ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FRS 500 vs 200 evo mag

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
This isn't a racing thread don't worry, put your CS police badges away.

I know a mate who went Bedford and evo mag were there doing a test of the FRS 500 vs the 200 as a half price shoot out to compare, apparently the FRS 500 lapped 3 seconds quicker than the 200 but is 15k more, worth the money?

Discuss

lynden

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
not particularly surprised, however one of the lads in a white r26r went out and had a chase and caught him quite easily. however, this may be down to driver skill rather then actually the car itself.

anyways, that thing was a beast yesterday. the noise is awesome!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh the FRS is awesome, and matte black is a winners choice anyway

Swift Sport
Saw the 500 out on track yesterday, looked and sounded awesome. Then again so did the new Megane 250, these are really growing on me now.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Saw the 500 out on track yesterday, looked and sounded awesome. Then again so did the new Megane 250, these are really growing on me now.

I was mega impressed with the Megane 250!

*Make's phone call to bank manager* ;)

Nice to meet you too Ste!

GTD, Lupo
Was chatting to a guy at Wickes the other day who had a new frs and he said he was very dissapointed with it. He said he had come from an ST and wished he had stuck with that. Must admit they do look amazing and I would still love one.

Paul

TrackCar & F30 330d
I'd rather have the 200 and spend the spare £15,000 modifying it a bit and doing trackdays all over the place.

The RS 500 does look fantastic thou :)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
On another note, you buy a 200 and enjoy it its soon worth peanuts, buy a RS500 enjoy it it will still be worth decent money.

Swift Sport
On another note, you buy a 200 and enjoy it its soon worth peanuts, buy a RS500 enjoy it it will still be worth decent money.

I understand where you're coming from, but because the Focus is a much more expensive car I'd imagine you'd still lose more than buying a 200 regardless of depreciation. It's all about percentages. I'd still rather have the Focus any day :)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure I agree with losing less money on a FRS. Only time will tell on that one - in theory I'd agree but there is always chance that it may not be the case. Also, 200's are going second hand for similar to new money, which is only a good sign. Could have bought and used a 200 for a year and sold it for 1.5k less than brand new tbf. The reason that works is 1.5k on a list price of 16k is still circa 10%. On a car as expensive as a FRS - which is about what, 30k? Could end up losing a bit more if you still have to take a hit of 10%. But then again, there are only 500 of them.

Renaultsport Clio 200
From Renaultsport.co.uk -

Lap times from the day:

Clio 200 - 2m 15s
Megane 250 - 2m 8s
Focus 500 - 2m 12s

Last edited:
  Swift Sport

Lap times from the day:

Clio 200 - 2m 15s
Megane 250 - 2m 8s
Focus 500 - 2m 12s

That was on what I think they call the West Circuit. Despite allowing for driver error they're still good times from the Renaults.

Clio 1970000000

Lap times from the day:

Clio 200 - 2m 15s
Megane 250 - 2m 8s
Focus 500 - 2m 12s

The Megane is something else :D. I remember reading from an Evo article or something similar that the FRS rarely makes its quoted power and the Megane is usually above its quoted figure.

Wonder if you get free rattles in the Megane too?

Ad

MK2 FRS
As a track toy the is no doubting the R26R is a beast. It was sensational at n'ring when we went.

The times become less relavent when money and everyday living comes into play.

tbh, I would balk at paying the price for 500. especially when you consider the FRS can be had for 21-22k now.

GTD, Lupo
Not sure how much quicker the 500 is compared to the normal frs but I was reading evo mag I think and they had a ST with the mountune kit and it was quicker than the frs.

Imagine how much fun a SC 200 would be, would put a lot of cars to shame. I would imagine 230bhp is a realistic figure?

Paul

320d
The Megane 250 owns the FRS. Renaultsport are the new hot hatch kings. The fast fords died in the early 90's.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
The Megane 250 owns the FRS. Renaultsport are the new hot hatch kings. The fast fords died in the early 90's.

