ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First shoot with my new Camera, the Z3.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
You've seen this car before I know. But this was me playing with my upgrade. Used to shoot everything with my D40 and a fixed 50mm lens, this was done with my new Nikon D5100 using the kit lens. Everything on manual, with a tripod. Just snapping and playing with the settings really!

6315431607_cc860eddb6_z.jpg

DSC_0007 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

6315951810_ca528f6b85_z.jpg

DSC_0010 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

6315954712_f1aa430568_z.jpg

DSC_0011 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

6315440805_54e23bb842_z.jpg

DSC_0014 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

And on the way, tried out the video a bit to catch it's ride. Seriously, it's one of those cars where you won't appreciate how low it is 'till you see it in the flesh. That, or if you've owned/lowered a Z3 before.

C+C welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no photography expert but can't help feeling a couple of those shots would have benefitted from a light source on the same side that you were shooting from. That or slightly longer exposure.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Tailpipes are on the piss because the exhaust scraped itself enough to brake a bracket. 17" wheels.

I know what you mean Turkish! Picture 2 is my fav due to the lighting on it. However, I kinda like the dark moodynesness of them a bit.

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Awesome photos! How much did your camera/kit set you back? Pm if you like

I've been thinking of investing in a decent camera and those photos look superb for a play around!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Love the car. Photos look like you're advertising the shops more than the Z3...

I get what you mean! It was difficult as those signs can probably be seen from space, so every time I tried to bring out a bit more light on the Z they would completely over expose. Should have done more from the angle like I did in shots 2 and 4 I think! Lighting has always been my weakpoint.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I get what you mean! It was difficult as those signs can probably be seen from space, so every time I tried to bring out a bit more light on the Z they would completely over expose. Should have done more from the angle like I did in shots 2 and 4 I think! Lighting has always been my weakpoint.

Do you have photoshop? Take an 'overexposed' shot where the cars nicely lit but the signs are too bright, then take a shot where the signs are dark and splice them together :)

172 Cup
Awesome car man i like it alot! The shots look great...i'd love a 'good' camera but im no photographer so wouldnt know where to begin with such a thing :( lol.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Awesome photos! How much did your camera/kit set you back? Pm if you like

I've been thinking of investing in a decent camera and those photos look superb for a play around!

Got the D5100 kit for £620 from John Lewis. Loving it so far, the video quality in the day is bloody brilliant too! Definitely worth the dollar. If you don't want to spend as much, the D3100 is a good camera too.

I upgraded from my old Nikon D40 which is way down the scale compared to the new stuff but it was easy to use and still produced nice images. Nikon are definitely the best DSLR for beginners. So if you want to get into it, I'd go for a Nikon. :) It's really not that hard. I started doing most stuff on auto and slowly ween'd myself into the manual settings. If you have a camera, and use it often enough you start to really get used to the settings and can tweak them to your preferences.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks I'll look into it, are 2nd hand cameras alright? Saying that I can't imagine why they wouldn't be, I was just thinking they'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than brand new ones

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thanks I'll look into it, are 2nd hand cameras alright? Saying that I can't imagine why they wouldn't be, I was just thinking they'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than brand new ones

I think I wouldn't buy a second hand one just because I don't believe in buying into old technology too much. The settings havent really changed much, you still got your basics (F Number, shutter speeds, white balance ISO etc etc etc) but the interfaces have been upgraded, better image sensors, more megapixels and all that. It's worth going for a play in jessops.

Rob is pretty much echoing my feeling on it. The Z3 just needs a bit of a lift, throw some more light at it and make it stand out a little more from the location. The darkness of the subject lets it down, if some of the details/contours of the car were more visible the pics would look better IMO.

Z4
Good photos mate :)

Obviously lighting could be improved, light painting could enhance these no end.

All in all, your photos make the car look cool man!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Nice pictures. Don't like the car one bit. Z3 is one of the ugliest cars ever made. Video is gay aswell.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nice, long exposure shots Jason? If so you could of just shone a torch on the car from a little distance during the exposure to make it stand out more :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Didn't have a torch on me! But yeah, would have been a good idea! Havent done anything long exposure for well over a year tbf!

How do you get there? Just keep going up the road past prodrive?

No, it's left on the big roundabout near Tesco's, if you were leaving Tesco's to go on the M40.

Not sure you can get on to it anymore though, as Prodrive have just bought the site and are moving onto it, not been there for a good few months. There's some decent old barns and places around as well.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I wouldn't like to have seen pictures from your old camera. :eek:

Probably would have been better. Good ol' trusty D40.

No, it's left on the big roundabout near Tesco's, if you were leaving Tesco's to go on the M40.

Not sure you can get on to it anymore though, as Prodrive have just bought the site and are moving onto it, not been there for a good few months. There's some decent old barns and places around as well.

Yeah, plus if I get caught I'm not sure how Prodrive would feel if one of their employee's was trespassing on company property?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I do! In the composites department, Milton Keynes. And live in Bicester. Hence why I drive a TDI now and have air ride! COMMUTE y0!