ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Floorstanding Speakers

Polo + Micra
i'm looking to get a set of these as i'm looking for a little more than the speakers i've got at the moment.

looking for what others have got/had (makes, driver setup etc)

not looking to spend too much on them so no silly priced speakers :rasp:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Budget would be helpful ;-)

Richersounds .. the only place to go.

I've just bought a pair of KEF IQ5Es

Twice as much as I'd pretended to budget for but BOY are they good.

Polo + Micra
yeah those kef speakers are roughly what i'm looking for

what is the power output of the amp you have got driving them?

Cupra
I have a Mordaunt Short speaker set aimed at the home cinema market. The sound is incredible compared to my old Harmon Kardon cinema set.
They are old now so are not made any more, but have taken some abuse over the years and are still going strong.

MSTHX500MA.JPG

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
yeah those kef speakers are roughly what i'm looking for

what is the power output of the amp you have got driving them?

This one, from RS too ... says 100w x 7ch but I've got them bi-wired.. so I'm assuming it's 100 x 2 going into each unit. No other speakers attached yet.

Wanted an AV amp as Sky / Blu-Ray / XBox all go through it and there are no phono's involved anywhere. All HDMI inputs, and one out to the TV.

Polo + Micra
yeah i've got a set of MS 902i speakers at the moment but would like a little more punch

do like the look of the MS Mezzo 6 speakers but not sure whether or not to go to a different make

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Richersounds? lol! All they sell is what others recommend regardless of if it's good or not - and I'm afraid Mordaunt Short haven't made a decent speaker since they were bought out.

1 - New or used? you can get some magnificent speakers secondhand
2 - Music based or home cinema or both?
3 - What source and amplification are you using?
4 - Size and shape of room?
5 - Types of music you will be listening to?

I'm very into home audio and wish I had the money to even delve into some of the amazing stuff out there.

Polo + Micra
1. new
2. 2.0 or 2.1 setup for both tv and music use
3. multiple types of sources.
4. it's a rectangle maybe 9 by 12
5. all types of music

Amarok
Budget of around £350.
Used mainly for music but will be hooking up blu ray to the amp also

Ive been told my best bet is too go for the Onkyo 508 and the Tannoy F1 bookshelf speakers as a good start

Would anyone reccomend anything else?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd suggest going into shops and listening to something middle of your range first to see if it doesn't meet or exceeds your needs.