ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fractured coil spring

Clio 172
My 172 has just failed it's MOT (test station does not carryout repairs) with a front coil spring fracture. Is this easy to fix yourself or would you recommend sticking it in a garage to be repaired?

If you have some mechanical knowledge it's very easy to do it yourself. Literally one bolt to undo. You undo the bottom bolt of the shock, and drop the arm, and the coil is very easy to fall out.

Usually recommended to replace both coils though, not just one.

BMW M135i
If you have some mechanical knowledge it's very easy to do it yourself. Literally one bolt to undo. You undo the bottom bolt of the shock, and drop the arm, and the coil is very easy to fall out.

Usually recommended to replace both coils though, not just one.
Not on the front you don't. Fairly easy but does require a few specific tools (mainly spring compressors and I don't care what anyone says you should use them) and a bit of prior mechanical knowhow so unless you've done it before i'd get it done at a garage. Unless anyone in the local area can do it for you, i'd sort you out but you're a bit far away.

Emma if you want the contact details for the Renault mechanic i use. Send me a pm, he has helped out many Bristol/local members and his rates are very reasonable.

Justin.

172 Race Car
As Justin says get it done by the local chap he uses. Hes a member on here also. Ive got a low mileage set of used springs if you need them

182 FF Inferno
Do not buy genuine front spring. My 182 failed with same thing, but as I needed the MOT, I had to stump up something like £120!!