ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

G1WH dashboard camera review

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Apologies if I've missed it. But I'm assuming it plugs into the cigarette lighter until you get it hard wired in?

Yep, comes with a 3.5m lead as per the picture in post #4.

I had someone pull out on me when I was overtaking this morning, no mirror check or signal at all from them, I kind of expected it so it wasn't too close when it did happen but it's nice to know that if I did get caught out I'd have the footage from this to prove my case.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
...and can you set that to loop record, write protect in the event of an impact, and fire up and shut down automatically when ignition is turned on and off?

Yes. I can also use motion detection, rotate footage, select wide or narrow angle recording, set delayed recording (running on for a period of time after the car is shut off), output footage to a screen live, adjust colour, brightness and exposure to suit, do time lapse photography and there's more but I can't remember it off the top of my head. When installed I couldn't even see it from my driver's position and it couldn't be seen from outside either.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Id be wanting one for when i go for a bit of a drive for say an hour or so. This wouldnt be upto the job then? Play nice as im thick when electricals are involved.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. I can also use motion detection, rotate footage, select wide or narrow angle recording, set delayed recording (running on for a period of time after the car is shut off), output footage to a screen live, adjust colour, brightness and exposure to suit, do time lapse photography and there's more but I can't remember it off the top of my head. When installed I couldn't even see it from my driver's position and it couldn't be seen from outside either.

Which camera is this?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Interested. Link?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm sorry but I get well over an hour from a camera a fraction of the size and weight, at 60fps.

Doesn't this one do 60fps @ 720p, which is the same as the Mobius. This also does 1080 @ 30fps.

Battery feels like moot point beacuse most people would have it wired to power permanently and after a few months to a year of being used on power like that the battery would be next to useless on any device.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Personaly i'd be looking for something to hook up easily and go for a drive for half an hour after work etc.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Which camera is this?

Interested. Link?

Mobius ActionCam. I did a bit of a review on it in the dashcam thread. I also uploaded some fairly raw footage from the camera which I strongly recommend viewing as YouTube f***s up the quality. I'll link it later if nobody has done so before then.

Doesn't this one do 60fps @ 720p, which is the same as the Mobius. This also does 1080 @ 30fps.

Battery feels like moot point beacuse most people would have it wired to power permanently and after a few months to a year of being used on power like that the battery would be next to useless on any device.

I personally prefer the Mobius's video quality. it's properly smooth.
Battery life is handy if you want to use the Möbius as an action camera like a gopro, which it does really well IMO.

Mobius ActionCam. I did a bit of a review on it in the dashcam thread. I also uploaded some fairly raw footage from the camera which I strongly recommend viewing as YouTube f**ks up the quality. I'll link it later if nobody has done so before then.

Battery life is handy if you want to use the Möbius as an action camera like a gopro, which it does really well IMO.

Could you send a link to the one you've got please?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

My GoPro covers that sort of thing for me.

As said, battery life on a permanently wired in dashcam is a moot point...for £35 with a screen I'm more than happy with the G1WH.

If you want an action camera then clearly the G1WH is not for you. As a dashboard camera though, it excels.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'll stick links up later.

Personally I see no need for a screen. You want to set it up, leave it and essentially forget about it. I'm not saying the G1WH is crap, but I think the Möbius edges it.

Valid points!

Personal preference is what it comes down to really as there is little to separate them on price...I like the screen on the G1WH for ease of setup and battery and ultimate size matter not to me.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Footage from mine caught this happening today...I kind of expected it from their behaviour beforehand so it didn't develop into much...but it's reassuring to know this thing is recording should anything like this catch me out...

Last edited by a moderator:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Why did you keep overtaking despite the warning arrows, resulting in you being forced onto the hatched area where there's an increased risk of punctures due to increased debris? Could've killed someone.

(I don't care. #CSi)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Why did you keep overtaking despite the warning arrows, resulting in you being forced onto the hatched area where there's an increased risk of punctures due to increased debris? Could've killed someone.

(I don't care. #CSi)

No solid lines, hatched areas are there to be used, I thought the A-Class might have finally woken up and applied some pressure to their throttle, local knowledge etc. etc. etc.

#ineversaidididnothingwronghere

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not sure if serious?

Somewhat.

You knew what the A class was going to do but accelerated toward him to try and bully (I don't mean that as an opinion of you, but it's the best fitting word I can think of) him into not overtaking. I do this too so don't think I'm sat on a high horse, I just don't get the whole upload a video of someone driving and point out mistakes. Especially when I'm pretty sure he had right of way to overtake since the road was splitting as he moved into lane 2.

