ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time my RS has felt slow!

black 172 ph2
Went out with two of my mates today in there Evo 7's and my 172, was in front for a bit and Clio seemed to holding the two of them of for a while!

Until we headed onto the motorway, as I merged onto the motor giving every gear a good thrashing, then watched two sliver evo's going flying past me and disappear.

Finally caught up as they where doing rolling starts in 3rd on the motorway. Then they disappeared again! Felt like I was standing still lol
:(

p.s I new they where quick but didn’t think they would make my clio look so s**t lol.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Disappointing isnt it! When i had my mini cooper S i thought it was a rocket ship! Had about 230bhp so wasnt shy so decided to see just how much slower it would be than my mates 600bhp R33 gtr.. my mini never felt the same after that :dapprove:

Pug 205 gti
Yep! my pulsar was an animal an would kill my 172, had a play with a member on here in his 182 an it went straight passed him on the m/way

tiTTy & SV650
Big deal, straight line speed is just gonna cost you your licence. If it was holding its own in the twisties this is what I'd be chuffed about.

black 172 ph2
Big deal, straight line speed is just gonna cost you your licence. If it was holding its own in the twisties this is what I'd be chuffed about.

Yea that was my thought but one of them is on coilovers and is mental at going round corners and the other is standard and still out handles me in the corners.
:(
When we stopped for a pub lunch they thought i was not booting it when they where doing rolling starts. Then follwed by laughter as i answered lol

RS 172
Some of these jap monsters running silly BHP will eat up exotic italian metal for breakfast, its pretty scary stuff. Always someone with a quicker car than the next guy.

black 172 ph2
Couldnt even find a good point about my clio as i was trying to fight my corner as one of them picked there mint evo 7 up for 8-9k

Clio 172 exclusive
I had an Evo 7 FQ300 was doing 310 standard so was pleased! had it remapped to they said 360 but on the rollers only managed 347bhp!
But yes even totally standard would murder any 172! wet or dry! from lights, motorway whatever! silly quick cars! wish i still had it now!:(

Clios are still quicker at all speeds than 80% of anything you'll encounter day to day. Don't worry about it. Get it on track and properly enjoy it. I had numerous people come up to me and comment on how quick it was on track, and I didn't get banned.

182 Trophy
no matter how quick they are, they will never have the same feel when throwing into corners as an rs clio;), all the computers doing it on the new ones and the diff and 4wd doing it on the older ones, a car that has hardly any floors would become boring imho, i love evo's dont get me wrong but everyone knows theyre quick and its never a surprise when one passes you as you just think 'its an evo, so what'. A 172 sits on the arse of a high powered german car down some country lanes however and its much more of a surprise ;)

Maybe a 172 Cup..
As above mate,wouldn't give it a second thought.Enjoy the Clio for what it is. A fun motor That will shock a few and do everything quite well. You can't compare it to cars that are basically rally cars on the road. On the plus side probs cost your mates 50quid in fuel for that run out, 30 quid in burnt rubber and put them half-way to their next service...

if you have money to burn...an evo would be up there close to the top of my list.

house, car, bills etc kind of restricts me to a fantastic hot hatch that relatively speaking, doesn't cost the earth to run! i love my r27 ;) lol

2002 172 cup
if you have money to burn...an evo would be up there close to the top of my list.

house, car, bills etc kind of restricts me to a fantastic hot hatch that relatively speaking, doesn't cost the earth to run! i love my r27 ;) lol

same for me too house, bills, xbox games, oh and wife make the clio cup an affordable choice for me. Round here there are loads of evo's but as someone said before you know what to expect when you see one so were is the fun in that.

MCS R56
Clios are not all that quick in a straight line. Just enjoy them for what they are, good handling, fun hatchbacks. The Evo is a weapon that can humble supercars - what did you expect?!

clio trophy No56
Clios are not about straight line speed, although in their class they are one of the fastest, they are all about good handling and fun as already said.

I just drove my mates Focus ST, mapped to 300bhp and something like 320lbs torque. Also just had vertually a whole new gearbox, clutch etc out of the new Focus RS put in. Now that things quick, drove it in the damp and it was spinning in 4th with the ESP turned off. Doest matter what gear you in you put you foot down and the pick up is rapid.
Although he does admit my Trophy would cane him around a twisty road or track.:D

I can confirm that a 300/320 Focus is f**king quick in-gear. Enough torque to reverse the Earth's rotation. The 340/397 remap must be bonkers.

clio trophy No56
I can confirm that a 300/320 Focus is f**king quick in-gear. Enough torque to reverse the Earth's rotation. The 340/397 remap must be bonkers.

Damn right! I had it in 5th at 30mph and put my foot down and it took off. It was like having my Trophy in 3rd @ 30mph and putting my foot down.
He wont take his above 300/320, he just got new tyres 5000 miles ago and he is nearly due some new ones.
It felt quicker then the 300bhp Evo 5 a test drove.

