ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming monitor vs Decent tv

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Anyone gone from a decent tv to a decent monitor etc. Was chatting to a guy who’s into gaming and he swears playing on a monitor is lots better than a tv. Something to do with reduced lag?.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone. Looking at spending 150-200. Something easy to pack away as it’s going in the lounge etc. Assume they are all easy enough being just a monitor lol

@Darren S
@SharkyUK

Clio 182
Monitor everytime.
It’s so much faster and easier to play.
Watch the MLG all use monitors.
I’ve the asus 24” I think and I just pick it up and put it behind the big tv when I’m not using it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah allways played on a big tv.

Chap next door and his lad (who’s very good at fortnite) swears by a monitor.
Yeah something like 24/27. Never looked into them before.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It’s all about the lag, from the time you press the button until it appears on the screen.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yep. From a quick look, anything 10m/s and less is what I’m after.

Just watched a video of the Asus 23” (VX238H) which seems decent

Clio 182
Think my asus is 0.5
My tv in normal mode is 80 and 40 in game mode but the pic is shocking.

I find on games like cod when gaming online you have the clear advantage with a monitor.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Only play FPS games, fortnite daily as of late lol.

Guy I work next door too sent me a video of him playing fortnite on a monitor, looks far better even through YouTube than my tv does. And my tv is decent.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - as others, it’s night and day difference between a decent monitor and a TV.

It’s particularly noticeable when you’re playing fast-paced games like FPSs or racing games. Not so much with RTSs and the like...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Recommend any decent monitors for my needs

Looking on amazon it seems you can get moieties for 115 upwards. There are lots, this is gonna test my ‘need’ for research

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
For the 150-200 budget you won't get a tv that will be able to compare with a monitor in terms of lag and refresh rate (generally). However, your monitor won't get you the niceties like HDR and decent speakers either - although neither would spending that on a tv. Any chance you can stretch the budget a bit? At the price you are looking to pay I would expect to be able to find something 'adequate' rather than 'decent' if that makes sense. (I don't mean that in any snobbish way at all mate, I appreciate you probably have more important things to spend your hard-earned on!)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
All the monitor will be used for is gaming, fortnite, bf1 etc.

Have got headphones into the controller. So not interested in anything but a decent picture and minimal input lag.

Looking about on forums, YouTube etc It can definitely be done.

Asus, BenQ etc.

I would normally spend a couple of grand but have a six month Holliday in the Bahamas to pay for.

:)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
At that budget and if it's just a temporary thing I'd be going used mate, it's a bit of a roll of the dice but you should be able to find something decent local enough to go and see, plus you shouldn't lose much or anything if you want to sell it on and upgrade later.

For what it's worth I've got one of these which I've been very happy with, no bells and whistles, not ultrawide, just a decent 32" 16:9 panel, but it blows your budget. Think I picked it up on sale for £300. It's far from the greatest but I wanted a big screen for work as well as gaming.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0RPGP7/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Don't get too hung up on the headline refresh rate being 5ms or 8ms, it's basically marketing b****cks that just says how well the screen can possibly shift a pixel in the most optimal of conditions.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise Newegg had a UK store.. when did that start?

Their prices are excluding VAT! That's a very American model

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I really don’t want to be spending 350 upwards on a monitor. Maybe when I turn pro lol.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Like anything there will be a difference.

But from what I’ve ‘read’ the example I linked will do me fine and be an improvement over the tv?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise Newegg had a UK store.. when did that start?

Their prices are excluding VAT! That's a very American model
Ah - didn't realise is was exclusive of VAT as it flashed up on a feed and I didn't read it through!

Like anything there will be a difference.

But from what I’ve ‘read’ the example I linked will do me fine and be an improvement over the tv?
Yes mate - I'd just pull the trigger on that one as it will likely be very similar to other models of similar spec. :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff. It’s for my birthday at the end of May.

Could spend hours looking for one but they seem decent enough for me I’m sure

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Much difference between these two?

This one has cracking reviews

53E18507-65A3-4CC5-9DDC-5EBB072233E6.png

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think there's much in it. BenQ seemingly has the better feedback from gamers from what I've read in the last few moments and, being 60Hz and a TN panel, the difference between the two will not be that noticeable (if at all). Whether the response / lag is 1ms, 2ms or even 8-10ms on these doesn't matter as it is below the threshold of what the TN panel delivers so makes no difference whatsoever. I'd say it's personal preference mate :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Update. Got the Asus monitor and I’m no expert but it seems spot on. Loads better than the tv.

Recommended.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Only issue with monitors over TVs is that the built it speakers tend to be utter guff. Not a problem if you use a headset but sepearate speakers are essential if not.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
  Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Cars, bikes and computers are my main hobbies, I tend to nerd out on them all a little too much, lol.

@imprezaworks You can download a program called Calibrize that I use to calibrate my main monitor (it's an IPS panel). The problem with TN panels is that the colours appear washed out, it's just their nature.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-calibrize-to-color-calibrate-your-monitor-windows/

Another tip: If you're running an nvidia graphics card you can raise the Digital Vibrance setting to 70-80% (Or as high or low as you prefer) and it will make colours brighter and 'pop' a lot more.

DigitalVibrance_pgxegf-1024x770.jpg

or if your on the standard Intel graphics you can change it a little by navigating to:

Intel Graphic Preferences -> Display devices -> Color -> Advanced

Or try this program: Colour goggles for Intel.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Ahh, not much you can do with it really. The onscreen options aren't great for colour management.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, lol.

Was looking at Youtube videos about swapping game modes, theatre, game, night view etc. To help input lag, clarity etc. Picture is good but i like to mess.