ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fuel pump wont prime

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
the other day the car started for a split second then died from lack of fuel.

i check all the fuses and i hadn't blown one and didn't a loose connection on the bay-car connector. but one of the relays was at first click its nuts off but then nothing.

so i checked if the pump was dead and it doesn't seem to be.

but i wasn't getting a 12v feed to the pump when there should be. i was only getting 0.01v for a few seconds then nothing.

so i replaced the relays because they seemed to be the likely cause. the car tried to start for a split second again then died again of fuel starvation. (also i didn't here the pump prime)

but now i'm getting a constant 0.18v to the pump regardless of the key being in the ignition or the relays being plugged in.

what could be causing this? any suggestions.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
forgot to say this is a ph1 172 engine running in a mk1 valver shell

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
anyone

the main thing i cant get my head around is why the pump has a constant feed of 0.18V

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
thanks for link had a look threw and none off there faults are the same

clio 172
Hi wilky19 I had a very similar fault on my old 16v turned out to be the earth
On the o/s/r light as the fuel pump also used the earth just remove the loom
And check the plug hope this helps

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Hi wilky19 I had a very similar fault on my old 16v turned out to be the earth
On the o/s/r light as the fuel pump also used the earth just remove the loom
And check the plug hope this helps

thanks for the help
ive already tried that.

it seems it most probably a engine bay loom problem. so going to take that out tomorrow and check all of it

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
been chasing wires like a mad mad and have a conclusion on what might be causing the problem and this is a big might... the coil pack

after chasing he fuel pump wires they go brown connector to relay it has two connectors to the relay sharing the same pin then to the coil pack.

and because the coil pack is in original place under the bonnet vent its been getting wet and could have blown the coil pack. but honestly i don't know I'm clutching at straws cos i can't see any other faults on the loom.

could that be the problem? or am i talking utter s**t.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The coil pack shares the ignition controlled live hence its continuity. Have you checked the output voltage from the fuel pump relay first of all to see if that's giving a good +12v? If its only throwing out +0.18v then it could be the relay at fault or the votage feed from the switched side. Have you also tried giving the fuel pump a direct +12v to see if it A: runs the pump and B: allows the car to startup again?

The +0.18v you're seeing could be the result of either a buggered pump drawing too much current (Not likely but possible) or the wiring infastructure between the pump and the relay is at fault. Be it a break in the wiring, a corroded multiplug pin or damaged/trapped wiring.

Mick

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
ive tried multiple relays and neither have changed the the voltage to the pump. but original relay was knackered when i tested it on the bench

going to test the pump again in the p=morning to make sure it definitely isn't that but it unlikely it is because not get a 12v feet.

the 0.18v was constantly going to pump (had the plug plugged into a multimeter) whether the ignition was on or not. it only stopped when the 30 amp plug was removed or when the bay loom was disconnected from the rest of the car. i forgot to test if it stopped when the crash switch was activated.

anyway going to test it all again tomorrow now ive been all the way threw the bay loom.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
i put the loom back in this morning with the new relays and new coilpack. and it starts and run fine. the new coil hasn't solved the s**t cold running which i though it might do.

anyway glad its running again and to have a car i can use now

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
id tried this relays before i took the loom out and it wouldn't start with them. i honesly dont know what caused it stop working bar it being a wiring fault some where along the line.

clio 182
to me it sounds like two wires had rubbed through and were shorting on each other and when youve been having a good rummage around the engine bay loom youve disturbed it so they are no longer contacting. Least its running fine now though