ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FINALLY - Top mount modified part from Renault!

182 cup
Yes they are unfortunately.
Do you need a full set of mounts? Why?
Solid type ones are better value only on a track car.Although the steering sharpens up a little bit and you loose some flex from the std rubber ones, they transmit noises more and they do put more strain on the chassis. Some like them some don't.

I need new top mounts - are they really over £100 inc vat from renault?

Surely the £150 K-Tec racing solid top mounts are better value for money?

Megane RS 250
If you're going to fit coilovers or your car is track only use the solit top mount...I fear it's going to be a bit too stiff for the road.

182 cup
Although my advice is also to stick to the std top mounts unless you have problems with them and/or you use the car on track a lot, I disagree on the stiffness comment.

I now run a set of the black K-tec ones (picked them up cheap), with eibachs and std shocks. They haven't made the car noticeably stiffer, but they have sharpened up the steering a bit/made it feel a tiny bit more precise. They do transmit road/suspension noises more though (no clunking/knocking however). I'll know how they do on track on Monday.

If you're going to fit coilovers or your car is track only use the solit top mount...I fear it's going to be a bit too stiff for the road.

Yes they are unfortunately.
Do you need a full set of mounts? Why?
Solid type ones are better value only on a track car.Although the steering sharpens up a little bit and you loose some flex from the std rubber ones, they transmit noises more and they do put more strain on the chassis. Some like them some don't.

I got a warning for excess play in the top mounts on my MOT - they've done 110k and need replacing

Fitting Bilstein B14 coilovers next week and it's a weekend/track car - so I'm thinking solid top mounts would be good

Is it worth fitting a strut brace with them as they put more stress on the chassis?

182 cup
For a track car solid ones make sense, but instead of the k-tec ones I would go for a set that are adjustable for camber/caster (for example the AST ones).
Can't comment on the strutbrace front, haven't tried on the clio. Their aim if to reduce movement of the suspension towers to keep the geometry unaffected, rather that stenghtening up of the mounting points as such, so not sure how much it'll help on that front.

I got a warning for excess play in the top mounts on my MOT - they've done 110k and need replacing

Fitting Bilstein B14 coilovers next week and it's a weekend/track car - so I'm thinking solid top mounts would be good

Is it worth fitting a strut brace with them as they put more stress on the chassis?

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
shameless bump, but i'm planning on doing mine with the new kit this week, will the new bearing need a bit of grease or just whack it in as it comes? ta

Megane RS 250
Finally solved the knocking problems...after changing the top mounts I went for a used steering rack...no more knocking!

Clio 17
Could somebody tell me what size spanner is needed to tighten the inserts? I dont have a spanner big enough and I havent got anything to measure across the flats.

Cheers

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Part no's:
R54 3A 097 80R top mount kit
R82 00 867 250 insert

To be honest I needed to replace the bearings in mine so got the kit anyway, so never checked the new style insert to the old top mounts :eek:

Are 172 and 182 same part no ?

Skoda fabia Vrs
Do knackered strut top bearings make the car hard to steer or is my problem some where else? I mean really "tight" to the right but loose to the left. No knocking though.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Fred, is there a definitive answer on the new insert (R82 00 867 250)? Will it stop the creaking if used with original top mounts?

Megane RS 250
I tried the washers: no results
I fitted the new style top mounts: same
Then I fitted a refurbished steering rack, and finally I solved the problem.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Bump for this thread does this now work. i have one to fit parts guy didn't say about inserts. so i will have to order them.

clio sport 182
right so ive just ordered all new shocks and top mounts new style with the modified spacer.

question is do i need to go buy another 2 washers?

right so ive just ordered all new shocks and top mounts new style with the modified spacer.

question is do i need to go buy another 2 washers?

If you've bought the new top mount kits complete then no, all the parts required are in the kit.

Regards Russ...

Ph1
This topic makes it look more complicated than it is. All anyone needs is 2x top mount kits and 2x top hat nuts - job done