ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

G1WH dashboard camera review

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What extra does the Mobius give you for how much extra £?

IMG_20140608_114810_zpsumwkznhn.jpg

IMG_20140608_114836_zpsylxe1uru.jpg

IMG_20140607_214952_zpsrj73v1m2.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Mobius is tiny, you can easily fit-and-forget it. Quality's slightly better too IMO, 60fps makes a huge difference.

This still looks good for the money though.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'll get it mounted better than it is...I'm going to butcher the mirror clamp to make a small pad I can stick up high behind the mirror, I'll end up not being able to see it while driving along. That's small enough for me.

For what it cost it's incredible value in my opinion. I'm definitely getting a second one for the rear.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for certain in-car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You can get it here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310891426086?clk_rvr_id=646551952185

That's a link to the G1W which has a 120 degree angle and a bright shiny large silver bezel around the lens. The G1WH I have has the black bezel as per my picture, a 140 degree viewing angle and something else internal is improved as well I think.

Search the sellers's shop for his other bundles, I got the G1WH + the double-jointed-clamp-mount + 32gb micro-SD card. I thought as a bundle it was easily worth £47.50 considering a few have had issues with certain memory cards/classes not registering in the camera. The one this came with has worked fine straight out of the box.

+1 to the Mobius as well, not sure of size comparison but the picture is slightly better. I believe they're around £45-55.

Tbh, for the same cost as this one, I'd go for #16 Keychain Camera (from an official vendor).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Just out of interest, can these be used by the police against you in cases of speeding, etc?

Great for track day usage, might have to invest!!

I'd have thought so!

I did umm and aah for a long time about that...if anything having this fitted to the car has had a positive impact on my driving...and with very little detriment.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Any idea which cameras you support? I presume it's only stuff like BlackVue etc.

Hi,

Here is the most up to date list of car cameras that can qualify for a discount on our policies:
· Black Vue – 380 & 400 G.HD
· ChilliBongo
· Exeros HD Car Cameras (the following models are currently available from Exeros)
o Akenori Car Camera
o Cube 3 Car Camera
o DriverEye Car Camera
o HawkEye HD Car Camera
o HawkEye Duo HD Car Camera
o Raptor Nano System
· ForView FHX 2000 & FHX 1000
· IPIXI
· MI Witness HD Camera
· Next Base InCarCam – Lite / Deluxe / Professional Models
· Novus System – View I Ruby and Silver Systems
· Phantom Cameras
· Roadhawk Forward Facing DC1
· Rollei CarDVR-110
· Rollei CarDVR-100
· Rollei CarDVR-70
· Silent Witness SW001
· Silent Witness SW010
· SmartCam2
· Smart Witness Cameras
· TTW Black Vue Cameras
· VCAM

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dan.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is this camera hard wired in, so when ignition comes on it starts recording for say 5 minute loop. Then ignition off it stops? Or if I press button on camera it stores last 5 minutes.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is this camera hard wired in, so when ignition comes on it starts recording for say 5 minute loop. Then ignition off it stops? Or if I press button on camera it stores last 5 minutes.

It works from an ignition 'switched' power feed...in my case for now (until I get it properly hard-wired in), running from the front power socket.

Ignition on, it starts recording. Ignition off, it stops recording.

It records individual files that you can set to be either 3, 5, or 10 minutes in length...each one overlaps the previous one slightly by a few frames. Once the memory card is full it then starts overwriting the oldest files.

There is an in-built G-sensor which write-protects the current file if it detects an impact so should you be involved in something, the footage remains safe on the SD card until you manually clear it off.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hi,

Here is the most up to date list of car cameras that can qualify for a discount on our policies:
· Black Vue – 380 & 400 G.HD
· ChilliBongo
· Exeros HD Car Cameras (the following models are currently available from Exeros)
o Akenori Car Camera
snip
· Smart Witness Cameras
· TTW Black Vue Cameras
· VCAM

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dan.

What happens if there is a claim and the camera was not on or in the car??

BMW M4; S1000 RR
There is an in-built G-sensor which write-protects the current file if it detects an impact so should you be involved in something, the footage remains safe on the SD card until you manually clear it off.

Got to love eBay's marketing!

Flash media is rated to far higher Gs than any human could survive IIRC.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do these record over the oldest data on the card or do you have to manually delete files to make space ?

Yes, loops over oldest once the card is full.

Got to love eBay's marketing!

Flash media is rated to far higher Gs than any human could survive IIRC.

You've misunderstood what it does. Left to its own devices it will record over the oldest files once the card is full. If you have an accident that's registered by it's g-meter/accelerometer it will mark the file being recorded at the time and write-protect it. Then when the memory card loops around again over-writing old data, the marked file is preserved.

It's nothing at all to do with G what a human or a micro-SD card can survive!

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
What's the recording like with low light levels and into darkness?

Definitely want to get a camera but looks minefield.

Thanks for sharing Mark.

I like the look of it a lot.

Haven't read any reviews or watched the videos in detail yet. But what does the screen do, does it show you what it is seeing?

Great for the price I think.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What's the battery life like?

How much footage does your 32GB hold before overwriting?

5 minutes. 10 at the most. Enough for you to be able to walk around after an accident and photograph and/or video the surroundings/other cars etc.

It also serves to allow the unit to shut itself down properly after the ignition fed power supply is cut.

Thanks for sharing Mark.

I like the look of it a lot.

Haven't read any reviews or watched the videos in detail yet. But what does the screen do, does it show you what it is seeing?

Great for the price I think.

Yes, real time viewing of what's being recorded etc. You can set the screen to stay on permanently (too bright at night) or turn off after 3/5/10 minutes.

It can't be beaten for the price!

If it can I'd like to see what by...

Yes, real time viewing of what's being recorded etc. You can set the screen to stay on permanently (too bright at night) or turn off after 3/5/10 minutes.

It can't be beaten for the price!

If it can I'd like to see what by...

Apologies if I've missed it. But I'm assuming it plugs into the cigarette lighter until you get it hard wired in?

I was also looking at this on eBay. Good thing about this is it can use the Go Pro mounts. Looks good too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371048723458?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT