ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting new steering rack mounts

monaco 172
I'm going to put my new powerflex bushes in my steering rack at the weekend.

Will I need any special tools or will regular sockets and spanners do the job?

Will it make life easier if I had deep sockets etc?

Does the subframe need to come down to get access?

Clio 172
Fitted power flex black to mine a few weeks ago, didn't need any special tools, deep socket and extension as a couple of the clamp bolts are accessed through deep recesses in the rear subframe. Used a little prybar to wiggle the rack out enough to change the bushes. I did mine on the floor with the engine out and it was still fiddly so yep, bag of swear words required!

monaco 172
Fitted power flex black to mine a few weeks ago, didn't need any special tools, deep socket and extension as a couple of the clamp bolts are accessed through deep recesses in the rear subframe. Used a little prybar to wiggle the rack out enough to change the bushes. I did mine on the floor with the engine out and it was still fiddly so yep, bag of swear words required!
Is a deep socket a necessity due to the other end of the bolt poking through the nut too far? Or will a normal socket with plenty of extensions be Ok?

Clio 172
Can't remember to be honest, you don't even need a lot of extensions the nuts only maybe 3 inches into the subframe. Though if you haven't got deep sockets your tool kit must be pretty limited? I'd be worried about starting a job that is going to disable the car if you're not sure you've got everything you need but I guess that's why you started the thread so not much help!:tonguewink:

monaco 172
Can't remember to be honest, you don't even need a lot of extensions the nuts only maybe 3 inches into the subframe. Though if you haven't got deep sockets your tool kit must be pretty limited? I'd be worried about starting a job that is going to disable the car if you're not sure you've got everything you need but I guess that's why you started the thread so not much help!:tonguewink:
My tool kit is pretty good to be fair but I lost my deep sockets to the wife's tidying up, along with my camber bolts which never saw their way to the car!

No probs, I'll get her up in the air tomorow and see how bad it is.

Everything I read suggests it's an absolute arse of a job, but its only 4 bloody nuts and bolts, so I was just checking to see if there's anything I might need.

Luckily I'm off next week

monaco 172
Almost there but ran out of daylight.

3 hours in and got the bushes changed, just need to bolt both sides back to the subframe and I'm done.

Now I completely understand why this is said to be an absolute pig of a job.