ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

focus rs or trophy?

A SHED!
im debating buying a clio trophy but recently ive seen a focus rs mk1 for abit more money with 75k on the clock.....i was just wondering how reliable is the focus rs engine/turbo etc with that sortve mileage? if its been looked after. I think the focus wouldnt lose to much money either compared to the trophy?

A SHED!
ive had a 172 cup and driven a trophy, never driven a rs before? how reliable is the rs 70k+? miles?

A SHED!
think ill go and try one....what sortve things should look out for on these? parts prone to failure? my last ford was an xr2i.....8 yrs ago....god im old

Clio 172 cup
trophys are nice!!!
but a good looked after 172 cup with low milage and FSH would be better, thats what i went for.
They hold its price better
there faster and lighter aswel
and would be cheaper to purchase than both others leaving you with money inyour pocket for extra spends :)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
trophys are nice!!!
but a good looked after 172 cup with low milage and FSH would be better, thats what i went for.
They hold its price better
I respectfully disagree. Its almost unheard of to see a trophy under £5k, and I reckon I could sell mine for the price I bought it for 9k miles later...
Cups go for £4k all the time..

Back on topic, they are both pretty rare and exclusive, but quite different cars. Trophy will definitely be cheaper to run and in standard form just as fast in most situations. I guess it comes down to budget and needs..

Clio 172 cup
i was thinking price wise saving as in between a trophy, focus RS, or 172cup
i chose the 172 cup with 45000 miles over the trophy with 38,000miles and kept me 2200 quid in my pocket.
your right a good condition looked after 172 cup with 50000 miles should go for about £4000-4500 but a trophy aint as quick as a 172 cup, .2 seconds slower to 60 to be exact but it has 10bhp more which proves its alot heavier.
A trophy will go for about £6000-6500 anything more is over priced
now for the extra money you would pay for a pay a focus RS id have a 172 cup, or a civic type R
just my opinion, scrap the focus RS idea and join us Clio RS fans!! :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Bro had a focus rs and I enjoyed it a lot. Not a patch on the trophy as a drivers car IMO but for something to do day to day stuff in the focus would be a better car. If you want to buy a car and keep it standard it would be a very very hard choice for me.

Money wise you will get a much better example of a trophy compared to the type of mileage/condition FRS

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
i was thinking price wise saving as in between a trophy, focus RS, or 172cup
i chose the 172 cup with 45000 miles over the trophy with 38,000miles and kept me 2200 quid in my pocket.
your right a good condition looked after 172 cup with 50000 miles should go for about £4000-4500 but a trophy aint as quick as a 172 cup, .2 seconds slower to 60 to be exact but it has 10bhp more which proves its alot heavier.
A trophy will go for about £6000-6500 anything more is over priced
now for the extra money you would pay for a pay a focus RS id have a 172 cup, or a civic type R
just my opinion, scrap the focus RS idea and join us Clio RS fans!! :)
Ahh i getcha.
I agree cups are the fastest.. but just thought I should mention when EVO tested the trophy they managed 0-60 in 6.6s ;)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
but a trophy aint as quick as a 172 cup, .2 seconds slower to 60 to be exact but it has 10bhp more which proves its alot heavier.

Lol I bet you can really feel the .2 seconds? You really need to drive them both. I drove a 172 cup back to back with the trophy and even though the cup had 30k on and my trophy has 70k you could immediately tell the difference. Better seating position, better power delivery and the handling was miles apart in terms of stability etc.

If you're on a budget buy a cup, if you want something rare and a genuinely great car from the factory, the trophy is the one to go for

Clio 172 cup
Ahh i getcha.
I agree cups are the fastest.. but just thought I should mention when EVO tested the trophy they managed 0-60 in 6.6s ;)

haha im guessing you own a trophy then :)
A trophy has mint seats ill give you that, im after some cheap buckets for the 172cup and i love the fact it only comes in red, like 172cup only comes in blue and silver.

to clear this up and back to the point id buy a 172cup or a trophy over a focus RS :approve: lol
or with the money what about a 197 F1 team?? (but add the cup spoiler lol)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'd get the Focus. Thing with the Focus's is they cost alot more to run. Petrol, tyres, brake pads, wheels etc, all adds up. Of course the FRS has alot more tuning potential too.

Clio 172 cup
Lol I bet you can really feel the .2 seconds? You really need to drive them both. I drove a 172 cup back to back with the trophy and even though the cup had 30k on and my trophy has 70k you could immediately tell the difference. Better seating position, better power delivery and the handling was miles apart in terms of stability etc.

