ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a de-cat

Im on the verge of ordering a de-cat for my 16v, but was just wondering is it best to have it fitted or is it a home job?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Unless you got ramps id say its a lot easier to get it fitted. theres 4 bolts, but only one is really a problem as its right by the lambda sensor and there aint much room at all. Plus if the nuts and bolts are nice and rusty you might have to cut them off, again not an easy job with bolt by the lambda.

350z & 16v Maxi

It is 4 bolts out and then 4 bolts back on, however the bolts are generally wielded on because of the heat coming of the manifold. If you are doing it on the ground under that car then it will be hard.

Ive done it to 3 Clios: 1 16v and 2 1400 RTs and I had to cut the bolts off.

Hmmm...cheers guys. I had a look at the four bolts and they look really innocent and as if theyll come off. But, as you say, looks can be deceptive!

Ive only got axle stands, so maybe this is a job for the professionals. Do Hill Power fit their decats? Its a long way from me, but at least they know what theyre doing. Do you reckon theyd fit it on the spot if I gave them a ring to arrange a time to visit?

clio 20v

i had to cut the bolts off mine its a rite bastid as u cant get to the top nut very well an it takes ages to cut it, i did mine on axle stands

ull need new gaskets as well

adi

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

well ive never had mine fitted and its been on and off at least 4 times, the firast time took 5 hours cos i had to cut the bolts off. But i can do it in the rain, in the dark in around an hour and a half now. When you do it get 4 new nuts and bolts ready and copper grese them, does make things easier for the next time.

clio 20v

5hrs! wot was you usin as a saw a bread knife lol

mine was that rusty i managed it in half hour with a hacksaw blade with a piece of plastic taped to the end

do you change the gaskets every time u swap it for mot time

adi

if they look OK they proabably are, you will need (and with hill power will get) new bolts, there is no skill in fitting as its an exact fit with no adjustment, its just four very awkward bolts, or 3 awkward and one real pain in the ass bolt, if you need to cut them try an angle grinder, i grind them half off anf the snap them with a spanner, it took a few hours with mine but alot of that time was fitting the rest of the (exhaust "coolspot007007s" old one!) if you dont fancy getting rust and sirt in your eyes i would take it to your local fast fit exhaust place and ask them to do it, its the sort of thing they do all day so it will take them no time, but if its a chain they arent supposed to do it so it will be a cash in the pocket job (£10 or £15 tops) i got a few things dont on the glocester road kwik fit as one of the main lads there had a williams but i think he might he gone now, they are usually pretty good,

the gaskets are quite dear and i thought i could get away without them but mine has started blowing slightly since and i will have to get them form renault.

good luck,

which one did you decide to go for?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

i was using an angle grinder, it was 5 hours in total, not just cutting it. All the bolts had rounded and rusted heads. It was mainly the size of the grinder and the lack of space that was the problem as it was the top nut by the lambda i had to cut. In the end i had to result to a hacksaw blade for the last bit. As for gaskets i just wire brushed em and made sure they were straight and used plenty of sealer.

clio 20v

i jus took the de-cat down to the local tyre and exhaust place think it was ATS an they found me the gaskets for some change towards the brew money hehe

reno wanted a fiver for one gasket!

adi

Thanks Ben but Im after a Hill Power one because Ive seen Loftys and think its better than the others Ive seen. Cheers.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Ben i went down to my local quick fit and gave em a tenner they did it 20 mins while a waited, takes no time at all.

Mine fell off, that made it a lot easier for the garage! I had the centre section custom made stainless at the same time, wasnt that expensive and didnt take long. Depends on the Decat i guess, I got KTECs silenced one, its not too loud which is nice.