ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

frozen gearbox

Clio 172
Got in my car this morning, with temperature at -16 and the gearbox wad frozen, eventually got 1 2 & 3 working but not 4 or 5. Should this be happening? I know its bloody cold but is the freeze temp not lower than that?

Cheers

Clio 172
Yer could wiggle in neutral, 1st to 3rd were abit tough. But 5th I couldn't select it was like pushing at a brick wall

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Sounds like a RS gearbox normally is lol?

Nah mines been fine, but i change the oild quite often.

Clio 172
I'm assuming its to do with oil. Hasn't been like it before. I replaced it last month and think I put some bad stuff in. So gonna replace again soon

172 cup
never ever come accross this but if it did happen I wouldn't be driving it as I couldnt imagine it lasting long after being driven frozen up

CLIO 172 CUP....
emm, had snow here since wednesday so i never drove my car any were. so made sure it was started up ever day just to keep ever think moving and stoping stuff like this happing....

Clio 172
Hmm bit weird ay.would semi synthetic oil be more freeze prone than fully synth?

SimplyEd you from zsoc?

Inferno Orange 182
Hmm bit weird ay.would semi synthetic oil be more freeze prone than fully synth?

SimplyEd you from zsoc?

I would imaging there was little / nothing in it for freeze point. How long had you had the car running before you used the gears? If the oil had got "thicker" because of the low temperatures then just leaving the car to idle for 10 minutes should get the gearbox oil up to temperature.

I am indeed - thought I recognised your username!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I wouldn't worry, -16 is very low and probably below what the oil that is specced for the Uk is designed to be used in. Don't force it and as said before if you know its a very cold day, start her up and let it warm up for a while then take it easy on the car for the first part of the journey.

Also if you have put s**t oil in it might not deal with the cold temps as well, but thats just at a guess.

Clio 172
I would imaging there was little / nothing in it for freeze point. How long had you had the car running before you used the gears? If the oil had got "thicker" because of the low temperatures then just leaving the car to idle for 10 minutes should get the gearbox oil up to temperature.

I am indeed - thought I recognised your username!

I had it running for about 15 mins.

This is the oil I currently have in..... wrong/right oil?
www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60205-motul-motylgear-75w-80-gearbox-oil.aspx

What brings you to cs? You bought one?

Inferno Orange 182
  Clio 172
I'm going to stick with frozen linkage then. How cold was it?

That oil is ideal, so nothing wrong there.

I have indeed. Posted up on here and ZSOC about it, so I guess you've missed the news! Inferno Orange FF 182. Love it.

It was -16 so pretty fresh!

It was fine just on way home at -5.

Nice, ill have to look. Dont go on it that much now.

Inferno Orange 182
It was -16 so pretty fresh!

It was fine just on way home at -5.

Nice, ill have to look. Dont go on it that much now.

Haha, that would explain it then. Most normal gear oils will struggle at those sort of temps.

Do that. The welcome thread on here has more photos. Yeah, I'm beginning to go off it quite quickly!

Clio 172
Haha, that would explain it then. Most normal gear oils will struggle at those sort of temps.

Do that. The welcome thread on here has more photos. Yeah, I'm beginning to go off it quite quickly!

Just checked it out mate, looks quality!

Thanks for the help on the oils

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
It's just the linkage getting iced up is your car lowered? I'm having the same prob ESP if drive in were it's deep linkage gets well stuck