ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finding it Impossible to Remove Top Mount Nut

PH1 V6
As above, i have tried almost everything.

I have soaked them for hours in WD40 and tried another oil.

I have used a deep socket with alen key (levering against eachother etc).

THEY WILL NOT BUDGE! why the hell do garages do them up so darn tight!

what can i do as im changing my springs over for sportlines tomorrow...

Thanks

PH1 V6
havent got a breaker bar or anything so im wondering if quik fit would buzz them for me first thing tomorrow morning....

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Nightmare when they are tight, did mine today with 21mm deep spanner and 6mm allen key. I would say that Kwik Fit would buzz, maybe even slip the fitter a few ££.

PH1 V6
i do just have one question....

its all very well leavering the top nut but how do you guys keep the resistance on the allen key when its so small lol. (if that makes sense).

I suppose im having more problems than normal because they have been done up excessively tight! i think a buzz gun will be my only option.

Qashcow
the do them up so tight so they dont fall off and you die...

take it to a garage and get the to buzz it off with an airgun, you wont get it off yourself. the centre will just spin within the shock

Clio 182ff
are you being serious? if so how

1. Place bag o peas on mount for 10mins.
2. take off bag and leave for a few mins.
3. Try to move nut with torques driver.

The nut warms faster then the bolt, expanding a little to release the 'seal' effect the rusting causes.

its not full proof, but has worked for me in the past :D

ITB'd MK1
you havn't jacked it up before trying to undo them have you?

Get the weight of the car on the suspension and it will normally stop the shock spinning.

Impact gun FTW though

PH1 V6
yeah car is on the ground! im going to go to kwik fit first thing tomorrow morning and hope that by slipping them a few quid they will loosen them for me with a buzz gun.

Hopefully they wont tell me they cant do it due to safety etc etc. some places are like that!

It's A Reno
Plusgas left overnight + 21mm or 7/176W combination ring spanner + Allen key and tube + effort = win. :)

if you've got an old file handle/similar, that might help (over the allen key), otherwise air gun

copper grease when putting it back together!

ed. or just a tube. didn't spot that

Clio 182
Yup, impact wrench. Had same problems this week and i almost wanted to pay someone to change my suspension. Fortunatly he didnt have time he just used cordless impact wrench and it was off in a second so i could do everything else myself. If i knew that i'd use my pneumatic wrench. Live and learn. :approve:

PH1 V6
GOOD NEWS!

went round to a mates house at half 9 this evening and after some serious elbow grease we got them undone.....whilst we were there we looked at eachother and thought F*** IT we its 10pm already lets just do the damn springs now!

2 hours later and we have finnished :) just taken the car for a spin and OMG do sportlines make a huge handling difference over the standard ropey springs.

Got it done really quickly and thanks to my mate having a HUGE TOOL SET (he owns and races a caterham superlight so has all the gear :) )

Clio Trophy
This is why I tend to avoid DIY, one issue where you need a specific tool you don't have and you're fucked.

Just got the car set up on axle stands and everything only to find the allen key bends and the hex in the top of the shock absorber rod starts to round before the nut will slacken. :expressionless:

330i. E30 Touring.
C
This is why I tend to avoid DIY, one issue where you need a specific tool you don't have and you're fucked.

Just got the car set up on axle stands and everything only to find the allen key bends and the hex in the top of the shock absorber rod starts to round before the nut will slacken. :expressionless:
Cordless buzz gun required.

Or get the car back on the ground, take it somewhere with air tools and have them loosen them up for you, then go back and undo it.

C

Cordless buzz gun required.

Or get the car back on the ground, take it somewhere with air tools and have them loosen them up for you, then go back and undo it.
This, I tried for a whole day trying to get the feckers off, took it to the garage and they where loose in seconds. People over tighten them when refitting is the issue, I've just nipped mine now.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, give the guy a fiver and ask him to loosen and just nip it up. Less than 30 seconds work for them

We did that a few years ago on my mates 182, took it to kwik fit and he borrowed their gun. Stuck the socket on and give it a quick blip of the trigger and the socket went flying across the garage 😂

dan's cast offs.
zombie10.jpg