ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fixing rust in the Petrol Filler

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
So after seeing a post on Facebook some poor guy opened up his filler flap it it came off of the car because the metal had rotted away i decided to check mine. Found some slight bubbling near the top most bolt on the flap.

32975535232_3d07f95a8e_z.jpg

With wanting to keep the PB as mint as possible i decided to treat it now before it gets any worse. Id advise people check at least this and also inside the wheel well. If you can and have the tools id really say take the black plastic surround off and check behind there also, as what you can see above is just the start of it !

32975531872_83daa6271e_z.jpg

As you can see with the plastic surround off there is bubbles all round it. Its a case of x2 T25 screws and drilling out 3 rivets. So with it all exposed i masked off the bits i could then started rubbing the paint down. Managed to get most of the rust back to bare metal. The really stubborn stuff i treated with a Hammerite rust treatment kit. Comes with inhibiter gel and Primer.

32316674303_0cfddb0f30_z.jpg

32286830594_226b79c404_z.jpg

33090457846_c3151b1eeb_z.jpg

As you can see once the paint had been rubbed back the rust looked a bit worse. As i said most of it i got back to bare metal. Once id applied the gel a few times the tiny rust spots turned Black. Hard to see in this following picture.

33090456546_df1d4240ee_z.jpg

Once that was cleaned up i applied the first of 2 coats of the Rust Primer, to all surfaces inside and outside of the body work.

32975525522_ba9156696a_z.jpg

32316664043_19f0247b93_z.jpg

That is where I'm up to at the moment. Tonight il apply the second coat and give it a day to cure up and dry fully. After that il undercoat the inside of the bodywork with Stone Chip. Thankfully my mate who re-sprayed my filler flap and bumper still has the paint at his garage. He will come over and work his magic on it when its ready. If it was any other colour is give it ago my self. Its hidden from view so I'm not massively fussed about how it turns out.

Il update this thread with how we get on :) Thanks for reading, hope it helps someone else.

Chris

Good plan and work so far pal but I would recommend removing the filler car for the sake of two nuts?

It'll probably need them cutting off but easily re-assembled with some stainless fittings?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Nice work !

If you don't catch is soon / quickly the whole lot just rusts like hell.
Its the fact that the dirt and water sit at the back of the arch round the cap and it rots from the inside out.

To help stop it its a case of alot of water, soap and brushes and cleaning the arches top to bottom and then underseal the arches.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Every time I clean the car I make sure that area is clean, its easy to reach with a wheel brush.

Will have to take a closer look it next time its jacked up though, there is nothing around the outside of the filler cap on mine.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Every time I clean the car I make sure that area is clean, its easy to reach with a wheel brush.

Will have to take a closer look it next time its jacked up though, there is nothing around the outside of the filler cap on mine.

It's the metal behind the black plastic surround that had started to go. As I say the only way to really check it is to drill the rivets off and have a look.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
know for a fact mine needs doing as the area is no longer lovely RB blue but more fantastic Mr fox orange :-(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm scared of looking at mine.

It has bubbled rust to one side, but it's been there for years. Doesn't seem to have gotten any worse either - but I know shoving my head in the sand about it won't do much good!

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Do it mate. Even if its to get it to the same point as mine. At least it will be properly protected !!

Better to have it part way sorted now, than later finding out its much much worse.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Looking at my filler cap tonight and there are a couple off bubbles coming but mainly behind the cap cover. How did you take yours off @MarcB and what size bolts did you put it back on with? Cheers :up:

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I drilled the bolts off for the filler cap, I also replaced the rivets with stainless nuts and bolts so its easier to remove next time. I think I used m6 or m8.

monaco 172
What options do we have if you want all the rust down and there's bugger all metal left?

Looked at mine today and there's plenty of rust bubbling behind the 2 main bolts.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What options do we have if you want all the rust down and there's bugger all metal left?

Looked at mine today and there's plenty of rust bubbling behind the 2 main bolts.

Chop out and renew with a good used panel off a breaker or new panel if feeling flush

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Clearly shoving my head in the sand and ignoring this, isn't going to make it go away!

Realistically to get a bodyshop to address this problem, what would I be looking at in terms of a quote? (@gally ) I've had bubbling for a good number of years there, but I'd say that this year it is noticeably worse.

I'm debating having the engine dropped for various jobs, so potentially this could be an expensive year for the 182...

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
My dci is showing a small bit of rust behind the filler flap bracket. Best get on top of it whilst weather is good

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Clearly shoving my head in the sand and ignoring this, isn't going to make it go away!

Realistically to get a bodyshop to address this problem, what would I be looking at in terms of a quote? (@gally ) I've had bubbling for a good number of years there, but I'd say that this year it is noticeably worse.

I'm debating having the engine dropped for various jobs, so potentially this could be an expensive year for the 182...
Hi Darren! Should be okay if looks like above. No need to paint the quarter panel as you can definitely keep it inside the lid.

I'd take less than £150 to fix that plus fixings as the fuel flap bolts won't come off.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Excelle
Hi Darren! Should be okay if looks like above. No need to paint the quarter panel as you can definitely keep it inside the lid.

I'd take less than £150 to fix that plus fixings as the fuel flap bolts won't come off.

Excellent - cheers mate. I’ll look into get that organised over the next couple of months I think. A few more won’t make much difference after 13.5 years...