ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few sports @ curborough sprint track yesterday

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
couple 1*2's and a 197/200

how'd everyone get on with the sprint intro? anyone looking at going into it

BMW 118d MSport
couple 1*2's and a 197/200

how'd everyone get on with the sprint intro? anyone looking at going into it

Well, I can highly recommend it! ;)
I run my 182 FF in standard class (as it left the factory) and tbh there's only about 2 other cars that can get near it (and they're both 2-seater RWDs)

I was one of the instructors yesterday (took you round Elliot - hope you enjoyed it) and it was good to see some Clios out - don't understand why more of us aren't out there competing?
if anyone's interested in finding out more about getting in to sprinting, I'd be happy to give you some pointers - it's not that expensive and a right laugh

If you're near Curborough on the 28th April, I'll be competing in the Sheffield & Hallam Sprint so feel free to come and say hello

And Elliot, YES you should definitely get into it! :)

TT QS
I'm there next Wednesday. Not sure if its like a prearranged event or anything, think it may have something to do with ph. Hopefully there'll be a few cs'ers there. I may run the 1.4 lol

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Curborough have got a members sprint afternoon on this Saturday so I will definitely be there

Cheers for the instructing on Sunday Matt!! Was very persuading and very good

I am defintitley thinking about getting into it!!

if I was to join what steps would I need to take

Obviously purchasing all the kit ie helmet and overalls

Whats else would I need to do?

​Cheers

BMW 118d MSport
Well first step is to join the club (I think there's a membership form in the yearbook you should have been given). For your £23 membership you get the members track afternoons (usually about 6 a year) ;), free entry to any events at Curborough (some of the organising clubs charge spectators:eek:), newsletters and other stuff.

If you then want to get into competitive sprinting you need:
- Your MSA Non-Race National B licence £42; you can apply online and it valid for the calendar year
- Racing overalls, helmet and gloves - depends how much you want to spend but budget around £500-600 if you buy new but you may be able to get cheaper using eBay, Pistonheads, etc
- When you get your licence, the MSA will also send you the Blue Book which has all the rules for motorsport so you'll need to make sure your car complies with that. I took my car along to a sprint at Curborough and asked one of the scrutineers there to give it the once over to make sure I was ok.

With that, you're pretty much ready to go. As a member of the car club you can enter any of the sprints they organise. If you entered the Curborough championship you would also get invites to sprints at Curborough organised by other clubs.

I was planning to go to the track afternoon on Saturday, so if you want to come and find me I'd be happy to talk you through it...

Swift Sport
I was there last week and again today in my MX-5 track car (white with black wheels and a cage).

Hi Matt! :)

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
I was there again today, private reg clio sposport really good day, especially the two lap run

Swift Sport
Indeed... Compared to an open pitlane day at Silverstone, Curborough is loose change. If it's local then even better as you can pop down any weekend and see classic or exotic cars putting laps in.

Swift Sport
any charge this weekend? to get in was gonna pop over

This weekend is the BTRDA 75 Year Celebration Event on Sat 27th April, and on the Sunday it's the Sheffield and Hallamshire MC Sprint. I've no idea if there will be an entry fee, but I'd say it's unlikely as I've only paid to get in once in several years of attending.

Iceberg 172
l will be over on Sunday i reckon Ste, got the pain in the ass that is work on Saturday.
I have only been over once when they had the Morgans there didn't pay then.

BMW 118d MSport
sound any idea what time it kicks off sunday?

Hi guys
I'll be competing on Sunday (car no 3 - Black 182 FF).
Practice runs start at 9-15. There'll be 2 of them before we start the timed runs.
Usually have a lunch break around 1-ish. If we all behave ourselves and don't go flying off we should get a timed run in before lunch and then 2 more after.

If you're around, feel free to come down and say hi

And no, I don't think Sheff and Hallam charge entry, they're a friendly bunch.

BMW 118d MSport
Good to see you again on the intro day, and thanks for no making me go round in a Beemer ;-) Curborough may be short, but it's DAMN difficult to get a properly good lap in. Will keep an eye out for your track days... :)

Phase 1 172
Hi Matt, Mike here with the silver 172 at the sprint on Sunday. Just thought I'd say hi and let you know that my shed (Clio) finally decided to work. Turned out the starter motor had stuck and it hadn't immobilised itself at all! The RAC guy who came along said he saw it all the time on Clio's that have been doing track days and not letting the engine cool properly so one to watch out for in future....

To Elliot182, its definately a good laugh doing sprinting and about as cheap as you can get in motorsport circles. Just be aware that all motorsport leads to unhealthy bank balances and accept that fact and you will be fine!