ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Gaming" computer help

Titanium 182
Firstly notice the inverted commas.

Now, my 15 year old cousin has just had his birthday and has £200 to spend on a computer. I realise this is not gaming pc money but the game he wants to run is World of warcraft which isn't hugely intensive and he's not bothered about running it on ultra settings just good or above.

At the moment he's looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XW8400-Dual-C..._DesktopPCs&hash=item415a7a701c#ht_4372wt_907

Could any of you suggest anything better ? I can put bits together if buying stuff separate would be preferable as I've built them before.

ps. He doesn't need a monitor.

Titanium 182
Just edited, no he's already got one.

I can donate him some ram too so take that into account if necessary :rasp:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wrong CPU - a Xeon for gaming? :S

Also the 4350 will be woefully adequate at best. Things like Bejeweled 3 might be ok, but I wouldn't want to even try WoW on it. That said, a seperate 3850 can run Half-Life 2 absolutely fine - so he might get away with it.

But unless he spends his free-time playing with databases and 300,000+ row Excel spreadsheets - I'd stay clear of the Xeon.

D.

Titanium 182
does he have an old computer?

Yeah but I've no idea what's in it he could use the case I suppose and the psu if it would be adequate.

I have a CPU he could have but all the pins are bent on it. If I straighten them will it work again ? it's a Amd quad core black edition thing. Socket is AM2+

I'm just sayin. £200 really can't buy a gaming PC. At that price point a console will deliver FAR better visuals and a wider array of playable games for the same price. Unfortunately, if he has his heart set on WoW then I guess he has no choice.

Titanium 182
Well he's already got an xbox. But for £200 is it possible to get something that runs it. I know I've played it on low settings on a f**king wreck of a PC before and it worked with 25+ fps I've also played it on "Good" settings on a 4 year old macbook with no dedicated graphics.

If I can fix the pins on my cpu which

mobo am2+, psu, and graphics card. Should he get ?

Titanium 182

Thanks that's brilliant I'll show him it later and see what he thinks. Even though he doesn't know what any of it is haha

Well he's already got an xbox. But for £200 is it possible to get something that runs it. I know I've played it on low settings on a f**king wreck of a PC before and it worked with 25+ fps I've also played it on "Good" settings on a 4 year old macbook with no dedicated graphics.

If I can fix the pins on my cpu which

mobo am2+, psu, and graphics card. Should he get ?

Ahh ok fair enough mate. Well in that case it seems he really has his heart set on a PC just for WoW. I've never played it myself but if it runs ok on low-end machines then I guess it's possible for £200. It's not a segment of the market I've ever investigated so can't say much more than that. I'd try and get something with at least a half decent case that helps with upgrading in the future when he has a bit more cash available, as PC gaming can get quite addictive in terms of hardware! :eek:

Titanium 182
Ahh ok fair enough mate. Well in that case it seems he really has his heart set on a PC just for WoW. I've never played it myself but if it runs ok on low-end machines then I guess it's possible for £200. It's not a segment of the market I've ever investigated so can't say much more than that. I'd try and get something with at least a half decent case that helps with upgrading in the future when he has a bit more cash available, as PC gaming can get quite addictive in terms of hardware! :eek:

Yeah I introduced him to it, the game's horribly addictive. But it doesn't even start to push most systems until the settings go up to Ultra.

I've just seen this

http://www.cclonline.com/product/39...L-Eclipse-Thor-Motherboard-Bundle/MBB-EC-BUD/

£200 with no GPU. I was thinking a GT9600 is like £20 off ebay and I used to play wow with one. I could buy him one as a present then butcher his old PCs Case, power supply, hard drive & Disc drive. That way he's got a decent mobo and cpu

I realise the 9600 is old hat now but should scrape through ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zalman-VF770-...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item335f944985

Best off getting something second hand imo. Probs more powerful than something new for the price.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
problem with that is knowing if the previous owner overclocked it and reduced its lifespan

Unless it was over clocked ridiculously high, they usually still last a good few years (CPU's at least)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Much better imo. As Bridgey says, if there is a donor case, PSU, etc - then the above is certainly good for the money.

D.