitting sportlines?? I

got mine for xmas, they are ace, just deciding what dampers to go with now. the ride is a little firmer, the drop is good for me, makes my 16s fill the arches better, and the handling is improved, they are great imo.

Clio MK 4
my dilemma is like most on here.

most likely going to get sportlines due to them being cheaper than collies but i know i will want lower

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i had sportlines but wanted coilvers so was looking at the gaz but i didnt want to waste all that money and be dissapointed but luckily for me i got some mega cheap H&Rs