ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FINALLY - Top mount modified part from Renault!

Focus ST-3
NO

its simple

OE top mounts, ie never changed from factory - use new insert - done

NEW style top mounts - have to use the NEW insert

Ive just ordered the insert to go with my 'old' oe topmounts, get them tomorrow... £10.10 inc vat from renault

Just rang the dealers to order some new top mounts, he gave me the price for part number 543A09780R £37.96 each

Asked them about these "new inserts" and they didnt have a clue??

Whats going on with the dealers, are they correct or do we need the above parts (new top mounts) AND the inserts (8200867250) £5 each?

Confusing stuff this... lol

Focus ST-3
according to fred, if you have OE top mounts then you can just buy the new inserts and jobs done, so £10.10 for the pair

If you have the new top mounts then you MUST use the new insert, you cannot use the old insert.

according to fred, if you have OE top mounts then you can just buy the new inserts and jobs done, so £10.10 for the pair

If you have the new top mounts then you MUST use the new insert, you cannot use the old insert.

Mentioned this to the parts guys at the dealers and they knew nothing about it....!?!?!? :S

Focus ST-3
Mentioned this to the parts guys at the dealers and they knew nothing about it....!?!?!? :S

no idea, i just asked for 2 x 8200867250 and they said it would be ready for collection tomorrow

if your buying the new top mounts then buy the inserts aswell, if your staying with your original top mounts then just buy the insert

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
just picked mine up from renault in slough, where abouts do they fit? under the top hat but below the arch if that makes sense

182 cup
Just as a warning before everybody rushes to their local Renault for inserts/mounts.
The knoking/ratling has come back on mine (after a full set of mounts/inserts etc), esp after I've adjusted the camber to a more agressive -2.
Dropped an M14 washer abobe the new insert and it's now ok again.
Not sure how this affects others but my suggestion is to not rush just for the sake of it, unless you need them. I suspect more testing/investigating is needed....

I have these. I bought new top mounts recently, and the parts guy said "Oh by the way, you'll need these too". So I took them, and when fitted, we saw that it was a one-piece thing, replacing the two-piece thing. Thought nothing of it. I was going to buy the JamSport washers too hahaha, but it's all good it seems :approve:

Megane RS 250
charlesk so you're telling that I'd better fit the whasers I made for the old style top mount or I need a different type (what's M14?)

182 cup
Just thought to update the thread with my issues/findings. No idea if others will find the same or not (a bit too early yet). However I was dissapointed to discover that they knocked/rattled once I've adjusted the camber to -2degrees. They were ok up until then. (maybe by adjusting the camber the shock shaft moved closer to the turret).

I don't think the old style washer will work with these. That was designed to fit around the old 17mm nut. With the new style insert I've just used as standard M14 washer ( washer for M14 bolts - internal dia approx 15mm ext 28mm thickness 2.5mm - any hardware store will have these in and if you ask for some M14 washers they'll know what you mean I got 10 for 50p so worth the punt). With the new insert having a nice flat top I just put the washer between that and the new top hats and it appears to work so far. Will see...

I would fit your mounts as they come and see how they behave, adding the washer take 2min since you only need to remove the top hat to fit.

charlesk so you're telling that I'd better fit the whasers I made for the old style top mount or I need a different type (what's M14?)

Last edited:
  Focus ST-3
im guessing these fit on top of the rubber hats? will i need to jack the car up or just do it as normal?

I had a look at the nut at the top of the rubber hats and they appear to be a one piece part already... or am i looking at the wrong part?
dont know why it looks so rusty in the pic coz it didnt in real life lol... but is it this nut/spacer im replacing??
171048e2.gif

Megane RS 250
Just ordered the new inserts, 5 euro each. Thanks for the part number. As soon as I have the new dampers they'll go on the car!

Focus ST-3
I didnt know either but charlesk sent me a few pictures of how to fit, which helped a lot, thanks again for that... but as he has said in previous posts the new top hats are a different design and seem to be designed for use with the new insert/spacer. So since trial fitting the new insert/spacer i am now opting just for the washer fix until i find the need for new top mounts... I know its a bit of work for you charlesk but maybe posting the pictures you sent me will illustrate this for everyone else??

thanks again mate

182 cup
Due to popular demand here it is:

Old style insert and nut:
05042011165.jpg

05042011168.jpg

Old vs new style top hat (short is new)
05042011161.jpg

New insert in place (single piece):
05042011160.jpg

Assembled with an m14 washer betwee top hat and insert:
05042011163.jpg

My advice/experience for what it's worth:

The new inserts need the new style top hats to fit properly.
Unless you need bearings/top mounts just get a set of washers. Easier to fit, and as good if not better fix.
Not that difficult to make with the right tools. I'll even contemplate getting some made if there is enough interest and people are struggling to get them.

Megane RS 250
Great work charlesk!
As I'm not sure what a M14 washer is, could you please tell me the size in mm?

Megane RS 250
Today I got the Clio back...new style top mounts, koni dampers and eibach sportlines.
Sadly the creaking when I steer at low speed / still is not cured.
Now the only thing I haven't changed are the arb bushes and the steering rack... what do you think?!