ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting an Aftermarket Steering Wheel

172 + 350z
So I have never done this before an interested in fitting an aftermarket steering wheel.
I know I will need a steering wheel boss kit, Also some resonators to turn off the airbag light and then obviously the wheel itself.
What are peoples recommendations for all these parts? Appears to be a lot of discussion in regards to 300mm or 330mm, it is a daily if that makes any difference?
Another thing is what happens in regards to the horn and how do I go about removing the wheel itself.

ive got a 280mm OMP wheel and find it 'ok' for daily use, parking is a bit of a fuss but doesnt bother me that much.

i'd probably recommend either a 300mm or 330mm wheel, you'll probably need a ph2 type boss.

Pretty sure there is a guide in the guides section but here goes.

To fit: unplug battery for half hour before doing anything, there will be 2 torx/screws behind the wheel to take off the airbag, once the airbag is out unplug it and the horn connections.
Then there is a single T50 torx bolt holding the wheel in place, unscrew (not all the way at first) wiggle/pull on wheel to remove. finish taking out the T50 torx bolt.

Line up the boss (should only go on one way) bolt it up with the T50, you may want to add same loctite to the bolt first. then put wheel on... follow guide for the resistor mod. job done

it really is pretty easy, i did mine in the dark with minimal light.

RenaultSport 172
I had a 300mm wheel and swapped for a 330mm. I think the 300 is too small really. 330 is perfect.

The Momo boss is apparently easier to fit all the wires and crap through.
As for the horn, you need to buy a ph1 indicatior stalk which puts the horn on the end of the stick, or connect up a button horn which should come with the new steering wheel. You might need to knock up a bit of wiring for this.

Tom go for the 330 because the 300 seems too small on mine and I'll probably change to that. The omp boss was fine on mine but I have heard of some people struggling to get wires through. The horn button is easy enough to connect up just make sure you get them the right way round :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The Mono boss is £5ish more than the OMP one but worth it for struggle free. Ph2 steering wheel airbags just pop off the back by turning the wheel 90 degrees either way to access the airbag clips using a flat screwdriver. Some people prefer to undo the battery and wait 20mins haute in case the airbag may trip but I've never bothered.

I have a 330 steering wheel and it is perfect for daily use.