ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fletch's 150k 172 Project..

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Update:

Today I finnally got around to fitting my passenger Recaro SPG seat... Please excuse the dirty seals etc she needs a good wash

25606214250_5d53e8588a_c.jpg
Untitled by Fletcher Cox, on Flickr

25786019702_fa07c76296_c.jpg

IIRC it last had a passenger seat in 2011, so it will be nice to take people out in the fletchbus again (as long as they can fit in the seat :wink: )

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Today I replaced by silvervisons with the OEM indicator bulbs and went out for a 70 mile drive on my favourite B roads. The engine etc is running very well, I need to fit new spark plugs, radiator and give it a good polish ready for the summer. Hopefully get this year's first 'ring trip booked up (for early May) soon too :smile:

Also planning on what to do next with the car, I really would like a set of AST's to replace my H&R coilovers, but having to deal with Curtis if something needs replacing/ breaks puts me off them if I am totally honest.

I would also like to add a bit more power. I was pretty sure I was going to go down the RS2 route, but am now thinking of a set of ITBs either that or leave the engine standard and continue on saving and buy a Megane 250 cup to make into fast road, 'ring/ track car.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Get AST's through J-Tech like @Cub. or we could steal them while he's busy doing baby stuff 😂

I think if you could get 190bhp plus from an RS2 the Fletchbus would seriously punch above it's weight. Especially with your "committed" driving :tonguewink:

53 Clio's & counting
The RS2 is hopefully nearly there! lol. Would suit it very well.

Also I can get BC coilovers if that helps mate, they are very good!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Fletchbus is epic.

There'll be no stealing of my ASTs, but if you need some then I'd recommend the j-tech route. If you ring them ask for Jamie, and say you know me and he'll sort you out.

He's one of their approved distributors, so deals with Curtis and the factory etc. I had mine fitted to the car 3 weeks from ordering them.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Get AST's through J-Tech like @Cub. or we could steal them while he's busy doing baby stuff 😂

I think if you could get 190bhp plus from an RS2 the Fletchbus would seriously punch above it's weight. Especially with your "committed" driving :tonguewink:

TBH I would be very happy with around 190bhp and a bit more weight loss :)

The RS2 is hopefully nearly there! lol. Would suit it very well.

Also I can get BC coilovers if that helps mate, they are very good!

Cheers Russ, hopefully catch up with you at the Castle Combe action day.

Fletchbus is epic.

There'll be no stealing of my ASTs, but if you need some then I'd recommend the j-tech route. If you ring them ask for Jamie, and say you know me and he'll sort you out.

He's one of their approved distributors, so deals with Curtis and the factory etc. I had mine fitted to the car 3 weeks from ordering them.

As per text, cheers Oli :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Quick Update:

Nurburgring trip booked for April 22nd -25 :tongueout:

So I have had to address a few issues with the car! The radiator is fine, but it's never been changed and starting to 'bulge' and the fins look a mess, not the best for a thousand + miles across Europe. I have replaced it with a Direnza radiator, spark plugs are overdue a change too, so I have replacement NGK OEM plugs. I have also bought a set of Magnecor 8.5mm ignition leads and OEM coil pack.

26306079186_cbc73e4ee6_z.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Quick Update:

Nurburgring trip booked for April 22nd -25 :tongueout:

So I have had to address a few issues with the car! The radiator is fine, but it's never been changed and starting to 'bulge' and the fins look a mess, not the best for a thousand + miles across Europe. I have replaced it with a Direnza radiator, spark plugs are overdue a change too, so I have replacement NGK OEM plugs. I have also bought a set of Magnecor 8.5mm ignition leads and OEM coil pack.

26306079186_cbc73e4ee6_z.jpg
Nothing wrong with a bit of preventative maintenance mate!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Update:

Chris and Tim came over to mine to 'help' me fit my new radiator, spark plugs, coil pack and magnecor leads.

I also had my wheel alignment sorted at the wheel alignment centre Southampton, and changed the wheels over to my antracite 2118's/R888. I checked the tyre pressures and all fluids - the car is now ready for the 'Ring trip.

Nurburgring Trip.