182 Trophy
a few lads with mapped focus st's mapped to 300 say a stage 2 meggy feels much more urgant and in general quicker, even in a straight line, there was a good thread on meganesport. Forget torque, we arent pulling caravans here, 4cylinder raw and revvy is where its at ;)

Damn right! I had it in 5th at 30mph and put my foot down and it took off. It was like having my Trophy in 3rd @ 30mph and putting my foot down.
He wont take his above 300/320, he just got new tyres 5000 miles ago and he is nearly due some new ones.
It felt quicker then the 300bhp Evo 5 a test drove.

Yeah it's a bit different with the RS TBH (which I wasn't clear about). The 340/397 remap is the Stage 1. The internals can handle around 400hp apparently. Stage 3 is 380+

When you say he has the RS 'box, presumably that includes the LSD? I ask because mine doesn't spin up in 4th.

a few lads with mapped focus st's mapped to 300 say a stage 2 meggy feels much more urgant and in general quicker, even in a straight line, there was a good thread on meganesport. Forget torque, we arent pulling caravans here, 4cylinder raw and revvy is where its at ;)

Lighter and less lag? Not sure about the ST, but the RS turbo is laggy. But f**k me, when it's boosting you know about it!

182 Trophy
before anyonme starts too, i said that with slightly gritted teeth lol, i would never underestimate a 300bhp st, ever.

M235i / 172
Yeah it's a bit different with the RS TBH (which I wasn't clear about). The 340/397 remap is the Stage 1. The internals can handle around 400hp apparently. Stage 3 is 380+

When you say he has the RS 'box, presumably that includes the LSD? I ask because mine doesn't spin up in 4th.
I'm guessing his mates ST doesn't have the Revoknuckle set up, just the quaife. Makes a big difference from what I've heard.

Lighter and less lag? Not sure about the ST, but the RS turbo is laggy. But f**k me, when it's boosting you know about it!
Bigger turbo on the RS isn't it? ST spools up nice n quick but I'd like a little more umph like the RS had further up the gears. I'm never happy lol.
I'd love an RS mate.. You're one lucky bugga!

Evo' s are great, they are very fast in a straight line, like other people have mentioned they can humble supercars. I owned an 7 FQ 300 5 years ago, only sold it because of an expanding family, they give you so much confidence to drive fast, the only thing that was more fun was my Elise, but ultimately the road that you are driving dictates the speed that you can go.
When I sell my 172 this year I will be getting either a Scooby or an Evo again:)

clio trophy No56

Not too sure about the box, he told me his clutch give up so he got a new RS one + RS flywheel and something else from the RS which i cant remember. He said it was basically now a 'RS box'. Dont think its got LSD but i could be incorrect?
The biting point on the clutch is mad, just comes from nowhere, i got used to it quite quick though, when i got back in the Trophy it felt really heavy.
As for it spinning in 4th it wasnt raining but it was damp to wet and it was about 2 degrees. And as i said he made me turn the ESP off as he said it just sucks the power away when you put your foot down, which i suppose answers the LSD question? Does a car with LSD still have ESP????? Im confusing myself now, lol.
He test drove a RS a month ago and said he thought his ST was quicker in a straight line, obviously in the twisty bits the RS would win hands down. He was seriously thinking of getting the RS but said he couldnt justify the gains over his ST.
IMO the RS looks much better, there is 2 within 4 miles of me, Blue one and a Green one. :cool:

no matter how quick they are, they will never have the same feel when throwing into corners as an rs clio;), all the computers doing it on the new ones and the diff and 4wd doing it on the older ones, a car that has hardly any floors would become boring imho, i love evo's dont get me wrong but everyone knows theyre quick and its never a surprise when one passes you as you just think 'its an evo, so what'. A 172 sits on the arse of a high powered german car down some country lanes however and its much more of a surprise ;)

Couldn't agree more. I had a Clio 172 for 2 years, sold it, bought a WRX. Didn't liked it much, sold that, got an Evo IX like 2 years ago Now, the Evo was (well, it still is_ spectacular compared to the WRX in the handling department. It felt SO MORE CONNECTED. Thing is, I kind of forgot how much more connected the Clio can feel :)

However, I lately just bought another 172, to enjoy it in the city. And imho it is way way more fun than the Evo. You FEEL the car and what it's doing. The Evo is stupidly fast (about 410 HP currently) and it can go around corners that your mind tells you are impossible at that speed. But while doing that it feels a bit detached, like there's some magic at work :) that you're not responsible of. In the Clio you feel the wheels losing traction, you feel the very mass of the car moving around. Yes, it has a lot less grip, but you're controlling that grip. You're riding the machine, not just driving inside it :)

Another thing is that the Clio, being N/A, it's so much more adjustable. You can feed the power slowly or fast or whatever. In the Evo it's considerably more difficult to adjust the power (mind you, I'm no expert). Due to the turbo it delivers the power so violently it's not even fun at some point and definitely not playful.

Don't feel bad about the Clios. They ARE wonderful and make you smile a lot more than an Evo, in my view at least :)

-VaVaVoum