Meggy 250 does out pace, out brake and out maneuverrs the frs on every "review" ive come across. But got to hand it to the Ford chaps as an experience the FRS is probably alot more exciting to play with.

Regarding residuale values.. You only have to see the waiting lists for the waiting lists to see that it is perhaps a more desirable car than the previous megane. So could possibly command a better residule value. Just have to see.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Afpmsl!

I'm sure the Ford sales managers are crying in their sleep at the laptimes!

I'd love to see the sales figures.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Meggy 250 does out pace, out brake and out maneuverrs the frs on every "review" ive come across. But got to hand it to the Ford chaps as an experience the FRS is probably alot more exciting to play with.

Regarding residuale values.. You only have to see the waiting lists for the waiting lists to see that it is perhaps a more desirable car than the previous megane. So could possibly command a better residule value. Just have to see.

I had to wait 16 weeks for my 1.2 16v dynamique back in 2001. It still hardly made it the height of desirability.;)

I would also suggest renault are dealing in a much more niche market than ford. As said it would interesting to see sales figures!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I've always wanted an RS Ford. But the mkII FRS is too much like a Christmas tree IMO with its fake air duct (why did they do that, why FFS?). Still really liking the mk I. It also doesn't seem to be making the quoted bhp that Ford claims. But then again neither does a CS :rasp:. At least Fords are tunable (unlike the CS). A Mountune ST is perhaps a bit more of an honest car, again just IMO.

Nimbus R26r
Apparently the wrap was coming off the focus aswell. It was autocar magazine and apparently the driver was very quick, the megane 250 was 4 secs quicker a lap and the clio was 2 secs slower. Also worth noting 2 r26r owners caught and passed the focus quite easily apparently. Tbh though the focus does look nice and people said the noise was amazing.

Italian 3.2 V6
id rather have :-

-R26.R (Track weekend car)
-200 (day to day car)

for the money youd pay for the FRS 500! Plus the R26.R will hold money well!

PSJ.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently the wrap was coming off the focus aswell. It was autocar magazine and apparently the driver was very quick, the megane 250 was 4 secs quicker a lap and the clio was 2 secs slower. Also worth noting 2 r26r owners caught and passed the focus quite easily apparently. Tbh though the focus does look nice and people said the noise was amazing.
The 26.r is a track car.

As said i'm sure the sales figures would make for lovely reading.

I'd rather the wrap come off my car at 100mph than my wheel arch extensions!

GTD, Lupo
Read on another forum, in the latest top gear they have just done a "Hot Hatch mega test" ;) and the 200 won it for them. Over both the FRS and the Megane. Will be an interesting read im sure.

Paul

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It did, it was a cracking read.

It's funny how they compare a hot hatch half the size.

Go figure. 205gti vs a GTR anyone?

Swift Sport
LOL Have to agree tbh. All the mags these days just keep comparing cars in 'Track Battles' and 'Performance Group Tests' and similar. In reality I feel they should mark cars on their own merits more, and stop quoting that "This is faster than that". One mans meat is another mans poison, and all that.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly! It's very silly!

0-60 times don't seem at the forefront anymoreeither, that's the way it should be!

I mean why are we comparing a nimble hot hatch to a family sized hot hatch!
You won't get 3 sets of golf clubs in the back of your 200!

Know what i'm saying?

Swift Sport
...Plus the guy who buys the FRS isn't the same guy who'd want a 200.

Different cars targeted at different peeps.

Exactly! It's very silly!

0-60 times don't seem at the forefront anymoreeither, that's the way it should be!

I mean why are we comparing a nimble hot hatch to a family sized hot hatch!

Know what i'm saying?

The clio isn't exactly small!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's not a fiat 500 but it's not a family hatchback under any circumstances.

PS 200
You wont get 1 set in if you have a long driver :D.

Although we did once get three people and three sets of clubs (and two trolleys) into a Suzuki Jimny - was a bit of a squeeze :cool: