ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full lock clicks and clunks???

BMW 1 SERIES
hi there, i have developed a clunk on full lock and when turning the wheel when parking and at v.v. slow speeds. car is fine when in motion, just a car park symptom?? it has oz 16" rims on, but they are not massivly big? any ideas?

172 '03 Clio mk2 84k miles

Thanks

Tom

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Might be worth taking the wheels off and having a look anyway,
if it makes you feel better both my front corners are clunking,
and my ball joints, tie rods & track rod ends were all replaced within a year.

There's also the wishbones, the bushes could be knackered so i've got to check those aswel.

Jack the car up and give the wheels a wiggle top to bottom not side to side,
then take them off and see if there's any give in the wishbone components.

clio 172 phase 2
ive had the same problem with mine. spent ages looking for the problem.
it would make a very loud metalic crack sound, that you could feel through the floor of the car, when manouving lock to lock when parking.
we put it on the ramp and had someone go lock to lock with the steering, while we watched all the ball joints and bushes. they were all fine.

but we could see the rack jump every time it made the noise. and could feel it only when we touched the rack.
so i replaced the rack yesterday and its fixed.

but obviously check all your ball joints and bushes first

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Interestingly, this problem stopped during the period I was on Hankooks. It came back when I put the Michelins back on :/

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Mine does it being lowered :/ iv put it down the top mount under bearings twisting and then releasing making a clunking noise.

Cant be all realted to steering racks. Mines E'PaS on the dci btw