ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front tyres wearing fast, drivers side knocking when doing +70.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Alright chaps,
Clio's run fine for ages now, but lately its been abit crap.
I've been doing a fair bit of motorway driving this week, and i noticed that when i go above 70, something on my drivers side is knocking.
Personally i think it could be the driveshaft, but i wanted a few more opinions.
As such, i think that this is a deciding reason as to why my tread on the front tyres is wearing faster. Considering i've had 2 sets of front tyres in the time i've had the back ones.
There's no point having them tracked now, because i'll have to order some more by the end of the month, but they'll be done when the new ones are here.
My MPG is lower than usual too, but again i'm guessing that's down to the above problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks for help.

Gte the car tracked regardless of the tyres grip

Fronts always wear faster its a FWD car.

How much lower is the MPG it is winter after all.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Tyre usage seems normal to me, backs hardly get touched. Not sure on your knock tho.
3 pairs of fronts in under a year. :/
Gte the car tracked regardless of the tyres grip

Fronts always wear faster its a FWD car.

How much lower is the MPG it is winter after all.
Touché.
Normally around 45, but now its down to about 38. I fill it up with £35 once a week, but it just doesn't seem to last as long.
Track rod ends?
Hmm, maybe lad, it sounds like the noise is coming from something completing a revolution, which is what made me think driveshaft.
I knew you'd want a clio again btw!
Yep sorry track rod ends ball joint check for play
I'll have a look mate, thanks.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
3 sets in a year !?

How are they wearing ? Equally or on one edge only ? Both ends but not the middle (footprint). Middle only ?!

Does it drive in a straight line ok and does it corner OK !?

Normally around 45, but now its down to about 38. I fill it up with £35 once a week, but it just doesn't seem to last as long.
Stupid as that sounds but since I don't live in the Uk I don't know but has fueel gone up. My mate once complained about fuel economy being bad but was actually just sticking the same £ in every time and fuel prices had gone up.

45mpg thought wow you are careful driver.

Hmm, maybe lad, it sounds like the noise is coming from something completing a revolution, which is what made me think driveshaft.

Check the ABS tooth rings as well and driveshaft / driveshaft gaiters.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Stupid as that sounds but since I don't live in the Uk I don't know but has fueel gone up.
My mate once complained about fuel economy being bad but was actually just sticking the same £ in every time and fuel prices had gone up.

Fuel has doubled in the 10 years I've been driving...

Your mate sounds like a genius LMAO !

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
3 sets in a year !?
Yeah man, it drives in a straight line fine but theres a very slight pull to the right, and it corners fine.
They're wearing to one edge only. The outmost side.
Its primarily the drivers side though, but once that one is near enough bald the passenger won't be far behind.

45mpg thought wow you are careful driver.
Check the ABS tooth rings as well and driveshaft / driveshaft gaiters.
Well its only a 1.2 afterall... As much as i've love a 182, i'm stuck with this money pit for now.
And, i'll have a look when i get a bit of time this week. I've ordered a new driveshaft anyway, cause i changed the passenger side one not too long ago, so im thinking if that one was b****cks'ed maybe this won't be far behind...

I'm guessing you've checked the pressures?
As much of a novice as i am, i have checked them! and they're what they should be. ;)
knocking sound.... bearing?
I've replaced the bearing lad. Cheers though.

3sets of fronts in a year is that it? Iv went through roughly 5 I think lol
You probably drive your car at 90mph everywhere and your tyres get some love. Whereas my tyres get ground down where my car is probably sat one side higher than the other.