If you're on a budget buy a cup, if you want something rare and a genuinely great car from the factory, the trophy is the one to go for

I love the trophys, i love the cups, iv been in a trophy and the recaro seats are defo built to give a better driving position but power delevery i couldnt tell no difference and the trophys alot heavier than the cup.
A good looked after low milage 172 cup with FSH is hard to find these days (i have one lol)
i wanted renault to make the the 182 to be way quicker than 172,
the 197 better than the 182
200 quicker than the 197 but they havnt the always add more weight so have to add more power. they need to put the 200engine in a car weighing as much or less as the 172 cup lol

A SHED!
Bro had a focus rs and I enjoyed it a lot. Not a patch on the trophy as a drivers car IMO but for something to do day to day stuff in the focus would be a better car. If you want to buy a car and keep it standard it would be a very very hard choice for me.

Money wise you will get a much better example of a trophy compared to the type of mileage/condition FRS

so the trophy is a better driver's car?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
so the trophy is a better driver's car?
For the way I drive the Trophy is brilliant, hard to really use it these days as it was meant to be, but when that oportunity comes up it suprises you as a driver as of its true capabilities.

I personally didnt believe all the hype with trophy's when I had my ph1 172, but now owning one its not just the fact it handles brilliant, has good seats and nice wheels. But they're also quite rare and exclusive and made in one of the best colours for 1*2's

Iceberg 172
A few mates have mk1 FRS's and they all say once you start modifying them they become unreliable and are stupidly expensive to repair. Cost a lot to run.

In other words if it's STD, or has just a remap, it should be fine!

I'm not a lover of the Trophy... I respect it for what it is but it's not a perfect car out the box for me so the things I'd want to change are what makes the trophy what it is! Ie leather rear bench and lowered suspension.

Where as I think the focus is a bit better in STD form, LSD...

Tough call. If you can afford to buy and run both then drive both and then make up your own mind!

Iceberg 172
For the way I drive the Trophy is brilliant, hard to really use it these days as it was meant to be, but when that oportunity comes up it suprises you as a driver as of its true capabilities.

I personally didnt believe all the hype with trophy's when I had my ph1 172, but now owning one its not just the fact it handles brilliant, has good seats and nice wheels. But they're also quite rare and exclusive and made in one of the best colours for 1*2's

It amazes me how the Trophy is seen so highly! Yes it's better out of the box than other 1*2's but £1500 of mods (coilovers and recaros) to a 172 surely would make it an even better drivers car!?

Stripped yozza'd cup
Ahh i getcha.

Did they not do it quicker in the cup? I'm sure I've read a 0-60 of 6.3 somewhere....

Stagecoach Ticket
Get a trophey mate

Best mate a mrk 1 RS lovely car but as above any repairs were mental money even little shitty parts to tidy it up were epic stacks of money

Tuning wise anything worth doing was very very expensive

Focus RS club/scene aswell is stupidally anal even worse than this club

was hard to sell aswell even if it did hold its money well

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Drive more than one Focus RS, they vary massivley in driver experience, apparently.

They dont make the 2.0 Turbo Duratec engine anymore, that said, if its a standard example with no fettling it should last with religious servicing. As said, the Focus will cost more to run/insure etc but they are different cars. There are no known common issues with the FRS, they are generally reliable.

If it were me id get the Focus only because ive had two 1*2's already, also they seem to hold strong residuals.

Evo 5 RS
Tough one to call. FRS too, for the same reasons Dan^ says. You'll probably have more fun in the Trophy though..

Also at least with the Trophy you won't have to go out and buy a coolant gauge. Fairly standard on 99% of cars these days iirc :dapprove:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
It amazes me how the Trophy is seen so highly! Yes it's better out of the box than other 1*2's but £1500 of mods (coilovers and recaros) to a 172 surely would make it an even better drivers car!?
For the road I think the trophy is better than a 1*2 on coilovers. I dont particularly like the high look of the trophy, infact it boils my p!ss, I can't decide whether I will ever get a coilover set up to sit low but still handle aswell as the trophy and for affordable money. I.E not over £1k and doesnt need servicing every year.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I don't think they are a million miles apart. Certainly not on running costs or maintenance...The focus is a big bigger and probably slightly better made, but both will be equally good on track...Fairly similarish performance wise...

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
For the road I think the trophy is better than a 1*2 on coilovers. I dont particularly like the high look of the trophy, infact it boils my p!ss, I can't decide whether I will ever get a coilover set up to sit low but still handle aswell as the trophy and for affordable money. I.E not over £1k and doesnt need servicing every year.

you tried the Bilstein B14's? I've fitted them to a few of my cars in the past and been more than happy with the results.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I think if you're looking at purchasing a trophy and not looking to spend anymore than £7k you could get something like:

40-50k miles
FSH
Cambelt and aux belts done
Sach's refurbed
Probably have a stainless steel exhaust
Good condition

Similar money for FRS:

75-90k miles
probably in a lot worse condition than a similar priced trophy
Rusting (my bro's started on rear arch :(
Worn interior
Worn turbo (possibly)

My bro replaced the turbo on his when he bought it, his only had 35k miles but had slight play and was smoking slightly
The paint of his was in horrible condition, however rescue'd it with plenty of TLC