Car felt great on the way over, and I managed a 8:50 BTG on my second lap (I'll sort my vids out soon) during the Friday evening TF session. The LSD/ sticky rubber felt great (the first time I have used both on track) so I was looking forward to doing more laps on Saturday. Sat morning I woke to snow and freezing temps, not great for 'quick' ring laps :( on my second lap of the day the car started misfiring on load/ at 6k, strange as it was fine for on the first lap, I gave it a rest and did a couple more laps and it did it again on the second lap so it's definitely only occurs when very hot.... any ideas guys?

The weather was crap on Sunday, and with my misfire issue I decided not to do my remaining 3 laps.

This may well be my last trip in the 172 under it's own steam. I'm looking to either sort a trailer and tow it, or get a Megane 250 cup :)

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you get the radiator from bud?

It looks decent, and much like your's was. My original radiator has certainly seen better days!

Does the cooling fan bolt up the same?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you get the radiator from bud?

It looks decent, and much like your's was. My original radiator has certainly seen better days!

Does the cooling fan bolt up the same?

I got the rad direct from direnza mate, but IIRC kam racing also sell them.

My fan is currently held on with zip ties, you also need to fabricate brackets to hold the rad in place, so it's far from a easy swap :(

Update:

Chris and Tim came over to mine to 'help' me fit my new radiator, spark plugs, coil pack and magnecor leads.

I also had my wheel alignment sorted at the wheel alignment centre Southampton, and changed the wheels over to my antracite 2118's/R888. I checked the tyre pressures and all fluids - the car is now ready for the 'Ring trip.

Nurburgring Trip.

Car felt great on the way over, and I managed a 8:50 BTG on my second lap (I'll sort my vids out soon) during the Friday evening TF session. The LSD/ sticky rubber felt great (the first time I have used both on track) so I was looking forward to doing more laps on Saturday. Sat morning I woke to snow and freezing temps, not great for 'quick' ring laps 😧 on my second lap of the day the car started misfiring on load/ at 6k, strange as it was fine for on the first lap, I gave it a rest and did a couple more laps and it did it again on the second lap so it's definitely only occurs when very hot.... any ideas guys?

The weather was crap on Sunday, and with my misfire issue I decided not to do my remaining 3 laps.
Magnecor is Spanish for misfire these are the best quality/most reliable http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172182-lead-set/
This may well be my last trip in the 172 under it's own steam. I'm looking to either sort a trailer and tow it, or get a Megane 250 cup :)
Update:

Nurburgring Trip.

Car felt great on the way over, and I managed a 8:50 BTG on my second lap (I'll sort my vids out soon) during the Friday evening TF session. The LSD/ sticky rubber felt great (the first time I have used both on track) so I was looking forward to doing more laps on Saturday. Sat morning I woke to snow and freezing temps, not great for 'quick' ring laps 😧 on my second lap of the day the car started misfiring on load/ at 6k, strange as it was fine for on the first lap, I gave it a rest and did a couple more laps and it did it again on the second lap so it's definitely only occurs when very hot.... any ideas guys?

Magnecor is Spanish for misfire these are the best quality/most reliable http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-172182-lead-set/

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Lol.

I think I will swap the leads/ coilpack over to my old set of OEM Renault leads coilpack and see how she runs. The trouble is I can't seem to make it misfire at 6k during normal driving condtions, it only did it when hot on the second lap of the ring.
How much fuel did you have in the tank mate? And whereabouts on the lap did it misfire?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Noticeable misfire/s were after Bergwerk up the back straight, and after Klostertal up to the Karussell. IIRC I between quarter and half a tank of fuel mate.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Noticeable misfire/s were after Bergwerk up the back straight, and after Klostertal up to the Karussell. IIRC I between quarter and half a tank of fuel mate.
Has it ever had new injectors mate?

That's all full load flat out as well from there. Oh and you turned in too early at bergwerk. Lol! Just reminded me!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Has it ever had new injectors mate?

That's all full load flat out as well from there. Oh and you turned in too early at bergwerk. Lol! Just reminded me!

No I've never changed the injectors Mark, the car is now on just under 155k so I was planning on changing them soon anyway.

The lap that Chris uploaded? Yes I did turn in too early, that wasn't a great lap TBF.