ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FFS - Megs clay..........AGAIN

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
When will I learn? :mad:

After recovering from last year's fiasco (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135061&highlight=clay) I had the 'bright idea' of trying it again today.

Everything would be different this time though, or so I thought. I read and re-read what I needed to do and I would pick a small area of the car that's mainly out of sight.

I picked an area - roughly 12" long underneath the side strip on the drivers door where a lot of contaminants were stuck - mainly tar specks. After the car was given a good washing and a dry down, I looked along the door and compared the view both above and below the side strip.

Roughly the same in appearance (slight swirls marks) but below the strip clearly had a lot more deposits. So, crouched down in front of this section of door, I had already prepped my new piece of Megs clay in warm water and drowned the section of door in Quik Detailer.

As gently as I could, I moved the clay side to side (for approx half-a-dozen) goes then checked the surface of the clay. Sure enough, there was the telltale brown/yellowy tint that I understood to be tar deposits.

Fecking great, I thought and folded the clay over to reveal a virgin-white surface again.

I moved a few inches back and drenched the door section again with QD and repeated the process. It was then I thought best to check on what the results were like.

I had a bucket with a tepid water AG shampoo/water mix and sponge in and rewashed the area again. Rinsed it off and dried it off too.

Then, the sh1t hit the fan again. It looked absolutely bloody awful. The contaminants had clearly gone, but the section of door was surface-scratched to buggery. The view below the door strip now was much worse than that above. Slight swirls I can cope with - blatant scratches look fecking awful.

So, back to the Abort/Panic/Recovery Scenario that I had last year. Thank god for Megs ScratchX and AG's Super Resin Polish afterwards. Between them, they've pretty much reduced the clay-applied scratches to the minor ones of before.

I must be the only person on this forum who cannot for the life of me, use this bloody product, ffs. It's hardly rocket science, is it? Yet on both occasions, it has looked worse than when I started it.

I will never, ever use Megs clay on my car's bodywork again. I am 110% disillusioned with it - unless of course, I am blatantly doing something wrong. I must be. Why does no one else appear to have this trouble with it?

D.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
Sounds like your methods were exactly the same as I did today, but I never had a problem, and managed to get this finish - http://www.btinternet.com/~paulj.ewing/SellCup/SK2Front.JPG (Full Res)

SK2Front2.jpg

That was finished using the Teflon polish from Cusco Kid, very good stuff!

Last edited:
me too - I dont understand what your doing wrong!
Ive used it on numerous cars - also mine is looking quite manky now but still gets a great finish!
I remember it happening last year as well - dont make any sense!

Rsport182Cup'd
Stange, just double double check make sure you not dropped your clay - if so bin it, and make sure no pooh in your bucket kidda

106 GTi
Just a thought - Claying will remove anything on your paint including any sealants or waxes that may be hiding any swirls etc.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I had a similar experiance but only had very light marring. I put this down to the fact that certain areas were highly contaminated and required alot of work. As I was going to go over with the rotary afterwards, it didn't bother me.

al

ST on the way...
Never had a problem with clay!!

Lol @ giles........what do you think it is? Paint stripper? :S

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just a thought - Claying will remove anything on your paint including any sealants or waxes that may be hiding any swirls etc.

Rich, I remember you saying the same on my other thread last year. I wonder if (for whatever reason?) the paintwork itself is pretty crap on the surface and has been 'hidden' by layers of wax or some other coating before I had the car delivered?

Again (as if to further prove this) Jain used some of the clay on a section of her Vee and the results were superb.

As we're looking into buying a PC, it will be an interesting exercise to find out what's underneath...

D.

106 GTi
If you have lots of bonded on stuff Darren I would be tempted to pre soak the areas with first with some All Purpose Cleaner, from Meguiars or AG Engine and Machine Cleaner and Autoglym Tar And Adhesive Remover before claying this may cut down the marring.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh using clay will show up every surface imperfection, but as most people polish after claying as part of a "proper job" you notice every little defect. I did mine in the Sun a couple of weeks ago and was worried for a while! But a good polish later and seal and wax and only very minor swirls are minimal. These should go as soon as I get my PC...

ST
I use sonus gray end sonus green clay.

Gray being a medium cutting clay and green being a fine detailing clay with either a mix of a shampoo and water or anti static detail spray.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Quality responses, as ever chaps..:approve:

The AG Tar Remover sounds like a good idea. I still have some from when I used it (with great results) on my Punto. The tar specks literally just ran off.

Cheers,
D.

Mito Sportiva 135
I use sonus gray end sonus green clay.

Gray being a medium cutting clay and green being a fine detailing clay with either a mix of a shampoo and water or anti static detail spray.

What is the difference in cut between grey and green do you know? I normally use Sonus grey and have found it to be pretty non-abrassive, just don't apply much pressure and use plenty of lube. Just like a Friday night... ;)

106 GTi
The green was said to be so mild it would no remove wax, not sure how convinced I am by this!

ST
The green Sonus bar is describribed on the pack as a 'ultra-fine detailing clay'..the grey one is quite agressive and will leave marring if your not careful with it.

ST
Darren have you got any pics of your car that you give us a look and maybe myself and the others can advise you on specific products to try etc.

Mito Sportiva 135
The green Sonus bar is describribed on the pack as a 'ultra-fine detailing clay'..the grey one is quite agressive and will leave marring if your not careful with it.

Grey one has been ok on mine so far as far as I can tell, but will try the green one out next time. I have only clayed my car once though, don't think it is necessary to do often.

106 GTi
Fits into the routine well before the spring and winter preps. Plastic bag test is a good way of knowing if the car needs it or not.

Personally I dont feel the need to use it lol

The Beast MK4
Excuse my ignoranus but what is the plastic bag test sir?

I'll be partaking in some gentle claying rather soon.

106 GTi
After washing the car, put you hand in a plastic sandwich type bag and rub it over the piant, this will easily allow you to feel any contamination bonded to the paint for the clay to remove.