ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitted matched inlets and car wont start

Phase 2 172
Today me and frazjam change my upper inlet on ma phase 2 172. We stripped everything off top inlet and every thing off the bottom one to but decided against changing it untill i get a cup alt setup. Put everything back on fuel rail all hoses throttle body airbox and sensors. Started the car was idoling quite high and reving itself. I drove for five mins and the car cut out. Tried to start it and wouldnt start. Got towed back to frasers. Checked we had connected everything back up properly still wouldnt start so we stripped it down put it all back together still nothing. Also noticed a little oil on the throttle body and induction bend. So we took the inlet off put the original one back on and still the same. It sounds like it wants to start but just wont fire. Anyone had anything like this?

172 Race Car
Massive air leak i reckon. Did you replace the gaskets?

There is a rubber seal on the bottom of the top inlet that is often forgotten, make sure its not still stuck to your old inlet

Phase 2 172
Changed every sensor, nothing

Unplugged knock sensor and gave it a clean, plugged it in and boom went fine and runs ok lol

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had a few texts about this tonight, just to update, oil has pished out of the tb, I reckon it's got to be a breather issue of some sort, possibly the wrong inlet fitted and causing excess crankcase pressure but I'm sure James and Fraser will appreciate more opinions.

Phase 2 172
Yeah new plugs aswell going to compare the inlets tomorow and see if theres any difference. And get a camera down the engine and have a look

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
air leak or possibly when changing it the first time you didnt drop anything into the inlet? might be worth checking the compression.

Phase 2 172
Just been down to the car took the breather plate of blew through both ends cant seem to find any blockages :s

Phase 2 172
All the part numbers were the same and had the breather on it. Will try that and see what happens.

Phase 2 172
defanitly been having a browse on here cant seem to find anything :s got a spare engine? lol

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye 172 and 182 inlets are different.

Revving itself sounds like an airleak as mentioned

Surely it cant be plugs/leads if it ran for a while before cutting out?

Phase 2 172
We solved that problem yday but then on the way home alot of smoke from the exhaust and it cut out oil pouring out the throttle body. :s

Phase 2 172
Been down to the car to do a compression test the readings were

1. 1.75 bar (40 psi)
2. 0.75 bar (15 psi)
3. 1.5 bar (30 psi)
4. 1.5 bar (30 psi)

dont know what the figures are ment to be but was advised to do this anyone know?

Phase 2 172
I think i done it properly as i say dont have a clue about these things :/ no offence taking lol
Yeah they were dave.