ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting an accessory socket (cigarette lighter) in the boot

Clio mk3ph2 1.5dCi
Ok, I'm off comping in the summer and have various electrical goods that I'll be taking with me, e.g. digital camera, laptop, portable fridge, etc. I have a power inverter (cigi to 3pin adaptor) for my stuff and the fridge is 12v anyway, but my 52 plate Clio only has one cigarette lighter, up front...

I want to fitting an accessory socket (cigarette lighter) in the boot, but where do i get the power from?. I have two thoughts on this:
1. There is a courtesy light in the boot, I could run a live from this to power the socket

2. Run a new wire directly from the battery, with an in line fuse to the socket.
What do people think of these options, or am I missing some third, obvious option?, is there already a wiring loom I can tap into?

ValverInBits
The courtesy light is only on when the doors are open? isnt that going to cause issues there?
I'd run another cable personally (option 2)

Clio mk3ph2 1.5dCi
The courtesy light is only on when the doors are open? isnt that going to cause issues there?

A mate pointed that out to me too, but, the light is earthed by a door pin, when to boot/door opens the pin earths and completes the circuit, turning the light on. if I earth the socket directly and just steel the live from the light this shouldn't be a problem. my concern with this is if the wire for the light will be up for the power... but option 2 has the pain of ripping up carpets and running wires, mmm decisions decisions

PH1 172

A mate pointed that out to me too, but, the light is earthed by a door pin, when to boot/door opens the pin earths and completes the circuit, turning the light on. if I earth the socket directly and just steel the live from the light this shouldn't be a problem. my concern with this is if the wire for the light will be up for the power... but option 2 has the pain of ripping up carpets and running wires, mmm decisions decisions

I doubt the light feed will be enough as correct me if I am wrong....isn't the light about 5V feed and the cigarette socket 12V?...

Da

Less
Don't tap into the courtesy light, you'll probably blow the fuse.

The only real way to do it is with a new feed from either the cig lighter in the cabin or to run a separate feed direct from the battery with an inline fuse as you say.

Is the inverter powerful enough to power all your appliances?

Clio mk3ph2 1.5dCi
Is the inverter powerful enough to power all your appliances?

probably not, but most of the campsites we'll be staying at have power huck-up so wont really be using it much, but we're doing A LOT of driving about, so its a nice thing to have just in case. The main reason i want the socket in the back is so I can put the mini fridge in there so there will be some cold beers ready for when we arrive at the campsites after a long days driving :D

not to hi-jack my own thread, but does anybody know if its possible to adjust the headlights for driving on the wrong side of the road without using those stickers?