ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing the rain for my parents...

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
So my parents are selling their Volvo C70 2.0D with all the trimmings...

14052158570_7a7f191208_c.jpg
DSC_2691 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

I've been on at them for a while to let me loose on it and get it cleaned up, so they called me last week to see about me selling it for them so they don't have to deal with loads of plebs, and also to ask me to come and clean it up for them. A quick order to i4d for a few bits, and a free day, and today I went round there to have a blast at it.
Above is how she started, I've not taken many pictures during the process, but it went this way::

Wonder wheels standard for the wheels, nicely cleaned up as most of them are in pretty good nick anyway.
Wash with B2BM, 2 bucket, no snow foam as no pressure washer as yet.
Iron x
Meggs clay bar. This is did take a picture of!! The clay was coming up so dirty that I needed to change the bar half way through!!!

14052114979_9de83d3045_c.jpg
DSC_2697 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

I probably should have changed it before this stage, but I was so sure it would be alright... Massive difference this made to the feel of the paintwork let alone anything else!!

Then some tar remover. I did it in this order as the tar remover is a carlac one that adds UV protection or some such bs and some plastic layer to the paintwork, again or some such bs...

Next was a nice layer of Poorboys Black Hole. This was done by hand, as I haven't got a machine as yet either, and strangely enjoy doing these things by hand anyway. The PBBH seemed to go on quite well, a little bit of elbow grease in a few patches to bring it up how I wanted, but overall a nice product to use by hand.

Then on to a sample of Temptation I bought off here a while ago.

I'm quite happy with the overall result from this whole combination for a hand worked job. I think the wet look the Temptation has given is very nice, and it's brought some depth to the colour... I've taken a few pictures through the whole thing, which can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYmKiUp but the outcome looks a little like this:

14052102088_897cd382d2_c.jpg
DSC_2713 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

14238467124_837bb6fa4e_c.jpg
DSC_2720 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

14052101539_3e967c7971_c.jpg
DSC_2723 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

14215597056_80cd28c612_c.jpg
DSC_2725 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

14052097909_4b8ba90310_c.jpg
DSC_2735 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

And then the inevitable happened, is been racing the rain all day anyway and knew it was coming, but wanted to get it cleaned and sorted before the rain came, even though it was coming!! Beading was very nice!!

14215583996_fa9f736870_c.jpg
DSC_2744 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

14258911123_2f5fab59cb_c.jpg
DSC_2745 by chrisghinn, on Flickr

I apologise if the pictures don't work first time around, I've only just opened my Flickr account and am still to learn to use it. (They didn't but they are now after a bit of playing around.

Thoughts and feedback welcomed as always.

The one thing I will say is that I did add some tyre dressing after these pics were taken and I should have added some dressing to the wheels themselves but time was not on my side...

Last edited:
  S4 Avant
Pressure washer is your next purchase. A proper snow foam and pressure wash first does wonders for limiting swirls.

Also helps getting those arches clean ;)

Please PLEASE send me the description of the tar remover that adds protection? Car looks good, fella, but what a crock of s**t if that's truly what CarLac have stated.

IronX-TarRemover-Clay. Otherwise you are dragging what you've stated is dirt (it's tar) all over the paint and causing more swirls.

Not having a go at you fella, as hope you can understand. You've just clearly been very misled by someone/a product which is very frustrating.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
That is a wonder product... Can bin off loads of my bits and just replace with that.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
AF Tripple can lift very mild tar spotting, I guess in the same sense that the cleaners in this can, but it's far from being a tar remover!

Get yourself a proper tar remover to use before claying, even autoglym intensive tar remover will perform better than going straight to clay and then carlack stuff.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!

No mate, not this. I'll take a pic later and post it up. Like I said though, I didn't believe it either.

I understand what you mean about the clay, all feedback is good feedback, I'm only going to learn one way...

I need some advice about the iron x paste while I think about it. I guess its a case of applying it with an applicator sponge and letting it work for a few minutes before washing/rinsing off?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The gel apply direct to the spot you need it to work. It's more of an intensive remover than the general gel when working on small sections. For general iron removal look at the sprays

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nice effort there dude but seriosuly always tar remover before clay!

Forget et these wonder all in one products, they are on most part absolute dogshit!

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
The gel apply direct to the spot you need it to work. It's more of an intensive remover than the general gel when working on small sections. For general iron removal look at the sprays

Excellent will do.
The help I've seen recommended for stubborn wheels which makes sense now.

AF Tripple can lift very mild tar spotting, I guess in the same sense that the cleaners in this can, but it's far from being a tar remover!

Get yourself a proper tar remover to use before claying, even autoglym intensive tar remover will perform better than going straight to clay and then carlack stuff.

Agreed, but that's through a polishing action, not a chemical breakdown, which is what this product appears to be purporting to do.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Oh my f**king god!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got a message from the old man::

"...oops!! Just got diesel down the bodywork when filling up."

I spend how long tidying up the outside of their car and making it that deep/clear... And then he pisses durv over it because he was "Not being clever with the spout when taking it out."

f**k it!! No point trying to make it tidy for them if they're not going to even try and help it along!! It's already getting good response on the bay, don't need the b****cks of durv down nice fresh wax!!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A quick wash and it'll be fine, maybe need a re wax locally to that panel and job done

JD it wasn't removing the tar through abrasion, rejuvenate certainly doesn't do it like tripple

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Yea, was planning this tomorrow, depending on how my day pans out that is...

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Is no one going to mention the lack of tyre shine? :rasp:... It looks like you've done a good job though :)

Edit: ignore me! - just read your last comment again :eek:

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Is no one going to mention the lack of tyre shine? :rasp:... It looks like you've done a good job though :)

Not sure if I put it in my original post but I took all the pictures before Hegel tyre shine, I did put some on though!!

Thanks for the comments. Between the feedback of varying angels there has been some good overall feedback, I can see how and where I need to change the order I do things, and next time I do one (Z4 in a few weeks) I will be making sure I change the order and buy some more bottles of "nice" to strip it all back and then build back up again...