ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Found out why the knocking sound started...

PB 172 phase 2
I bought a set of 25mm delta mics a week ago and they have managed to undo themselves while driving... They were only hanging on by a couple of thread turns? I thought the knocking was the exhaust hangars perished but no my wheel was falling off. A friend reckons I should take them off for safety reasons but I tightened them once more and will keep an eye on them this week. If they come loose again, they will be coming off.

I also noticed globs of grease underneath the front shock, Is it leaking or f**ked?

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
If the bolts are coming loose, then check the hubsize. The wheel should be flush with the surface. Also tighten bolts with the correct torque (120Nm)

PH2 172
I bought a set of 25mm delta mics a week ago and they have managed to undo themselves while driving... They were only hanging on by a couple of thread turns? I thought the knocking was the exhaust hangars perished but no my wheel was falling off. A friend reckons I should take them off for safety reasons but I tightened them once more and will keep an eye on them this week. If they come loose again, they will be coming off.

I also noticed globs of grease underneath the front shock, Is it leaking or f**ked?
The grub screws that come with Brembo discs sit proud of the disc and stop spacers seating.
Grease,split CV boot +1.

PB 172 phase 2
Two people have now said it's a split cv - is this an easy enough to do myself or does it have to go in the garage?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Two people have now said it's a split cv - is this an easy enough to do myself or does it have to go in the garage?
99% of the time its the round clip that secures the rubber cv boot that has failed. Be careful with replacing it with a jubilee clip as the screw head on it can foul on the hub. Its best to buy the correct clip and special pliers to put them on with.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Have a look first to really make sure the cv boot has split.

PH2 172

Personally,I `d master the art of gettting the wheels to stay on before attempting to change a CV gaitor.
Use some red Loctite 243 on the 4 bolts holding your spacer onto the hub,after checking the 2 grubscrews locating the disc are not standing proud.
The chances of a 12 year old Clio having the original discs seems pretty slim,and the Brembo High Carbon ones are the disc of choice for most people on CS.
Which side is this grease anyway?

PB 172 phase 2
Personally,I `d master the art of gettting the wheels to stay on before attempting to change a CV gaitor.
Use some red Loctite 243 on the 4 bolts holding your spacer onto the hub,after checking the 2 grubscrews locating the disc are not standing proud.
The chances of a 12 year old Clio having the original discs seems pretty slim,and the Brembo High Carbon ones are the disc of choice for most people on CS.
Which side is this grease anyway?
Thanks for the info and I guess I deserve the sarcasm for being a noob. I found the globs of grease on the drivers side. This 172 has stock brakes and discs, previous owners kept it stock? I found a glob under the driveshaft sitting on the wishbone.

PH2 172
Thanks for the info and I guess I deserve the sarcasm for being a noob. I found the globs of grease on the drivers side. This 172 has stock brakes and discs, previous owners kept it stock? I found a glob under the driveshaft sitting on the wishbone.
Brembo could have been the supplier for oe 280mm discs OE/stock/factory fit for all I know.
Not an upgrade,just a straight replacement.
All in about £70 for 2 discs & pads to match.
If the grease is not a 360 degree splatter,just keep an eye on it.