Anyway. I took the bait. Thank you for uploading to demonstrate the camera ability. (I've just bought one based on this thread).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If I'd uploaded the previous two minutes you'd have seen that when presented twice with opportunities like the one here, the A-Class sat there and did nothing. No attempt to overtake, no change in road position, nothing that suggested they weren't happy to carry on at 35-45 mph behind the Merc in a NSL.

Given that, what am I to do exactly?

Also, I hung well back before the overtake and made sure I had momentum to get past quickly and safely and made sure I positioned myself correctkly and gave clear and timely indication...I really don't know what else I could have done or how else I could have approached it given the facts and the road and opportunity that was presented to me. Unless I should have continued to accept traveling at a little over half the posted, and safe, speed limit.

As for pointing out mistakes, it's more about prompting discussion, hearing opinions, and educating all of us.

As I said, I did things wrong here too...there's no high-horse here either!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Given that, what am I to do exactly?

As I said pal, I'd have probably done the same, it was just the title of the video that I was commenting on.

I've just realised I need a new MOT, so this camera will make me feel better about dropping the car off at Kwik fit haha.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
As I said pal, I'd have probably done the same, it was just the title of the video that I was commenting on.

I've just realised I need a new MOT, so this camera will make me feel better about dropping the car off at Kwik fit haha.

:cool:

I actually like a bit of debate about things like this...it makes one question events and actions...which can only be a good thing.

I'd not thought about the service aspect etc.! A £47 one off fee to ensure little pr*cks don't rag your car...I like this thing even more now!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So, a month down the line and now with a second G1WH for the rear, I decided to mount them a little more permanently than can be done with the supplied suction mounts.

The camera/memory card/mount bundle I bought had a rear-view-mirror stem mount that didn't fit around the mirror on my ST. Wanting something stuck to the windscreen I thought I could make something out of this redundant mount;

I started with this

IMG_20140719_172053_zps8ohqwfus.jpg

which I disassembled until I was left with this

IMG_20140719_172220_zpsrtjxun59.jpg

then drifted the pin out to separate

IMG_20140719_173232_zps0dqo7opd.jpg

before gingerly going at it with a saw and some wet'n'dry giving this (before and after)

IMG_20140719_173325_zps1joljds4.jpg

then reassembled with some sticky pads applied

IMG_20140719_174801_zpszr760mnj.jpg

and then both mounted front and rear

IMG_20140719_180546_zpsaxpfs4n1.jpg

IMG_20140719_182538_zps81hdxxsm.jpg

I'm very happy with how they've turned out, securely mounted, nil vibration, minimal effort required.

:approve:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That's an awesome way to mount them, how long have they been stuck down so far, were the pads anything special?

I managed to cook my G1WH last week by hooking it up to a 12v feed instead of 5v. I've ordered another one and have the hard wiring already installed and would much prefer to mount it higher than the suction cup allows, I'll give this method a bash.

For some strange reason the bit that attaches to the camera on the rearview mirror mount feels much more secure than the suction cup one, which almost feels loose (although surprisingly this doesn't translate in the videos).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's an awesome way to mount them, how long have they been stuck down so far, were the pads anything special?

I managed to cook my G1WH last week by hooking it up to a 12v feed instead of 5v. I've ordered another one and have the hard wiring already installed and would much prefer to mount it higher than the suction cup allows, I'll give this method a bash.

For some strange reason the bit that attaches to the camera on the rearview mirror mount feels much more secure than the suction cup one, which almost feels loose (although surprisingly this doesn't translate in the videos).

Only stuck down since last night so far...nothing special sticky pad wise...Sellotape Permanent Stick Fixers. Past experience with these (using GoPro mounts) has shown them to be ore than up to the task.

As for the rattly mount...that's another reason I wanted to move to the rearview one as it has a clip/release toggle on it so locks it in once it's seated fully home.

Footage?

There'll be a thread up soon where I went out last night to see how high I could get the intake temps up (trying to determine if there's any benefit at all from an intercooler for normal road use) and an S4 joined in the fun.

I'd agree if you leave them in the car, visible, when parked up.

Why would you do that though? Would you leave a sat nav stuck on a mount on the windscreen?

didnt realise you were taking them in and out every time!

I'm thinking of going with a small camera and hiding it inside the rear view mirror casing

BMW M4; S1000 RR
didnt realise you were taking them in and out every time!

I'm thinking of going with a small camera and hiding it inside the rear view mirror casing

That sounds like a lot of f**king about.

I leave mine in my car constantly, maybe if you live in an area ripe with car crime you should worry, but who is really going to smash a car window to steal a shitty camera from China?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly!

I don't actually ever take mine out because I park on my drive in a quiet village, or I park in a private car park within 5 metres of my office window.

If I were to park somewhere where I felt there was a risk I'd probably remove the front one though. The rear one is not visible through the privacy glass unless you put your face right up to it.