ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flame Red 172 Daily run around.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Im back in clio!

So i managed to pick this Flame red 172 for a bargain of £200. Unfortunately no receipt of cambelt change unfortunately, But speaking to previous owners it has been replaced at some point. Clutch release bearing is also on its way out & its generally a bit tatty.
Plans are - Cambelt, Dephaser water pump etc, New clutch kit, General tidy up of little things, Cup spoiler, Spring/coilovers & Silver Turini's eventually.
Ill also be getting rid of the horrid induction kit which makes me sound like a 18 year old in a 1.2 fiesta.

I wont be going to mad with the car as it only cost me £200 so dont want to spend the earth on it & ill just be using it as a daily to save myself some costs instead of running my BMW every day!

anyway, Some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 166
  172 Flamer, BMW E46
Can't grumble for £200. Will look good after a few quid.

Yeah that was my thoughts, Ive been driving it to work for the passed few weeks & all okay so far, It needs 4x new shocks & Probably some new bushes as all feels a little loose when driving!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I recently put cup shocks on mine all round, £34(ish) each iirc from Renault parts direct. Made a huge difference.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheap as chips . The car looks in good nick :smiley: . Why only £200 ?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
f**king bargin. Throw some new shocks on with Cooksport springs and get the belts done and that will be a belter

Rich2509

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo XC90 & RS172
Bloody cheap that pal, bargain!!! I thought mine was cheap at £600. Use mine as my runaround too, ace little cars.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Yeah I'm glad I brought it, what's even better is when I brought it it had Cooksport springs on, I sold them as I needed some Money & I had some cup springs in my garage. So sold the cook sports for £140. So the car only owes me £60!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Yeah its getting there.
Will be pulling the engine out soon to do belt & Clutch and a general tidy up.

Im thinking of keeping it oem+ Standard 172 wheels, Spacers & coilovers and leaving it at that.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah its getting there.
Will be pulling the engine out soon to do belt & Clutch and a general tidy up.

Im thinking of keeping it oem+ Standard 172 wheels, Spacers & coilovers and leaving it at that.

If I had a pound for everytime Ive heard that :p

Bargain mate.

330i. E30 Touring.
I wouldn't even bother doing the cambelt etc at that money. Run it 'til it goes bang. Stick it on ebay broken, will make £400. Everyone's a winner!

172 Flamer, BMW E46
I wouldn't even bother doing the cambelt etc at that money. Run it 'til it goes bang. Stick it on ebay broken, will make £400. Everyone's a winner!

Yeah I did think about it, but I'm using the car for work so don't really want it to go bang. I used to work for Renault as a tech so labour won't be costing me anything so it's just the parts cost which isn't too bad.

Once that's done I'll probably do a couple of track sessions in it also if I can.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Thats what i thought lol.
Need to take the front bumper off at some point at doesn't look like a lot is holding it on!! + Both front arch liners are missing so need to source those too.

330i. E30 Touring.
Nah, arch liners in a Clio are pointless. Same as bumper fixings, lol.

I never refit liners to my own cars (hence having a few sets in the shed, lol). And the side clips along with the underneath 10mm bolts are all i re-fit.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Nah, arch liners in a Clio are pointless. Same as bumper fixings, lol.

I never refit liners to my own cars (hence having a few sets in the shed, lol). And the side clips along with the underneath 10mm bolts are all i re-fit.

I was thinking of doing the same, However i have a strange suspicion that the 10mm bolt on each side is snapped off!

330i. E30 Touring.
I was thinking of doing the same, However i have a strange suspicion that the 10mm bolt on each side is snapped off!

Happens all the time on them TBH. No big deal.

I just use the 10mm bolts to the subframe under at the front.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Good buy! That said, i'd put money on that having a front end collision, xenons are missing!

No collisions here, I brought it from a friend so know the car very well, One of the Xenon's failed & they were very tatty. So was cheaper to just buy 2 new Halogen lights.. Ive even got the receipt for them :)

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Looking at pics, I think the plastic bumper piece that bolts it to the subframe is also missing... Any idea where i can source one?

172 Flamer, BMW E46
So, Near future plans are -
Clutch + box oil change
Cambelt, Dephaser, Waterpump, Aux belt
2x New front cup shocks
2x new style top mounts
Engine oil and filter change
Get the wheel alignment done
Fix heater blower intermittently stop working!!
Find & Fit 2x front wheel arch liners that are missing

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Few things off the list today -

Fitted standard airbox back in so I don't feel like a 17 year old driving around.

Removed front bumper and cleaned up everything behind. Removed headlight washers & fixed side mountings for bumper.

Removed risers under drivers seat.

Fitted new centre exhaust mount. Realised my Cat & rear box are both rattling!!

cc9630ebe9782d8015d471a06fdfbc32.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
lol @ running it until it goes bang. Not the best advice in any way shape or form.

Car looks fantastic, nice one.

Why not? No chance am i going to spend £500 on my Ph1 shed that's worth £7-800. I'll run it until it goes bang, then stick a £250 second hand engine in. It's currently 18 months overdue on it's cambelt, and going strong. (;

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Why not? No chance am i going to spend £500 on my Ph1 shed that's worth £7-800. I'll run it until it goes bang, then stick a £250 second hand engine in. It's currently 18 months overdue on it's cambelt, and going strong. (;
I'm just seeing it from a safety perspective, if it goes bang whilst on a busy motorway, pulling out of a junction you're putting yourself and others at risk - absolutely dread to think of driving around in a ticking time bomb (obviously it doesn't go boom) whilst carrying my little nephew around. I'd just do things properly first time though, must be how an engineer thinks :)

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
I agree with Dan

Why have the car "18 months over due for a cambelt" when you'd probably rather keep that car for a long while and not have to take it off the road to put a new engine it / find a new car after it's been smashed into due to the belt snapping .. Pretty silly in my eyes but

330i. E30 Touring.
I agree with Dan

Why have the car "18 months over due for a cambelt" when you'd probably rather keep that car for a long while and not have to take it off the road to put a new engine it / find a new car after it's been smashed into due to the belt snapping .. Pretty silly in my eyes but

I don't mind if it goes bang or not. I have other cars to use.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Might be selling this in the next few months unfortunately. Just ordered a new car & haven't got room to keep this as well :(